Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Stock Clods Advice pls!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Question Stock Clods Advice pls!

I may keep my original Clod in its original state...received it yesterday

it was owned by a chick ...you can tell it hasn't been man handled the body is perfect and there is hardly a scratch on the bottom too etc

the electronics...had smoke coming out of some parts and the servos (Sanwa) are crap ....I also changed the motors to some 540 Tamiya Sports Tuned type
one of the motors has smoke coming out (these are pretty old motors I had lying around ) every time the clod moves...
there was also smoke from the speed controller part that has the Caution Hot sticker on it ...

last issue was the front motor just spins without about 10% wheel movement ...I checked the pinion and its OK next I have to open the axle and see what surprises are in stall
interesting though the old Sanwa radio is running perfectly also looks brand new (photos are bad)

for those of you who keep an original Clod I need to ask some general help on how you are running the electronics please! is there anything that I should change like the original steering or anything else ?
please post your setup if possible !
ah tires aren't glued either

Last edited by TheHeadHunter; 04-26-2008 at 08:11 PM.
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
RCC Addict

If you want to keep the Clod semi-original, ditch the manual speed controller for an electronic one. Most ESC's (including the Moped) can handle dual 27T stock motors.

For the suspension, oil shocks are a nice improvement. You really only need 4 instead of the 8 currently shown.

Stock Clodbuster steering is vague at best, and you'll probably end up breaking the plastic servo saver on the gearbox. If you want to stick with the single servo, a good hi-torque servo will help. Strengthening the steering links to 1/4" will also help, as does out replacement aluminum steering kit.

As you drive the Clod in stock form, you'll begin to see areas that you can improve on. Modifying it as you go is part of the fun of owning one of these, and can often lead to some of the awesome rigs shown on this site!
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
If you want to keep the Clod semi-original, ditch the manual speed controller for an electronic one. Most ESC's (including the Moped) can handle dual 27T stock motors.

For the suspension, oil shocks are a nice improvement. You really only need 4 instead of the 8 currently shown.

Stock Clodbuster steering is vague at best, and you'll probably end up breaking the plastic servo saver on the gearbox. If you want to stick with the single servo, a good hi-torque servo will help. Strengthening the steering links to 1/4" will also help, as does out replacement aluminum steering kit.

As you drive the Clod in stock form, you'll begin to see areas that you can improve on. Modifying it as you go is part of the fun of owning one of these, and can often lead to some of the awesome rigs shown on this site!
Thanks Brett ...how about the smoke coming out of the motor, is that because of ESC ?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I just got my new Clod Friday and spent all night building it up. I plan to keep it as stock as possible myself. I just bought a new ESavage ESC off eBay for $65 shipped and once I remove the MSC and the plate it mounts to, I will have a place to mount the dual 7.2 bsttery packs in its location. I also found that the steering was poor, so I did a qiuck and free mod. I pulled the original round servo horn and use a longer one, giveing the arms more throw. What a major improvement, Next I will ise some aluminum tubing to help strengthen the stock links. I plan to upgrade as time goes on, but i wanna keep it as true to Clod based as possible. Someday make a Monster Jam style truck out of it, piece by piece. Deffiantly upgrade the electronics, starting with the Servos and Speed Control.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

when i got my first clod i also thought i would keep it all stock, well thought is the key word. After many hours of work, lots of money, and 3-4 clods later i always ended up modding every one of them.

and the real money pit with air retracts to raise and lower the whole truck

these are great trucks to have and a blast to run.
AWILLIAMS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

also remember, you can find a ton of stock and aftermarket parts on ebay for these trucks
AWILLIAMS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:33 AM   #7
RCC Addict

actually my first Clod is a crawler...its my second I want to keep stock because of the condition I got it in...

here is my first Clod
Old 04-29-2008, 12:51 AM   #8

This is my first Clod. I have added an ESC, spools in the front and rear, bearings, and high torque servo. I need to upgrade the stock motors because they don't have enough torque for the weight of the truck.

This is a link showing how the stock motors don't have enough torque:

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=MVI_1855.flv :-(
dleigh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I took mine out today ...it hasn't seen daylight in years it was a great day to be honest it was my first stock Clod run ever...it was great fun .Had a barbecue with the family at a nice section of Kobe called Ashiya there is a dried up river bank that meets the sea tons of rocks ...cant wait to get my future Rock Racer out there...but the Clod was a blast!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I just ordered a HPI ESavage ESC for mine and replaced the original pogostick shocks with 8 TLT shock, what a diggerence in the way it handles! I cant wait to see what it will do with 14.4v of power to the stock motors. Its decent now, but I bet it will liven right up. Next upgrade will be a better servo, then a better chassis.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote