Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Jumbo Kongs and my setup ??'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Jumbo Kongs and my setup ??'s

Ok so I am building a all around crawler/basher that WILL NOT be doing any competions and wanted some input. I plan on running the jumbo kongs with my locked front and rear axles on stock motors. As of right now I have a new EVX2 speed controller to replace the mechanical junk it came with. My next upgrades are some minor odds and ends from CPE. I am keeping the stock body and am runnning a 4 link on it until my buddy buys my Nylint from me. at that time I will be going with CPE's Evo 16"wb full kit.
Does this sound like a decent setup to go have fun in? I came from the Nylint section that was here long, long ago so you know I dont expect to much from a crawler
Anyone here running Kongs and have any real input on running them other than the price?
icu_runnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I've seen a messed up CPE chass from running Kongs where it seemed that the chass just bent up while running the Kongs. Here's my Kong build up if ya wanna peep it My Large Scale Clod Build Personally I'd say if you're on a budget that a better route to take if you want a Kong Clod would be to go with an ESP chassis instead and run some longer suspension links to increase the wheelbase from either 13 to 14" to a full 16" or little more. You will also need some wheel wideners and some good high torq servos for the steering as the Kongs is dang heavy and will give just about all adverage servos a run for the money. I know when you run Kongs with stock cases and axle tubes you can hear the plastic making a cracking/flexing sound but you should be fine if it isnt doing like Mach-10
Breaker 1-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
MWRCA'er

Kongs are not crawling tires, like at all.

If you must run them get the Swamp Kong versions the originals are rock hard and stiff.

I'd recommend the 40 series RC4wd rock crushers over the Kongs if you have big tire craving as they are narrower, have a better tread design, and more controlled tread carcass.

Kongs are just to wide, you will have issues with turning the big meats. I understand your just making a basher though so how important turning is really depends on what your use is.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker 1-9 View Post
I've seen a messed up CPE chass from running Kongs where it seemed that the chass just bent up while running the Kongs. Here's my Kong build up if ya wanna peep it My Large Scale Clod Build Personally I'd say if you're on a budget that a better route to take if you want a Kong Clod would be to go with an ESP chassis instead and run some longer suspension links to increase the wheelbase from either 13 to 14" to a full 16" or little more. You will also need some wheel wideners and some good high torq servos for the steering as the Kongs is dang heavy and will give just about all adverage servos a run for the money. I know when you run Kongs with stock cases and axle tubes you can hear the plastic making a cracking/flexing sound but you should be fine if it isnt doing like Mach-10
You have? You can run those chassis over with a car without bending one. I've seen where some of the suspension links bent because of the weight of the Kong tires overextended the shocks, but you'll not hurt the chassis.

The Kong tires, aside from their size, don't offer much benefit for crawling or bashing. In fact, they put a lot of extra stress on components and can lead to broken axles. My suggestion for a crawler/basher would just be stock Clodbuster tires. You can always improve tires later, and they'll provide better traction than the Kongs will.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
Gold Star Baby Momma!

Gots me swamp kongs on my clod. Check out the Jacksonville gtg thread, too lazy to post link. You will need a hella good servo to turn them, mg 995's will not get the job done. Also traxxas rod ends will fail miserably, again check thread.
I did it just so people go wow, love the look on their face when the tires on my rc are as big as their "mall crawler" 1:1's
Kevin
Tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu_runnin View Post
Ok so I am building a all around crawler/basher that WILL NOT be doing any competions and wanted some input. I plan on running the jumbo kongs with my locked front and rear axles on stock motors. As of right now I have a new EVX2 speed controller to replace the mechanical junk it came with. My next upgrades are some minor odds and ends from CPE. I am keeping the stock body and am runnning a 4 link on it until my buddy buys my Nylint from me. at that time I will be going with CPE's Evo 16"wb full kit.
Does this sound like a decent setup to go have fun in? I came from the Nylint section that was here long, long ago so you know I dont expect to much from a crawler
Anyone here running Kongs and have any real input on running them other than the price?
Sounds like a good setup. Kongs will make obstacles less challenging.
Pzl1nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You are running locked diffs all the way around, this will decrease your turning radius and to add the big kongs into the mix!! You will need a 100ft to turn that thing. My suggestion is if you are going to run those tires, unlock the diffs. This will help increse your turning radius.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote