Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: GD-600 gear reduction on clod axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default GD-600 gear reduction on clod axles

I just finished installing the first of my gear reductions on my axles. I had to enlarge the hole in the case itself to accept the large bearing housing on the reduction unit but it was a perfect fit. I am usuing athe stock 13 tooth pinion on the tranny but I was wondering what pinion to run on the motor itself. I have no idea what the ratio of a clod axle is. The reduction unit is 2.5 to 1. But just turning the main gear in the reduction unit itself I am afraid that a 9 tooth pinion on the motor would be a little bit too low.
Has anyone else out there used one of these units on a clod axle before and if so what pinion would you suggest.
aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2004, 06:50 PM   #2

Default Re: GD-600 gear reduction on clod axles

I would say go with the 9 tooth. If you are using it for strictly crawling, it doesn't need to go fast.
tbone4298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

is that like an airplane one i was going to put one on mine but didnt think it would work how much length did it add from the gear case to the end of the motor .any way a stock clod ratio is 30:1 and if your going to be doing hard core crawling a 10 ,9,8 would just make it crawl stuff you wuoldnt beleave im glad you did this and i hope you can answer my question and i can answer yours
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It is the airplane reduction unit. WE had to have the outputshaft machined down to accept the stock pinion. As far as width the unit is
1 1/16 thick so I had to add 3/4 inch wheel widners to compensate for the diffrence. We first installed one on my buddies TXT shown in the pics on our other post. The diffrence was amazing so I decided to add them to the clod I am building to see how they would work. I will post some pics tomorrow after I get the other one installed and the motors installed.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Please post some pics. I have the TTR 7:1 on one of my clods but have been looking at the GD-600 for one of the others. I would like to see how much room you have and if there are any clearance problems.

Thanks,
Kevin
KrawlerTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Yea...I'd have to see it to beleive it. Have you crawled anything hardcore yet? I'm just curious if it would hold up to some ABUSE.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:27 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie
I just finished installing the first of my gear reductions on my axles. I had to enlarge the hole in the case itself to accept the large bearing housing on the reduction unit but it was a perfect fit. I am usuing athe stock 13 tooth pinion on the tranny but I was wondering what pinion to run on the motor itself. I have no idea what the ratio of a clod axle is. The reduction unit is 2.5 to 1. But just turning the main gear in the reduction unit itself I am afraid that a 9 tooth pinion on the motor would be a little bit too low.
Has anyone else out there used one of these units on a clod axle before and if so what pinion would you suggest.
Depends on what motors you have. Mag Mayhems or lathe motors, leave it 13T, if you have standard stock motors or anything below 27T, go with the 9 tooth.

Oh, and I'd love to see pics of how ya did it ;)
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:10 PM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

I tried putting a Maxx Products reduction on mine and it stuck the motors out so far I couldnt make it werk cuz it interfered with the lower links. You need to post pics of this if you're serious.
If the reduction unit is 2.5:1 with the 9 tooth pinion this will give you a overall reduction of 75:1. Sounds good to me.
If the 2.5:1 reduction was with a larger pinion and you are considering adding the 9 tooth for more reduction then it all depends on what pinion the reduction unit used. There is such thing as too much gear reduction.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #9
PapaGriz Yo

Just checked tower, the GD 600 uses a 18T pinion for 2.5:1 reduction. If you switch that to a 9T yer reduction will be 150:1 8O . Yer gonna break stuff with that much reduction.

Maybe try the optional 15T pinion for 3.0:1 reduction, this gives a 90:1 reduction.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:32 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Here is a pic of the unit installed. I am usuing t600 motors. They have the same specs as the mayhems. There is going to be a clearance problem. I have already widened the truck 1 inch either side and with this there is only 3\4 of an inch between the motor tabs and the tires. My tire width is at 15 1/4 inches now. I believe that if I widen it another 3/8 inch it will help with the problem.

Old 08-11-2004, 07:49 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Old 08-11-2004, 07:57 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info Grizzly I really appreciate it. I am going to use the 18 tooth pinions that came with the reduction units. The local hobby store doesnt have any smaller pinions and the only other hobby store is 50 miles from here.

The machine shop will hopefully be finished with the steering links tomorrow and I can have it ready to go by this weekend.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:03 AM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

Glad I could be of help Aubie,

Looks like you have more clearance to the lower link than I did. With my links mounted on the axle tube and the hi-clearance bend in them, I just couldnt get it to fit. Let us know how it werks. Nice rig BTW.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I finally completed the gear reduction install. Had to take the wheel width out another 3\8 inch. The wheel width outside to outside is now 16 1/4 inches.

I used the stock 13 tooth in the tranny and a 12 tooth on the reduction unit. Hopefully Grizzly will chime in and tell me what the final ratio is.

I plan on installing the electronics tonight and will test run it tomorrow. Hopefully all will go well. The offical crawling test will be this weekend.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:08 PM   #15
PapaGriz Yo

The 12 tooth pinion gibes you a 3.8:1 reduction on the GD600 so the final ratio will be 114:1.
I am interested to hear how the drivetrain holds up in the long run to that kind of reduction.
Drive it like ya stole it man!!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:30 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I just finished the first test run and it is AWSOME. Slow as christmas but it will crawl through anything. It has enough torque to push a recliner across a ceramic tile floor which suprised the fire out of me. The gp T600 electric fly motors are better than I expected. I ran about 15 to 20 minutes and the motors were just barely warm. I am greatly pleased with the setup overall. Hopefully this weekend everything will stand up to some real action.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Nice job! I was toying with the idea of thying to hook some kinda reduction up to my basterdized clod. 9t pinions and stock 540 motors make the thing a bit quicker than I'd like. How much articulation are you getting? The way your motor sticks out over the links makes me think you'd have some clearance issues at points. Has this been an issue?
bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:23 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Articulation is limited to to about 85 degrees which not really a problem. Had to widen the wheels 1 3/8 inch either side to take care of the clearance issue with the distance the motor sticks out now with the reduction unit being is 1 1/16 wide. Other than that no complaints at all. The torque is awsome and runtimes are about 25 to 30 minutes now.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:25 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

How long are those motors compared to a regular clod 540 motor or a regular endbell motor? I guess what I'm trying to see is if you would have more clearance with a lathe motor?

Kevin
KrawlerTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:13 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

The motors are 1/4 inch longer than standard endbell motors.