Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Homemade Stick with dual ESC ( Zero Stall Set Up )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up Homemade Stick with dual ESC ( Zero Stall Set Up )

Bear in mind that I have done the final assembly and fine tuning on the radio. I will get it working nice and smooth but I'll wait till I get on the rocks to dial it in.

I just got this thing up and running for testing purposes. Some of the linkage and wiring is temparary just to see if it works together. I'm very happy with the results.
Homemade Stick Chassis
WB? I don't know, about 17.5"for now. I may sleeve the center of the chassis for an adjustable wheel base.
Weight - guessing around 10 Lbs
Mamba Max - FWD axle
Super Duty - RWD axle
1/4 scale servos - Hitech S5301
Moabs - Just temp till I get a new axle or some CVDs so I can run my 12mm to 14mm adapters. I'm running one Savage axle for testing.
----------Still thnking about the tire/wheel combo. I wonder how the Savage XL tires would be? I bet 'take offs' are cheap right now. -------
DX6i in plane mode (I think??)
55T motors with 6T pinions
Twin batteries until I rewire for 14 cells in parallel. 7 cell split packs Elite 1500. 7 on each axle.
Threaded shocks ( don't know ) I have them set for full articulation but tightning the spring limits flex as much as you want.
Anyways, since it's alive I thought I would post up a few pics so I can document the final transformation.
Here are a couple pics and 2 demo vids.

This vid demos how I control the motors under a load. It really nice without the "Clod Stall" It just doesn't exist on this rig.

And here is a demo of the Complete controller set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEOOkkEJNP0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhOZViYoaZU
Comments welcome,
Mike

Last edited by mikesativa; 10-11-2008 at 02:26 AM.
mikesativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #2

where did you get that chassie idea? any pics of the build up?
slocrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocrawlin View Post

run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:11 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Would it not make more sense to control the throttle with 2 sticks, 1 for each axle, instead of having multiple switches for functions. I don't see the advantage to the switches.
Dynamic^Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Nice crawler man!!! Now we need a vid of it out on the rocks!!! :-P
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic^Cipher View Post
Would it not make more sense to control the throttle with 2 sticks, 1 for each axle, instead of having multiple switches for functions. I don't see the advantage to the switches.
I have the rear on the left stick and front in on the right stick. Mixing lets me drive with one hand most of the time.

It's pretty tough to operate twin throttles for normal driving but it has it's advantages in some crawling situations.

Mike
Old 10-13-2008, 05:16 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocrawlin View Post
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic^Cipher View Post
That's sort of what I was thinking too. Seems a bit on the over-built side of things.

For my Hustler build I'm really leaning toward a 2 ESC setup, so each motor and steering servo is controlled by a single stick. Left stick for front motor and servo, right stick for rear motor and servo. I'm going to split the output of one 11.4 v LiPo to power both esc's. No dig switches needed, and no clod-stall.

It seems to me that this would make any kind of additional dig switches redundant and unnecessary, since each motor is individually controlled?

It's cool you figured out how to reverse one of the motors, but it seems like a feature that would not see much use. The two axles would just fight each other...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesativa View Post
I have the rear on the left stick and front in on the right stick. Mixing lets me drive with one hand most of the time.

It's pretty tough to operate twin throttles for normal driving but it has it's advantages in some crawling situations.

Mike
So you can mix the throttle of both motors to the up/down axis of the right stick and still steer with both sticks? And one switch gives you independant control of both motors when needed?

That makes a lot more sense. I like that idea.

Because I'm expecting a HUGE learning curve to overcome while getting used to driving a twin-stick set up

Last edited by Big Mike; 10-13-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesativa View Post

Mike
I guess you fly heli's or something. Driving a 3 speed with no shift gate took me a while to do along with flying a heli facing you. But this sounds impossible
Ma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
That's sort of what I was thinking too. Seems a bit on the over-built side of things.

For my Hustler build I'm really leaning toward a 2 ESC setup, so each motor and steering servo is controlled by a single stick. Left stick for front motor and servo, right stick for rear motor and servo. I'm going to split the output of one 11.4 v LiPo to power both esc's. No dig switches needed, and no clod-stall.

It seems to me that this would make any kind of additional dig switches redundant and unnecessary, since each motor is individually controlled?

It's cool you figured out how to reverse one of the motors, but it seems like a feature that would not see much use. The two axles would just fight each other...
There are no dig swithes it's just the two sticks controlling each axle. The switches allow me to controll both ESCs with one stick for most driving situations.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
So you can mix the throttle of both motors to the up/down axis of the right stick and still steer with both sticks? And one switch gives you independant control of both motors when needed?

That makes a lot more sense. I like that idea.

Because I'm expecting a HUGE learning curve to overcome while getting used to driving a twin-stick set up
It's still it the testing phase. I will be making some changes as I see the need for it. Focusing on ease of use and crawling capability.

I can already see changing my tire and battery set up will greatly improve things. I think the wide tires are making it turn to wide and batteries on the backbone don't help with of camber situations.

Mike
Old 10-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

This is so 2006....
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote