Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: The Duke gets reworked (pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2004, 11:03 PM   #1
PapaGriz Yo

Default The Duke gets reworked (pics)

Well, after getting my butt kicked in Utah the other weekend I decided The Duke was in need of some changes. I found out the wheelbase was too short, it was too narrow, the CG was too high, and I needed 4ws.
Now I was real happy with it up to this point but I built it for competitions and it was clear I did not have the right setup to hang with the Utah guys.
So I:
Lowered the battery by placing it in the center of the chassis
Extended the wheelbase to 16+ inches
Put in softer, longer coils but added limiting straps to keep the ride height low
Used offset wheels to get wider, Savage tires are temporary, new ones are coming
I am still werking on the 4ws.
I dont like the way it looks near as much as before but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to compete. It pulled a 1292 on the makeshift 30 degree ramp.
What do yall think?

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2004, 11:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The Duke gets reworked (pics)

man, thats thing is awesome. what kind of wheels are you getting for it?
jordanator62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:59 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

it looks better more capable for 4 wheel steering use a 4 channal stick radio i works for me cheaper than a 3 channal that will do what you want
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:59 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It still looks good.
nktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:25 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Man the Duke Looks Good.
Grizzly,
Let me know if you still need those Motor Mounts.
BLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Not bad! I really like having the limiting straps on mine, it keeps it nice and low, but if you put em in the right spots they won't limit flex at all ;)

Basically, I zip tied my uppers to my chassis braces, only bent one upper link so far, and it was from the gearbox hitting it on a 4' jump

How wide are you? I LOVE the extra width from my custom rims, but now my center diff hangs up everywhere! I'm yet to roll over though, seeing as the rig is pretty much square My next one I'm aiming for 17.5" wheelbase and k-rocks, filled with water and with some homebrew aluminum rims if I ever get that lathe from ace (not his fault, just wondering how to do it best!) Next rig is also getting a ton of reduction, possibly the custom outers I keep pondering, and 1/2" links... I'm making "teh uber clod"

I might have to get shocks this time around though!
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:42 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Even though it is a CLOD, I have always like The Duke because it is so close to the real thing.
Now I just like it more.

How much do the wider wheels hinder the servo. Ive only go one set of rims so I dont know how much of a deiffernce it makes. The mechanics of a longer moment arm due to less back spacing definetly applies but I just done know how much on RCs
BARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:51 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARK
Even though it is a CLOD, I have always like The Duke because it is so close to the real thing.
Now I just like it more.

How much do the wider wheels hinder the servo. Ive only go one set of rims so I dont know how much of a deiffernce it makes. The mechanics of a longer moment arm due to less back spacing definetly applies but I just done know how much on RCs
In my case it definetely applies!

And clods are awesome
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:58 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

HEHEHE I love this sport. It looks really good. I love modding these crawlers, especially after a competition. It seems that I get all my really good ideas then.

I too modded the Furless Yeti. Reduced the CG substantially while increasing the center clearance to 5". I'll get a pic or two up.

Great job on the mods. It should be event that much better (not that it didn't already kick ass).

Hope you can make it to the next meet. Would be a perfect comeback.

Late

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:47 AM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

Jordanator, I have a set of Losi LST tires coming, and a set of IMEX JumboMaxx Swamp Dawg tires coming also. I saw Surferboy run the IMEX's at the last comp and whoop my butt with them, plus they still look good.

bigred, I am afraid to have to relearn how to drive with a stick radio, thanks for the suggestion but I will try the TQ3 first.

nktrnl,

Blade, I totally forgot to email you, I do still want them and will contact you.

Dave, I am 15.75" wide with the Savage tires, should be wider with the SwampDawgs. You can just barely make out the steel cable running from the chassis and wrapping around the uper link post in the last photo, I like the idea of limiting straps. We'll see how they werk. "teh uber clod" made me LOL, and yes, shocks are important.

BARK, I didnt think you'd ever reply about a clod! Glad to hear you like it. The wider wheels will hurt steering I think (I have not driven it yet) but Pinchflat, Kaetwo, and Jason, all run wide Clod tires and wheel wideners every time I have seen them and it didnt seem to hurt them. 4ws helps to make up for it I guess. I was narrow before because I thought good steering was super important but it wasnt enough at the last event. We'll see what happens.

Kaetwo, 5" of clearance and you lowered the CG. 8O Damn, back to the drawing board for me, I lowered the CG but center clearance is still only 4.75". I'm not giving up though! I really enjoy the comps because they push the designs so much.

Thanks for all the replies guys, from the general opinions maybe it dont look as bad as I thought. Still more werk to do but I will update.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:32 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Sounds Good Grizzly
BLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:45 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

In my opinion, you'll be much happier with the LST's. They look plenty close to a bogger. And the rig looks killer! 8O
jeep94xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 02:48 PM   #13
Say hello to my dactylion

The competition gets yet tighter... SWEET...Looks great Grizz...

You know... Martha Stewart ran the LST tires for about 2 minutes... WTF??? We wanted a real trial of the tires and Martha just put them on then pulled them off and sold them. (I guess he just did't like them or had buyers remorse, don't know?) So let us know how you likey. I'm still hoping for a LST sized step pin.

I know what you meen about building to compete. I love the scale look but you end up tweeking and tweeking. One day I'll build a scale 2.2 or something to satify the need for scale. But, sigh, it will probubly get tweeked also.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 02:52 PM   #14
Say hello to my dactylion

The competition gets yet tighter... SWEET...Looks great Grizz...

You know... Martha Stewart ran the LST tires for about 2 minutes... WTF??? We wanted a real trial of the tires and Martha just put them on then pulled them off and sold them. (I guess he just did't like them or had buyers remorse, don't know?) So let us know how you likey. I'm still hoping for a LST sized step pin.

I know what you meen about building to compete. I love the scale look but you end up tweeking and tweeking. One day I'll build a scale 2.2 or something to satify the need for scale. But, sigh, it will probubly get tweeked also.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #15
Ace
Rock Crawler

I like the scale too. The long wb doesn't look "right"

We need a WB and width rule. Maybe something like a 2x4 wood box that your truck has to sit in...

Untill then I guess I'll make mine 80" long if I gotta.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I think it looks better than before... with the exception of the pink springs
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:36 PM   #17
PapaGriz Yo

CC, I was wondering how long before someone gave me grief about the pink springs. After I do some driving I will take it back apart and paint the frame and springs. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:24 AM   #18
PapaGriz Yo

Jeep94XJ, I think you are right, I still believe that the LST's are going to be better. However, I am going to try every tire made before I give in a buy a set of the Pro-line Giant Trac's. There has to be something that werks as well. BTW, a compliment from someone with a rig as bad friggin arse as yours makes my day.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:31 AM   #19
PapaGriz Yo

Pinchy, I plan on cutting, siping, narrowing, and slicing up the LST's in every way possible to see if they will werk. I was suprised to hear that Martha gave up on them in one day. If it takes a couple sets to get them figured out then I will do that. Hell, I still have not given up on the Savages.... in the pics you can see dark spots where I cut off all of the smaller lugs. I was impressed with Surferboy and his Necko with the Swamp Dawgs so that's why I decided to try them as well. Call me stubborn but I just want to find something that werks as good as the Pro-Lines, there has to be something.

I hope it proves to be closer competition next time. Thanks for the compliment.
Ace and I have been talking and are planning on having two rigs, one for comps and one for scale looks (well actually Ace will have 4 rigs 8O ). Plus I have a set of Bruiser axles in the garage waiting to become a true scale version of my 1:1 Bronc. Rear leafs and all.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:35 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

hey grizzley, how soft are the imex jumbomaxx swamp dawg tires???

jorDANK
jordanator62 is offline   Reply With Quote