Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: rockbull chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #1

Default rockbull chassis?

I have a rockbull chassis and would like to hear some feedback if others have this chassis and how happy they are with it maybe some pictures of how they have them set up
rockbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #2

I am in the process of finishing my Rockbull kit. I will try to post some pictures soon. Did you get the chassis or the whole kit? Use locktite everywhere! Get some wheel extensions from RC4WD my tires rub on my lower links bad. I am fighting "clodstall" right now but am going to try smaller pinion in rear axle along with wiring motors in parallel and uping my voltage from a 7 cell nihm to a 3c lipo. I hope this combination helps, the motors stalling sucks. Good luck on your build I will try and post some pictures of my truck when I finally get it "right".
JPB-rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I am still working on mine. I had it built up once but I didn't like the stock gearing so I changed some things around and am working on some gear reduction units. Here's a couple pics.

MasterShake44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Nice! What wheels are those?
NitroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #5

The wheels are RC4WD Rockstar 40 series beadlocks. They are very cool and extra beefy. I'm still trying to dial my truck in but its half the fun messing with it.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPB-rides View Post
The wheels are RC4WD Rockstar 40 series beadlocks. They are very cool and extra beefy. I'm still trying to dial my truck in but its half the fun messing with it.

Yes it is. My favorite part is building and modifying.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #7

I bought the rockbull 3 chassis with the bent links and have already broke one of the lower links not super happy with chassis so far
Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #8

The bent links don't seem as strong as the straight links and it is a heavy truck. I'v only had mine out a few times but my bent links are holding up so far. Whats your electrical setup? Are you having clodstall issues? I just ordered up so more goodies to help try and get it dialed in. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

What other goodies did you get?
NitroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:41 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbull View Post
I bought the rockbull 3 chassis with the bent links and have already broke one of the lower links not super happy with chassis so far

I have a question for you on how you mounted the bent links.
Did you mount the shock to the pre-bent part of the link, or after the bend? Here's a picture of how I mounted mine, it seems pretty strong this way and it doesn't create a rediculouse ride height.
I also put a hair elastic thing that most people use to make scale bungee cords around the shock mounts to get rid of the little bit of slop you get with bent links.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #11

on the rockbull III chassis it has the rocket bent lower links I had them mounted two ways actually the first way I had them mounted like in the pictures sat way too high and had no give in the suspension so I changed them around and it lowered the truck which was much better until the one link broke still doesnt seem like a real capable chassis
as far as electronics go I have rooster crawler 55T integey motors and futaba high torque servos locked front and rear

If I had to do it over again Id go with a stick or hustler chassis
Old 09-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake44 View Post
I have a question for you on how you mounted the bent links.
Did you mount the shock to the pre-bent part of the link, or after the bend? Here's a picture of how I mounted mine, it seems pretty strong this way and it doesn't create a rediculouse ride height.
I also put a hair elastic thing that most people use to make scale bungee cords around the shock mounts to get rid of the little bit of slop you get with bent links.

Cool setup! I was thinking a rubberband or somthing for the slop but I like the hairtie thing and I have daughters so its kinda free. I never thought of mounting the shocks like that. It looks good but have you run it that way? Do the shock mounts rub on your Mudslingers? I ordered 1inch wheel wideners to help with the clearance for the tires. It looks like you have body mounts dangling from your chassis supports, where do you get em at? My mounts on the side take a beating. Did you have any luck with your gear reduction units for your axles? I want to make these axles work but they are really high geared.