Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Just how sturdy are STOCK axles for crawling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #1

Default Just how sturdy are STOCK axles for crawling?

I finally settled on a Hustler chassis. Not as budget friendly as I planned, but I decided I'm not gonna settle for my second or third choice just so I can afford more parts now. I'll just get other parts as I go. My real question is how sturdy are stock axles? I mean BONE STOCK (with the addition of a little hot glue in the diffs)? I'm gonna order the Hustler chassis tomorrow, but I'm gonna wait a couple weeks for anything else.

I'll Have:

Hustler Chassis (ordering tomorrow)
Sidewinder ESC
Integy 45T Lathes 8/9T pinions
Castle BEC
Stock Clod Tires for now
645MG's
8 cell 2/3a pack (maybe 10 as I already have the cells in hand)

How long will the axles hold up to this? Should I upgrade the axle tubes and shafts next or go for wheels/tires?

I plan on:

Aluminum Axle Tubes (HR or Integy need suggestions)
Aluminum Knuckles (need opinions)
Proline Cheyenne Beadlocks
Moab XL's or Claw MT's (need measurements on the claws)
Need wheel adapters but unsure which ones are good
Maybe CVD's (if stockers don't hold up)
Another Sidewinder for independent motor control
Unsure on which 2 stick radio

Basically, I wanna know what's most likely to break first. And I really need opinions from people that have experience with a lot of these parts. I'm really not gonna hold back with this build. I may actually comp this one when I'm done. So if you have experience with what's good and what's not, or other suggestions, please share. It would be a huge help. TIA
chronicspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Most common thing I broke when running stock were the stub axles. Then the next to go were the plastic gears and the occasional plastic knuckle. If you are hard on it, you could bust an axle tube.

The first things I would get (in this order)

Tires/wheels/adapters/CVD's ...if you get these all at the same time you will save yourself from buying 2 different types of wheel adapters.
Full metal gears (don't bother with just buying a locker, it's much less $$ to just go ahead and get the full set of gears)
JP customs Aluminum knuckles
Radio
ESC
Aluminum Knuckles

The really good thing about CVD's is even if you do bust an axle tube or knuckle, you can still drive. If you bust a tube with stock shafts your wheel will fall off. The CVD's won't separate.

Last edited by SVEN; 10-02-2008 at 11:02 PM.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I have ran two different sets of Clod axles for slow crawling and then tested both in a racing Clod later and my experience was;

Didn't crawl for long (workin 6 days/lack of time) but on bind ups I felt the axles were bending to the point where I had to ease off on throttle etc.

In the Racing Clod setup with a dual brushless on 3s Lipos the problem was the knuckles and gears , first three runs I went through 5 broken knuckles at the Cs around the step screw and two sets of front diff gears.

So if you are crwling at lower speeds than SVENs advice first and if you are bashing at higher speeds definately get some nice aluminum knuckles and stronger gears .
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll really be doing more slow crawling, but I am a fan of wheel speed .

I know to let off when I'm bound up (I'm used to snapping shaft on my TLT). So the stock axles may last a little while.

Will the CVD's work with stock wheels/tires for now? I'm trying to break up the parts in smaller groups. Any more advice on which parts specifically? Like which CVD's, gears, axle tubes, and wheel adapters? I'll probably go with JP's knuckles as I've heard them mentioned in a lot of builds, but the other parts I just don't know. I know Integy is kinda so-so, but are their Clod parts good? Or is HR better? Maybe there is a brand I'm missing all together. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

im basically in the same boat you are, building a super with stock axles and hustler chassis. what wheels and wheel adapter size is most popular? what brand of CVD's to go with?
stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #6

It looks like Proline 40 series beadlocks and Moab XL Tires are the choice for Hustler chassis, as just about every Hustler build has them. The only CVD's I've heard mentioned are Thundertech's but I know there are others. Any opinions on other CVD's? Still up in the air as to which wheel adapters too, there are SOOO MANY. I'm not even quite sure how some of them work with the hex that screws on, they just look interesting. I'm using a set of Inet wheel wideners with the stock wheels for now.

Keep the suggestions coming, me and Stuff need help!!
Old 10-05-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

you gotta have aluminum axle tubes and an al locker.

Last edited by Master Basher; 10-15-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:30 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

You can get away with running the stock stuff for a while.

The first upgrade I would do would be a set of Thunder Tech Racing CVD's.

The hot glued lockers do not hold up very well so i would look into a set of Integy aluminum gears next.I have also run the stock gears with a bolt in locker and that setup worked pretty good for a long time.

I would also consider going lower on the pinions to say a 7t and a 8t .

All the aluminum upgrades are nice and give a little more piece of mind but not a necessity at first.

When you do decide to upgrade to aluminum I would use Integy tubes and JP's Knuckles.But I would leave the gear cases plastic.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #9

Thanks for the input!

What about doing just a metal locker and the rest plastic? Are the other gears weak?

Also, which wheel adapter assuming I have CVD's first? Do they need to be wideners also? Right now I have OLD Inet RC wideners (3/4" each side I think) with the stock wheels. This seems like it'll be a good width but I haven't received the Hustler chassis yet to really tell.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #10

Just got done building my stick clod crawler, on a buget so i went with alum knuckles and 8/9 t pinions. been working good for the slow crawling.
slocrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hot Racing also makes a great set of axle tubes. fitment it great and i beat the piss outta them. def. a good "bang for the buck".
chris_dishmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #12

what about making a truss to make the stockers last longer
slocrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote