Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: wiring diagram for dual esc's, dual servos, bec, and one battery???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default wiring diagram for dual esc's, dual servos, bec, and one battery???

ok, first off, i am a newbie at the whole moa thing and need to build up my super with dual esc's, dual servos, castle bec, and one battery.

now my disclaimer... i did as run2jeepin suggested, and did a search. after looking thru hours- yes hours of posts and threads i still havent found a wiring diagram for my application (i found some with one esc and bec, but nothing with dual escs and bec). i do not know much about electronics, voltage, wiring, and amps, and dont want to burn anything up, so if someone with the same/ similar set-up could post a wiring diagram, it would help greatly!

my equipment:

dual rooster crawler esc's
dual airtronics 94359 servos
one castle 10a bec
dx6 w/ ar6000 rx
one 2s 7.4v 8000 lipo battery (to power everything)

also, if someone can tell me what to set my castle 10a bec at for my application, it'd be greatly appreciated. i've seen posts where some people use an external bec and keep the internal bec's on both their esc's operating. any info on this as well... is it good or bad, whats the proper way to do it? sorry for all the questions, i'm just learning as i go, and me reading info on other people's different set-ups/ applications is just confusing me even more!

Last edited by jedsled; 11-10-2008 at 12:16 AM.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Here is the diagram I altered for myself. I am running two ESCs, dual steering with servomotor reversed. The third channel operates two switches. One to cut the signal to the rear esc for full on dragbrake dig, second servo is for motor power, for rolling dig. I havn't tried the setup yet but the diagram is good. Hope it helps.

Ive left the servo wiring out for clarity. But the servo wires are paralled together with the motor reversed.

As a bonus for people who only have 3 channels, I am also working on a 3rd channel switch that would allow dig, or proportional rear steer/crab style steering when the servo is flipped one way or another.

Last edited by Renslipevol; 11-10-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Renslipevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If i were you I would just set your bec to the max voltage your servos can handle and just straight hardwire the BEC into the positive and negative leads of your servos.....I actually have a seperate BEC to each servo and then just plug the signal wire from the servos into my reciever. then run everything else as it is supposed to be hooked up per the manufactures recommendations.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renslipevol View Post
Here is the diagram I altered for myself. I am running two ESCs, dual steering with servomotor reversed. The third channel operates two switches. One to cut the signal to the rear esc for full on dragbrake dig, second servo is for motor power, for rolling dig. I havn't tried the setup yet but the diagram is good. Hope it helps.

Ive left the servo wiring out for clarity. But the servo wires are paralled together with the motor reversed.

As a bonus for people who only have 3 channels, I am also working on a 3rd channel switch that would allow dig, or proportional rear steer/crab style steering when the servo is flipped one way or another.

renslipevol, thanks for the post, you did a great job on that diagram! however i am not using 3 channel and have a dx6. also, doesnt the bec wire up to the servos? i thought i needed the bec to adeqautely power my servos and ur diagram doesnt show anything to represent that, i dont think. i appreciate ur posting tho!

anyone else?
Old 11-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The BEC is a Battery elimination circuit. Most, if not all ESC's come with a BEC to supply power to the rx and servos. Which is all that needs to be powered from the CC BEC. It acts like a battery that plugs into the Rx into the battery port. I find it easier to use the rx plug-ins to get the power to the servos, which is fed from the CC BEC. You must, however, Remove the red wire from the wires that go from your Rx, to the speed controls, or will fry something. All that the speed controls need to operate from the Rx is a battery +, -. and negative and sensor from the Rx. So, yes, my diagram represents how I will wire in my CC BEC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
renslipevol, thanks for the post, you did a great job on that diagram! however i am not using 3 channel and have a dx6. also, doesnt the bec wire up to the servos? i thought i needed the bec to adeqautely power my servos and ur diagram doesnt show anything to represent that, i dont think. i appreciate ur posting tho!

anyone else?
Renslipevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

thanks for your replies guys. i sopke with john from holmes hobbies (great guy, he def earned some of my business), and with using a 2s lipo he told me i can just use the internal bec's from both rooster crawler escs. if it were 3s, i would need the one castle bec and remove the red wires from both my escs. hope this sheds some light on others in my situation.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Ahh, someone else is in the same boat I'm in - I was about to ask pretty much the same question. I hear you about searching, I've been doing quite a bit of it myself lately with not much result.

My set up:
1 11.1 v LiPo
2 Tekin FXR's
2 Integy V11 65t lathe motors
2 HiTec HS7955TG servos
Futaba 7CAP Tx and Rx

Here's how I have it wired as of now, minus the servos. I'm running this on 4 channels, for independant control of each end. Hopefully I'll be able to mix the 2 throttle channels for simpler driving, and switch to independant motor control for more complex maneuvers:

I've only fired it up long enough to do a simple test of basic function, just a couple minutes. I was going to rely on the BEC in the FXR's since I'm running 2 of them, should I go with an external BEC instead? What are the repercussions of running without it? I've run several different ESC's in my TLT (Mtroniks, Moped, Novak Rooster) and have never used an external BEC with any of them.

I thought the servos were'nt moving as far as I thought they were going to, but like I said I've only powered this set up for a couple minutes (too damn busy these days) both motors worked forward and reverse, and both servos turned, so far so good. I still need to investigate where the endpoints are set in the radio, that may be why the servos seem to be off.

I've never had any kind of MOA truck before either, wiring them from scratch is a new thing for me as well. If any of you Clod veterans care to add your input, this is a subject that is not well covered around here...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote