Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: My new rig: SLINKY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
Ace
Rock Crawler

Default My new rig: SLINKY

Well, having been to a few comps I've learned a few things:

1. Focus on the basics. Long, Low CG, Wide.

2. Clod's simplicity, low CG and lightweight are very hard to overcome advantages -vs- a shaft truck.

I also noticed that a rigs WB seems to be one of the main things that determines it's ability to climb verticle sections. So when I wanted to make a clod based rig, what WB to make it? The top rigs are about 16" WB But, I like the manoverability of 14-15" so I thought I'll just make mine have both.

Here's some build pics of slinky. Wheelbase will be radio adjustable from about 15" to 20"!

So right off the bat, I've violated #1 (keep it simple) what can I say, I like to try to be innovative.

Here's Slinky at 15":

Here it is at 20"

Here's my upper link mount (copied from some I've seen) and my 1/4 scale servo mount:

I hope to get it done for the Sept 11th crawlstock at Dirks. For sure Moab.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2004, 10:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My new rig: SLINKY

Looks sweet Ace!! I can't wait to see some action shots Did you build this just because you could, or because the shaft wasn't doing it for ya anymore?

Care to elaborate on the adj wheelbase setup and servo mounts?
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
Ace
Rock Crawler

I haven't given up on shaft trucks. But I've seen several things that are hard to overcome...

Vertical climbs:
The fronts spin on a clod. I thought this would hurt because of static -vs- dynamic friction. What I observe is a clod's fronts spin and wipe dust/dirt off treads and rock then it climbs. Also while the fronts spin the axle slides back and forth till it finds the smallest crack or area where the slope isn't quite as steep and the rig climbs it.

On a shaft, front and rear are locked. Thus, no cleaning and very little "searching" like a clod does. You either climb or tip over backwards. You can search with momentum bumps but were talking competion here and eventually the mo bumps knock you over backwards. 5 points please...

Low CG is also king of the clods. How do you get the motors (2nd heaviest part of a cralwer) lower than a clod. Also the battery, how can you get it as low as a clod? Just raises the motor/tranny that much more.
Only way is with saddle packs I suppose.

My other reason for doing a clod is runtime. My damn worm gear truck runs about 3 minutes in a comp. Most of the clod guys get an 3/4 hour! I like to run my truck w/o carrying 10 batteries with me.

Servo mount is just a piece of sheetmetal, bolts to the upper axle brace. I can take better pics later and post them.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

could you show better pics of your servo mount im very very interested in that
firstumustcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:13 PM   #5
Say hello to my dactylion

HOLY SHIT ACE!!!!! 8O 8O That's pretty damn cool! I'm excited to see it run.

-PF
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
I haven't given up on shaft trucks. But I've seen several things that are hard to overcome...

Vertical climbs:
The fronts spin on a clod. I thought this would hurt because of static -vs- dynamic friction. What I observe is a clod's fronts spin and wipe dust/dirt off treads and rock then it climbs. Also while the fronts spin the axle slides back and forth till it finds the smallest crack or area where the slope isn't quite as steep and the rig climbs it.

On a shaft, front and rear are locked. Thus, no cleaning and very little "searching" like a clod does. You either climb or tip over backwards. You can search with momentum bumps but were talking competion here and eventually the mo bumps knock you over backwards. 5 points please...

Low CG is also king of the clods. How do you get the motors (2nd heaviest part of a cralwer) lower than a clod. Also the battery, how can you get it as low as a clod? Just raises the motor/tranny that much more.
Only way is with saddle packs I suppose.

My other reason for doing a clod is runtime. My damn worm gear truck runs about 3 minutes in a comp. Most of the clod guys get an 3/4 hour! I like to run my truck w/o carrying 10 batteries with me.

Servo mount is just a piece of sheetmetal, bolts to the upper axle brace. I can take better pics later and post them.
I didn't know worm gear drives were inneficienct.

I know why clods are so awesome; so I just was wondering if the shaftie wasn't doin it for ya anymore, I guess the answer is yes! I've always thought the front and rear ends mocing separately was way better, for the reason you just explained.

Get pics of the servo mounts when you can
Old 08-17-2004, 01:21 PM   #7
Ace
Rock Crawler

Will post pics of the servo mount later, nothing to special.

I suppose I'll machine up another set of axles for a shafty. But 3 months of machinin wasn't in the cards till this winter.

I hope someday we have rules on wheelbase and width. Then I'll build a shaft to those specs. When it takes that much time to make the axles, only to find out it shoulda been 2" wider, it hurts!

One area Clods suck is the scrub radius when turning with all the wheelspacer/adaptors and offset wheels. El Capitan really turns nice and I feel it's cause the "scrub radius" is zero. Been looking for someone to make portals that correct this for a clod. Might have to be my winter project...
Old 08-17-2004, 01:24 PM   #8
Ace
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat
HOLY SHIT ACE!!!!! 8O 8O That's pretty damn cool! I'm excited to see it run.

-PF
Thanks, I'm excited to see it run too!

LOL, it's you guys rigs that made me stay up at night dreamin this crap up. Sure hope it runs with (actually I'd be happier with whips ass, I owe you guys a couple) team UTAH.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Your adjustable wheelbase idea is crazy. I just hope that you can make the chassis stiff enough. Is it powered by air rams, servos,or what? I want to see how you mount the body
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:32 PM   #10
Ace
Rock Crawler

Body:

I'm gonna run another rail back to the rear. That way the front and rear body mounts are fixed. The WB will extend out the back.

As far as actuating the WB, I actually thought about air but settled on using a screw. Still working out the details but I think I've settled on using a regular servo to turn a 10-32 all thread lead screw.

I'm going to rig up the servo's resistor divorced to a lever that sees about 120deg for the 5" of travel. that way I'll have full proportional control on the WB. I plan on using a 4-channel airplane radio. Throttle=wb Rudder=rear steer, aileron=front steer and elevator=throttle.

I've flown planes forever and using the rear steer as the plane radio's rudder should be straightforward.

Thats the "plan" anyway
Old 08-17-2004, 03:21 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Ace; are you going to hope the tires just scrub when you're pushing the rear end back to lengthen the wheel base? Seems like it might be a bit much to demand from the whole system unless its pretty beefy... Or maybe you'll have to drive forward/back at the same time?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #12
Ace
Rock Crawler

I'm hopin the axle will roll...

10-32 screw should give a heluva mechanical advantage.

If the servo won't turn it, a mag mayhem geared down 100:1 will!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:33 PM   #13
06 Super National Champ

Cool idea!

Now get your ass in gear and finish it!
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:29 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

For the servo, instead of adjusting it to go through 120*, just remove the block and bore out the center of the main gear, then it will just spin forever until you make it stop. Its what antweight battlebots do. Then setup either blocks or power disconnects for the extending rails. That's what I'd do anyhow. Or a drill motor.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:14 AM   #15
Ace
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
For the servo, instead of adjusting it to go through 120*, just remove the block and bore out the center of the main gear, then it will just spin forever until you make it stop. Its what antweight battlebots do. Then setup either blocks or power disconnects for the extending rails. That's what I'd do anyhow. Or a drill motor.
Right, setting up stops would be a bigger pain than just making it proportional. Plus I can easily stop the slide anywhere, not just the ends. Besides having proportional WB is cooler than screwin with the channel all the time.

As Ron says:

SET IT AND FORGET IT!
Old 08-18-2004, 09:37 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

thats it i give up !
jtothec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:38 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Wow, that's some crazy stuff you got going 8O

My frame looks simmilar to yours. Did you just heat and bend your frame or is it welded?
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:55 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Right, setting up stops would be a bigger pain than just making it proportional. Plus I can easily stop the slide anywhere, not just the ends. Besides having proportional WB is cooler than screwin with the channel all the time.

As Ron says:

SET IT AND FORGET IT!
Stay up all night thinking of that one? I have his pasta machine... I have never had such a thought intensive machine.

The lathe came in Thanks for all the tooling!!! Now I just gotta get my work bench goin so I can start turning some stuff!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:55 AM   #19
Ace
Rock Crawler

Glad you got the lathe. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 08-18-2004, 09:05 PM   #20
Ace
Rock Crawler

More progress on Slinky, 'bout 3 beers worth.

Slinky is SLUNG, got the shocks mounted:

Threw a body on top for short and long shots:

Here's my 1/4 scale servo mount. Have to see if it works yet!

This one's for SR5Dave, the reason I had to sell the lathe: