Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: cobalt powered clod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #1

Default cobalt powered clod?

hi people, i was just looking around the clod section and was wondering why no one is using the cobalt puller motors in the clod rigs? is it to do with cost? or has it been tryed and doesnt work? i have a few 6 turn cobalt laying around looking for new homes and was thinking of building myself a 2.2 pimp cane fitted with 2 cobalt motors? opinions please, thanks

max
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Would they be to long?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
hi people, i was just looking around the clod section and was wondering why no one is using the cobalt puller motors in the clod rigs? is it to do with cost? or has it been tryed and doesnt work? i have a few 6 turn cobalt laying around looking for new homes and was thinking of building myself a 2.2 pimp cane fitted with 2 cobalt motors? opinions please, thanks

max
do it man !!!!!!!!! Love the idea ...it crossed my mind too

problems would be #1 lower links in the way
#2 you will fit them under something like a torsion pimp cane but the idea seems too crazy without suspension the thing will be like a flying brick...

Last edited by TheHeadHunter; 05-17-2008 at 10:24 AM.
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #4

duno, i wouldnt have to worry about clearing links as it would be a pimp cane chassis, but i would have to worry about clearing the wheels on full lock upfront. the motors i have are roughly 65mm long, could some one tell me how long a 55t lathe is and with full lock on how much of a gap they have between there lathe n wheel? thanks max
Old 05-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

A guy one state north from me, i think he is Hotwheels000 or something on here runs a pair of Astroflight Pullmasters in his super. They seem to work really well.
Dumptruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Hi Miniman

I get the measurement of my 55t lathes to 50mm from the bolt holes to the tip of the endbell.

I can't really help on the turning radius as i use a J2-TT chassis, which has a four link set-up

heavyD
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
RCC Addict

actually damn my cobalt just clears (I just tried) even the lower links in my Clod Super
my Cobalt 6t is exactly 6.5 cm or 2.6inch and the distance between the tires is not even close to an issue ,but I am running a slight of sett on the wheel adapters

so I'm pretty sure its possible to build

I'm guessing it will be princely though you might need to go Lipo and MM or a dual ESC setup but I'm not an expert on the electronics
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #8

i'l try and pick up a pair of clod axles over the next few weeks and give it a go. if it works well i might even enter it to run at the 2008 UK nationals. supose it'll abit trial and error really supose i could try a 2.2 clod blackjack or somefing.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

We're obviously not talking about a Cobalt Puller from HH...are we? He doesn't make a 6T, so I assume you're talking about another type of "cobalt" motor?

The HH Pullers are pretty long...about 2.5" vs. a standard 2" length 540 can to the end bell tip. If that 1/2" would be enough to make a difference, I'm not sure...but it would be a pretty kick ass ride with 2 Pullers on a Clod
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #10

there identical motors to the HH puller motors just a different number of turns and havent had there shafts turned down . im on a mission to get my hands on some axles and hopefully i'll have some $$ to get a new mamba max to power the two beasts
Old 05-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Better yet....pick up 2 Max's and have independent control of each motor for dig (but you'd need the extra channel on your TX).
Old 05-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I actualy am trying the same thing right now. (I was going to clock my axles for the clearance issues.)
I'm waiting on motors right now.
I'm not much of an electriction (if fact I have a hard time spelling it) so will one MM be enough for a two cobalts?I have only a 3 channel radio and am using the third channel already.
Speedyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

where can i find those motors
clod driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #14

i got the 6 turn pullers from a guy in the uk selling his old stock (im in the UK). i got 8 from him in total and at a fantastic price i could hook you up with one if your interested. as for the MM running two cobalts, i have no idea but im sure homlies hobbies will be able to tell us.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

You could also go with the Monster Max in lieu of the MM if you want to make sure you have enough amperage
Old 05-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I'm gunna kick you're ass Max, stop stealing my ideas.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
You could also go with the Monster Max in lieu of the MM if you want to make sure you have enough amperage
If I started this project after I heard of the Monster Max.. Thats what I would have done but, thats not the way it happened:-(.
or I could play musical chairs with my speed controls and then justify getting a new ESC hmmmmmmmm dang everything I have has a good ESC. Guess I could use the MM for a 2.2 build I've been thinking about.
Speedyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #18

sorry chris but the idea sounds so tempting anyway its still an idea really, havent got the axles, esc or anything to even think about starting the build. the monster max seems a little overkill for two of these motors really, a mamba max will even be a big much, i may even try and get away with a sidewinder and take the cheap and cheerful route.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #19
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
sorry chris but the idea sounds so tempting anyway its still an idea really, havent got the axles, esc or anything to even think about starting the build. the monster max seems a little overkill for two of these motors really, a mamba max will even be a big much, i may even try and get away with a sidewinder and take the cheap and cheerful route.
You'll definitely want to first talk to John Holmes on that decision. I think a Sidewinder is just enough for ONE cobalt motor...much less TWO 6T's. Alot will depend on what voltage you'll be running also.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I would be guessing nobody's really gone in-depth into an experiment due to the high price of the motors.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote