Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: build a clod--Advise needed on wheel base size etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 02:18 AM   #1

Default build a clod--Advise needed on wheel base size etc.

First off.. I have read allot and this place has helped me allot on another build that got me into crawling.
Since this is my first post Ill go into a little detail on my other rig first.

I bought a new-bright crawler and started modifying it into a 12.5 2.2 rig. (got into the hobby cheap to see if this was my thing or not Original r/c Cost me 43$ with shipping) now It has a homemade cane chassis I call the newcane.

Now I want a better rig since researching the clod pimpcanes
I have decided on building a bigger rig. and using clod axles.
I was driving down the road one day and saw a f650 crewcab and just had to have one as a crawler. when I got home, I went on youtube and saw this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adikB0nJv5k

That vid got me hooked I need a 6door f650.
I saw proline was coming out with a 1/8th crewcab body. Soon as it came out I bought one to check the size..
If I make it into a 6door it will come out to 17.5 to 18 inch wheel base..

I want it to look like this, but use a cane type chassis and 6 doors. Taller tires. scale as can be but still able to be a good crawler.

Last edited by Wayne S; 03-25-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Wayne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2008, 02:26 AM   #2

This is were I will be doing my crawling. Not so worried about comp rig, but still be a capable rig enough to handle my terrain.
I live 75 yards from the ocean and this is were it would mostly be used.

Last edited by Wayne S; 03-23-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:43 AM   #3

What Size wheel base should I try and achieve, by looking at the pictures?
Ill need 2 bodies, so if I have to, I can make the body even longer by extending the bed. This is going to be my ultimate build. So I don't care how long it takes to build it. I want to be-able to bring this thing to family members houses and have their jaws drop when they see it, and clime their couches etc.

I'm just starting to buy pieces little at a time and set them aside till the parts are ready.. What tires would you use in my conditions? Would also like to make the back a dually.

I have the manual etc. off the Tamiya site and parts numbers needed to build the axles. What stock parts would you replace (stock parts that would broking or not worth using etc.)

I have a TQ3 so I'm going to build it as an all wheel steering. I'm pretty sure with the size of it, I will need it.

Any help on what parts etc. I should use and be happy with would be great full.. I hope I painted a big enough picture to show my crawling spot and what I want to achieve. Not saying I want a big$ rig.. But a rig that is capable of doing what it needs to do. Like most people, I'm on A tight budget. Specially this time of year, Since one of my other hobbies. drag racing takes up most of my hobby$.

If you were in my shoes what would your rig. Parts,wheel base,tires,electronics be?

Thanks for taking the time and reading my thread.

Wayne

Last edited by Wayne S; 03-23-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #4

Default No one has advise in this thread?

I made another thread in the tire section,, Seams thats were it should be..
Now I measured the stock wheel base of the stock 1/8th f650 body, is 14.5.. The rear door with my calipers comes to 2.952.

So if I just make it a 6door with stock bed.. Wheel base will be 17 7/16inches
round it off to say 17 1/2 inches. Would that be enough?.. Or since I'm using 2 bodies
should I stretch the bed to gain more wheel base? If so what wheel base should I try to achieve.

Any help would be great
Wayne.

I'm serious about this build.. Being on a budget. I have to buy parts at a time,,,,,,,mostly on a weekly bases. Knowing what parts I'm using upfront and making a list helps with a budget. So as you go with your project there is always something you can buy depending on the money at hand or when the part is needed for the project.

I do the same with real cars. I also do the same in my line of work. carpentry/mill work/cabinet making.

NOTED: I edited my first post and put a picture of a real 6door to compare to the crew cab shown.

Last edited by Wayne S; 03-25-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #5

Wye no reply's?????
Old 03-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Debunking old stereotypes

My first Cane was at a 16" WB, my new Cane is at 18" WB. My front axle needs a rebuild, while I have it torn down for repairs, I'm also going to cut my chassis back to a 16" WB. I personally prefer a 16"WB after trying both.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

When I ordered my PC I asked R2J what was the most common WB ordered and he said 17" so that's what I got.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
When I ordered my PC I asked R2J what was the most common WB ordered and he said 17" so that's what I got.
So seams I'm on the right track with a 17 1/2 then for a 40 series rig?

Anyone have suggestions on what stock tamiya axle parts not to buy?
another words that will break and need to be upgraded to after market anyway? Knuckels are one part that seams aftermarket might be better of with. like say jp custum grooved for the sub Cs.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
My first Cane was at a 16" WB, my new Cane is at 18" WB. My front axle needs a rebuild, while I have it torn down for repairs, I'm also going to cut my chassis back to a 16" WB. I personally prefer a 16"WB after trying both.
16 will not fit the body I'm looking to build. 17 1/2 is as short as I can go.
What size tires did you use?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:36 AM   #10
Holmes Hobbies

Most supers are running moad 40 XL's.I would also get R2J's axle tubes.The C's are gonna be the next thing that breaks.I would also look at so good servo's and mounts.Thakes a lot to turn 40's especially if you plan on running knuckle packs.The stock gears are ok but you should at lease get a locker.I would buy all aluim. gears but thats me.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:38 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
This seems to be getting longer by the day. I would say now the most common is 18in... I had a 20in go out the other day..
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:07 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
This seems to be getting longer by the day. I would say now the most common is 18in... I had a 20in go out the other day..
Right now my rear axle is with motor to the rear, if I flipped it and redrilled new holes do you know how much WB I would gain? Just a thought...
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #13

Quote:
What are your thoughts. What setup would you run? If you don't want to put your self in an awkward place by being a manufacturer/supplier. Could you pm me your thoughts?

Seeing your canes has got me hooked on wanting a clod setup now. If it wasn't for your backbone. My newbright would be in the trash right now. But I'm happy with what is now.

Thank you
Wayne
Old 03-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD13 View Post
Most supers are running moad 40 XL's.I would also get R2J's axle tubes.The C's are gonna be the next thing that breaks.I would also look at so good servo's and mounts.Thakes a lot to turn 40's especially if you plan on running knuckle packs.The stock gears are ok but you should at lease get a locker.I would buy all aluim. gears but thats me.
How would the Moabs handle when they get wet? My Newbright still has the stock electronics right now(I need to make a box to keep the board dry) so,my 2.2 moabs are untested in that part.

I guess when push comes to shove. I might end up needing 2 sets of tires depending on what, I want to do that day/session.. Maybe one of them things were you can't have your cake and eat it to.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Wayne S; 03-27-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #15

Well if you really want to impress with size maybe you should go with a 1/5 or a 1/6 body, I seen some pretty cheap from Newscale on ebay and they look good to me...not sure about a 650 though...

Maybe you should prioritize your requirements in terms of looks vs performance, as seldom the two things go together...

I can't suggest much as I am new to the forum and RC rockcrawling, but running a 1/1 I'd advise against too long a wheelbase.
And if you don't want to hack through your new body and still retain scale looks and good articulation I am sure you will need to raise the body mounts to heaven...
I don't see how you may crawl over those rocks with anything like the Tamiya F350 - just to mention a nice scale truck...

Last edited by Gumbo; 03-27-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Gumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
Well if you really want to impress with size maybe you should go with a 1/5 or a 1/6 body, I seen some pretty cheap from Newscale on ebay and they look good to me...not sure about a 650 though...

Maybe you should prioritize your requirements in terms of looks vs performance, as seldom the two things go together...

I can't suggest much as I am new to the forum and RC rockcrawling, but running a 1/1 I'd advise against too long a wheelbase.
And if you don't want to hack through your new body and still retain scale looks and good articulation I am sure you will need to raise the body mounts to heaven...
I don't see how you may crawl over those rocks with anything like the Tamiya F350 - just to mention a nice scale truck...
Body will look scale,,, chassis will be a backbone cane type with clod axles.
Not looking for it to be a comp rig, Just needs to do what it needs to do.

Hight don't matter much, will be lexan. A 6door in a larger scale then 1/8th body would be real big to big. Body would be to top heavy.

Guess we can call it semi scale.

If I was to build a comp rig,, It would have to look crazy all cut up like a vett or a Ferrari Enzo or something like that.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #17

Quote:
That was me. I figured if Copperhead can do it... Not too many bodies out there for a 20 inch cane though.
Grenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #18

So what is the verdict? Go with an 18 inch wheel base?