Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Need opinions on a couple upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #1

Default Need opinions on a couple upgrades

I'm running a Hustler chassis with stock clod tires, and JR Z650M servos. Well, the servos leave something to be desired. They were over heating really bad and just not performing well at all. Yesterday I put shorter arms on them and they do ALOT better now, no overheating and enough torque to actually turn them (6.5v via CCBEC). But now that I put the shorter arms on I have less turning radius. SO, I'm wondering how the Atlas DS20 140* servos would be as an upgrade. They have more torque and I could run an even shorter arm due to the 140* throw. Keep in mind this is NOT a comp truck and I don't wanna spend $90-$200 a piece on servos. So is the 50 oz increase combined with shorter arm a worthy upgrade? The programmer would be nice too, because I could reverse one and get rid of my glitchy servo reversing Y harness.

Next question. I'm running stock clod wheels and tires with Inet wideners. It does surprising well on the rocks, so I imagine other tires would do extremely well. I'm looking at Clod sized Mud Slingers (again NO comps here), and wondering how much better they'll do than stock tires. I like the looks and size of them. The little bit of extra height would be nice, and it's cheaper than Moab XLs, Cheyennes, and wheel adapters. Do you guys think they'd be alright for a non-comp crawler, or should I spend the extra money on the XLs?

Last question. I'm running big bores drooped with 50wt oil (what I had). It's a little bouncy and I'm not sure if it's the tires with no foam or the shock oil. What weight oil do you guy run on drooped Hustlers? I'm thinking 100wt and better tires with foams would help a lot.

Other than these problems the truck does really well the only other thing I might change is the gearing. I'm using stock pinions with 45T lathes on a 2S Lipo. I may go to 11f/10r to help stall a little and give a little more torque. I don't wanna lose to much wheel speed since it's not a comp truck and it's only on a 2S.

Any suggestion are really appreciated (even if not related to these questions) Thanks guys
chronicspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Unfortunately I have not used the atlas servos. I've been in the same position as you, and I can tell you that I have waisted hundreds of dollars on everything from crappy servos to mid grade. I now run Hitec 5995 servos and I can tell you cheap servos don't hold up. I would recommend saving for these and wheeling carefree. Also you can't beat their service I actually fried one of mine due to a user error and they shipped me a brand new one free of charge with no proof of purchase! Any tire will be an upgrade from the stock clod tires. But if you go Xl's you won't regret it. As for the bounce I think you have the right idea with thicker oil and better tires.
sid lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #3

I can only imagine that the Atlas servos are of good quality. I don't think Holmes would carry them otherwise. And I can buy 6 of these for the price of 2 Hitecs, so it's not as bad of a loss if they break. Anybody here have experience with the Atlas DS20 servos?
Old 11-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicspd View Post
I can only imagine that the Atlas servos are of good quality. I don't think Holmes would carry them otherwise. And I can buy 6 of these for the price of 2 Hitecs, so it's not as bad of a loss if they break. Anybody here have experience with the Atlas DS20 servos?

I would agree with you that they are probably a good quality servo. But for crawling with a super you need a servo that is of excceptional quality. I understand you could buy 6 of these for the same price because I was in the same situation as you a couple years ago. Believe me if you drive your rig in rocks where the tires get bound up they will break. I'm sure your going to make up your own mind I'm just trying to keep you from making the same mistake that I made. It sucks when the sixth servo breaks and then you realise that you should have bought the good ones first and you end up spending twice the money.
sid lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #5

I completely understand what you're saying and I agree with you. I've probably put over $10,000 into this hobby in the past 12 years. I know it costs less to do it right the first time, but if nobody tried anything different then crawling wouldn't be a sport

I'm just wanting to know what kind of luck people have had with these servos, and how much difference 50oz is gonna make with shorter arms and more throw. The servos would probably end up in a 2.2 down the road anyway.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm running a Hustler chassis with stock clod tires, and JR Z650M servos. Well, the servos leave something to be desired. They were over heating really bad and just not performing well at all. Yesterday I put shorter arms on them and they do ALOT better now, no overheating and enough torque to actually turn them (6.5v via CCBEC). But now that I put the shorter arms on I have less turning radius. SO, I'm wondering how the Atlas DS20 140* servos would be as an upgrade. They have more torque and I could run an even shorter arm due to the 140* throw. Keep in mind this is NOT a comp truck and I don't wanna spend $90-$200 a piece on servos. So is the 50 oz increase combined with shorter arm a worthy upgrade? The programmer would be nice too, because I could reverse one and get rid of my glitchy servo reversing Y harness.
If you can spend $80 a servo. Get this one.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRN6&P=ML
If you want to spend even less, but keep the Power. Buy these. But you need to make your own Servo Mounts for these. If you lucky you can find a Rc Robot site that carries some. TowerPro 1/4's which can be found at www.jpcustomrcs.com for less then $30 each.

Quote:
Next question. I'm running stock clod wheels and tires with Inet wideners. It does surprising well on the rocks, so I imagine other tires would do extremely well. I'm looking at Clod sized Mud Slingers (again NO comps here), and wondering how much better they'll do than stock tires. I like the looks and size of them. The little bit of extra height would be nice, and it's cheaper than Moab XLs, Cheyennes, and wheel adapters. Do you guys think they'd be alright for a non-comp crawler, or should I spend the extra money on the XLs?
Unless you are going for Just looks. Then don't get the Slingers. Search E-Bay on a deal of Moab XL's. You don't have to run Cheyenne beadlocks either. You can run any 40's wheel. They will do alot better then stock tires.

Quote:
Last question. I'm running big bores drooped with 50wt oil (what I had). It's a little bouncy and I'm not sure if it's the tires with no foam or the shock oil. What weight oil do you guy run on drooped Hustlers? I'm thinking 100wt and better tires with foams would help a lot.
The bouncing is coming from the Shocks bottoming out. A droop set up has zero Dampening for up travel. Much like a Stick or Pimp Cane. Getting rid of those Stock Clod Tires and go with the Moabs. That should help a lot.

Quote:
Other than these problems the truck does really well the only other thing I might change is the gearing. I'm using stock pinions with 45T lathes on a 2S Lipo. I may go to 11f/10r to help stall a little and give a little more torque. I don't wanna lose to much wheel speed since it's not a comp truck and it's only on a 2S.
[/quote]

If you can run 3S Lipo run it. With a 45T motor. I'd start with 8t or 9t pinions.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
If you can spend $80 a servo. Get this one.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRN6&P=ML
If you want to spend even less, but keep the Power. Buy these. But you need to make your own Servo Mounts for these. If you lucky you can find a Rc Robot site that carries some. TowerPro 1/4's which can be found at www.jpcustomrcs.com for less then $30 each.
I've seen those Hobbico servos, and I was really thinking about them. From what I've found they are rebadged Hitec servo. Is this correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
Unless you are going for Just looks. Then don't get the Slingers. Search E-Bay on a deal of Moab XL's. You don't have to run Cheyenne beadlocks either. You can run any 40's wheel. They will do alot better then stock tires.
Been leaning more toward the XL's. Does anybody know if there are 40's wheels with 12mm hexes? This would save me the cost of buy adapters. I guess I could always get some cheap dish wheels to help save cost.

Quote:
The bouncing is coming from the Shocks bottoming out. A droop set up has zero Dampening for up travel. Much like a Stick or Pimp Cane. Getting rid of those Stock Clod Tires and go with the Moabs. That should help a lot.
So you think the 50wt oil is fine then? I guess I can always experiment after I get some better tires.

Quote:
If you can run 3S Lipo run it. With a 45T motor. I'd start with 8t or 9t pinions.
I just recently bought an Elite 2200 2S for the crawler. It's a great little lipo for a good price and it keeps me from breaking axles as much. I'm still running stock gears, tubes, and axle shafts. I have the stock diffs glued and they're working well. Planning on replacing stuff as it breaks.

Thanks for the replies and good advice.