Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Duke's P.C. rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Duke's P.C. rebuild

Well I have been runnin my 18.5" Pimp Cane from jpcustomrcs for well over a year now and thought it time to upgrade and try some new gadgets out. I will have to say it held its own all last year (#1 super in SoCal 07-08series) and at nationals (13th) with the most basics of set-ups. This was my set-up before nationals.

18.5" P.C
Hitec 5955 & 5998
MM ESC
65t Integy motors
Stock housings w/CVDs and lockers, stock gears
Alum. knuckles
Axial wheels w/Moab XLs
3600 6c Nimh split pack
Rx hump pack
Proline Hemi body
Tx Airtronics M8

Before Nationals I decided to start the up-grades. First I changed the motors over to some Holmes Hobbie 55t pro wounds for a little more power and a lot more brake. Then I ditched the rx pack for a CCBEC. I also swapped out my alu tie rods for some ti tie rods from Rocksmith. Oh and a new lid. Overall it ran great at nationals. But there was still something missing from the arsenal (dig).

After the Nationals I had the SoCal series opener to contend with before I could sit down for the total overhaul. I decided to stipe the tires on the front to see if MoabXLs would react a little different then normal, plus all the cool guys were doin it. Seemed to work out well and actually held alittle better then before.

Ok so now I have two months till next comp. I figure two weeks to get all the parts in for the up-grade and 1 1/2 months to learn how to drive it. Now on to the stuff. I have replaced the axle tubes with Integy alu. housings and jpcustomrcs alu. knuckles(on order). Integy alu. gears fr and rr (on order) I have narrowed a set of XTM thorns but am not sure how they come into play yet(maybe some Panther plow boys). I have also added another MM ESC and a PunkRC dual/steer-dig computer (to avoid having to learn how to use a stick). I also swapped out the odd 5998 servo with another 5955. Some of the progress so far.

I want to switch to a 3c lipo as well so I am gonna have to make up the weight I will be missing by taking the sub-c's off the front axle some how. Steel slugs or similar around the knuckle will probly be the answer. Thanks for looking and all comments are appreciated.

Last edited by raul duke; 10-01-2008 at 10:46 AM.
raul duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Nice and Clean rebuild. Your Knuckles are on the Way. For those Front wieghts. When I went to Lipo, I just left the old Sub C's there. Cut the Wires off and used them for Wieght. But Steel Slugs would be better....
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

That is a very nicley built rig. If I were to build a super it would consist of the same components you used. Great job! I'm sure it will be a tough contender.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Managed to get a little more work done over the past couple days. I received and installed the knuckles yesterday. Quick and easy. I have also been messin with different programs for the dig/steer computer. I think I have found one I like. It gives me dual steer and locks the rear ESC into what ever mode it's in at the time, seems to work good but I still need a better battery to test it.

I was gonna just wrap some steel slugs around the knuckles to make up for the missing sub-c weight till I found a better solution. I purchased a 5/8" peice of round rod to cut slugs form, I cut a bunch and was about to wrap them around the knuckles when I realized they were about the same size as the holes in my Axial beadlocks. Sure enough with a little squeezin and hammering they fit very snug, I do not think they will come out and I can add up to 8 slugs per wheel.

Finished product.

Still waiting on a set of Integy alu gears form RCP. That plus a good 3c lipo and I can go drive this beast and give it a proper test.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
no talent hack

5/8ths you say??

thanks for figuring it out. i have been to damn busy to do anything fun lately
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Awesome idea on the lugs, how does that PunkRc computer work? i never did quite understand the concept, wouldn't a 4ch radio do all this rc comp thing does? i have a 4ch pistol grip radio bt, or are there any added benefits?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-hills4x4 View Post
5/8ths you say??

thanks for figuring it out. i have been to damn busy to do anything fun lately
Yep 5/8ths. Deffinate fluke that it worked out that way. I had intended to wrap them around the knuckles. But it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Awesome idea on the lugs, how does that PunkRc computer work? i never did quite understand the concept, wouldn't a 4ch radio do all this rc comp thing does? i have a 4ch pistol grip radio bt, or are there any added benefits?
The computer works well. I have a new DX3R that I have for my 2.2 and did not want to get another radio. So now on my 3ch I have the dual steer/dig all on the third ch. Press up and I am in dual steer mode, down engages the dig. Basically splits my 3rd channel.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Koool idea with the slugs in the holes on the axails,but you should have kept them a secret,bought a vender star and sell them,or do a deal with axail racing.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:37 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Rebuild looks good. I still like the idea of weighted knuckles over the weighted wheels, easier for the tires to spool up without all that weight in them.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Time for a little update on the Pimp Cane. I am only now becoming used to the Punk rc dig steer computer. There's a lot going on there and it takes time to coordinate all the back and forth while in full comp mode. With my win in super class over the weekend I think it's working now.

I also finally bit the bullet and bought a couple sets of plow boys for e-hills4x4 to cut and shut for me. They came out very well and I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Does not matter what kind rock their on these tires just plain hook up.

On to the bling.....

Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Those tires do hook up
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

looks good. i like the chrome thorns. did you shorten your pimpcane for the new wheelbase rule? didnt see nothin written bout it
4ONDFLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ONDFLR View Post
looks good. i like the chrome thorns. did you shorten your pimpcane for the new wheelbase rule? didnt see nothin written bout it
I had to hack off a 1/2 inch and drill a new hole, pretty hard. It's a hair under 18 now.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Great rig Dave!.... you were teaching school last weekend brutha!!.....
axelsnapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:40 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Looks better than ever, I like the new additions
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Super Donk!
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote