RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Clod Buster (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/)
-   -   Just installed aluminum gears, very noisy,input please... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/138346-just-installed-aluminum-gears-very-noisy-input-please.html)

Master Basher 10-03-2008 11:44 PM

Just installed aluminum gears, very noisy,input please...

I comtemplated using a stock plastic gear for the input to keep the noise and wear down, but I decided to go with the full Integy aluminum gearset for my torsion chassis crawler. When I go walking pace it is fine,but anything faster and it is very very noisy. Is this common? Or do I have the gearmesh wrong or too little lube on the gears?

Thanks.

2JSC 10-03-2008 11:53 PM

Very common, but a generous amount of grease should quiet them down some, but metal on metal is never quiet.

joesbruiser 10-04-2008 09:06 AM

Lots of noise is normal with the setup. But check and make sure the pinion mesh is not to tight.

chronicspd 10-04-2008 10:23 PM

What's the best grease to use to quiet the metal gears down, I wanna know before I go that route.

chronicspd 10-04-2008 11:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. Good price on that stuff too.

Master Basher 10-05-2008 02:15 AM

The gear mesh is not too tight. The noise is so bad though, that I wanna rip the axle apart and use some nylon gears though.

It's not noisy 100% of the time, it's only when going fast or rapid spurt/decelleration. Then there is a loud 'clacking' noise.

It's bad enough that I don't think I'll be keeping my aluminum gears setup for long...

Mnster 10-05-2008 02:46 AM

Well I like the noise. Sort of makes it more mechanical.;-)

Grease does help big time.

666 10-05-2008 08:44 AM

I have the Integy gears and running 6 tooth pinions. Mine are not really noisy IMO, I would check all your bearings and make sure the gears are not rubbing on the inside of the case. I had one rubbing and shimmed it out with a Traxxas Teflon washer.

Master Basher 10-15-2008 05:45 AM

I think it's the drag brake setting on my controller. I'm going to take the gears out. Does anyone want some cheap gears.

vn1500 10-15-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Basher (Post 1383230)
I think it's the drag brake setting on my controller. I'm going to take the gears out. Does anyone want some cheap gears.

how much ya lookin for , hit me up with a price thanks Tom B.

Stormin2u 10-15-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronicspd (Post 1370154)
What's the best grease to use to quiet the metal gears down, I wanna know before I go that route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by run2jeepn (Post 1370201)

No question get some GearJelly from JP best gear lube I've ever used and I now use this stuff on everything with gears it actually permeates metal and is almost impossible to get completely of. You will be amazed.

chris_dishmon 10-15-2008 08:27 PM

yes. like everyone said just get some grease. no need to sell it when you can get a cheap fix that fixes the problem right. "thumbsup"

Dynamic^Cipher 10-15-2008 08:58 PM

This is an easy problem to fix with some headphones and slayer mp3's

If you are looking for a cheaper fix you can pick up a ghetto blaster from your local pawn shop. They should also have a mettalica tape there. (the tapes were good...st.anger sucked...their new album is good)

Master Basher 10-19-2008 09:35 PM

I found the problem. It was the set screw of the input gear occassionaly hitting the al. gear and causing the racket. I repositioned the gear on the motor and all is good now. thanks.

Vanman 10-24-2008 07:16 PM

yea, I would say grease

bullet1231 10-31-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanman (Post 1396632)
yea, I would say grease

he said it was the input gear,read post before yours."thumbsup"

Espeefan 11-01-2008 10:48 AM

I ran some aluminum gear sets too, and they were noisey. Now days I just run an aluminum locker with the rest of the stock gears. I found the clacking of the aluminum gears was caused by backlash in them, and to make matters worse, the pinion I was running was eating away at the first alum. counter gear. The teeth on those gears were shot in a matter of 8 battery packs. I learned that you need to run an aluminum or brass pinion gear with these gear sets, or else they just won't last. The wear makes the backlash worse, thus the noise only gets worse. No amount of lube will ever quiet these down to the level of the stock gears.

One other, really important thing to check is that the pinion gear on the motor shaft is in the correct place. If you have the depth set incorrectly, the shoulder of the pinion gear (least the small ones like the 9 or 8 tooth types) will grind against the first counter gear and make a lot of noise. If you notice this, remove the motor and push the pinion deeper onto the shaft.

SteveRC 06-15-2019 08:41 AM

Re: Just installed aluminum gears, very noisy,input please...

Quote:

Originally Posted by run2jeepn (Post 1370201)
Best Grease right here..

DO NOT CLICK THIS ABOVE OLD LINK. It IS MALWARE!!!!!
ADMIN please remove this!