Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: I want to build a "Super" (I need some help?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #1

Default I want to build a "Super" (I need some help?)

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at getting into the crawling game... I'm not new to RC's as I have/had an E-Maxx, Sportmaxx, Revo and an unfinished TXT-1. I was looking at finishing up the TXT-1, but then the Gmade Stealth caught my eye and I can't get it out of my head. My current plan is to sell the TXT-1 and buy a Gmade Stealth Conversion kit and put Clod axles on it. The main reason I want to go with the Clod axles over the standard Gmade axles is for parts availability/upgradability.

So my tenative list is:

Gmade Stealth Conversion Kit
RCP Crawlers Clod Axle Kit Stage 3 (axles, bearings, alum diff lockers)
(would upgrade axles with aluminum parts as needed)
Handbrothers BTA Steering Kit
2x Hi Torque Hitec Servo's (4WS)
Wheels/Tires (undecided)

Electronics...
I'm thinking CC Mamba Monster w/ Integy 55t w/ 8mm pinions.
(3S Lipo, 11.1v)

I'm totally unsure on whether this would be a good combo or not. I want to run Lipo's but ESC's and Motors are something I could use advice on... I'm tempted to go Brushless but would that mean 2x ESC's? Any brushless suggestions? What kind of control/wheel speed would the 55t(8t) with 11.1v provide?

Radio:
Stuck between the DX3R and DX7.. I'm most interested in going with the DX3R as I perfer the style, but I'm not sure on how 4WS works using this radio.... What kind of control do you have over the rear steering, how well does it work?

Anything I've forgotten or overlooked?

Thanks a ton for any help with this build. (I'm excited to get started)

-Psyire
Psyire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The dx3r works rear steer fine. But (atleast the way I have Tylers) The steering is center or lock to lock its not proportional.Most switch type 3rd channels are that way.
As for DX7 or DX6i for that matter would give you proportional rear steer.But if you go that way you should go with 2 esc's so you have total control over the front and rear axles independent of each other.
One Regular Mamba Max or sidewinder will run the setup with the 3 channel radio and I would run 2 MM or 2 sidewinders with a stick radio.
I would stay away from brushless on a super build. They are not smooth enough.

A 55t with 8t pinions on 3cells will give you good wheelspeed but in my opinion not enough torque.

I would look into going 45t and 7 or even 6tooth or 35t and 6tooth pinions.One of these options would give you more wheel speed and torque that the 55t and 8tooth.
Another thing I would look at is what your plans are for this rig(beater,or comp rig) If you are building a comp rig I would rethink the chassis choice.

There are several really good comp chassis kit out there. My all time favorite is The Crawler Store NN chassis It is affordable and comes with all your steering mounts and links.I won nationals this year with this chassis with a different set of links.
And there is several other good choices to. There is the TCS stick,PimpCane,and Hustler to name a few.
I hope this helps.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I think that answers everything.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

good info!
im also fixn to start a super comp build.
i plan on running the xcrawler axles,links,shocks,
and making my own chassis.

and exactly what i was wondering about
motors,esc.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #5

Great, thanks for the info! Definately some stuff for me to think about.

It won't be a comp rig, more of a fun basher but I am still looking to build a very capable unit.

After looking more into radio choices, I have a Hitec Aggressor CRX that I believe will do proportional mixing for 4WS so perhaps I'll just use this radio for now. (as well as one MM ESC) I guess then I could always upgrade to the DX6 or 7 with another MM for more options down the road. Will this 75mhz FM radio work well with the MM? or will I most likely have glitching problems?

I'm sorta stuck on the Stealth Chassis.. is it really not that good? or just not 'quite' as good as some of the others..
Old 11-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #6

Well I bought a Stealth Roller that was listed in the Classfieds.

This will serve as the basis for my Super Build. Can't wait until it shows up!

See ad here: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142593