Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: who uses a 3-channel radio for their super?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default who uses a 3-channel radio for their super?

ok guys, i went out and bought 2 clod supers.

one of them i am gonna be running 2 escs for independant throttle/dig and steering w/ my dx6.

the second clod, i wanna have so my wife and buddies can crawl (without the complication of a 6 channel stick tx), i figured i'd use my dx3. i'm thinking i'd run an electronic dig set-up for front and rear motors, and run 4 wheel steering with a servo-reversing y-harness. how many guys out there are running their 3-channel set-up this way? are they happy with it? whats the downfalls of doing it this way? any advice would be great before i wire this thing up.

thanks.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
ok guys, i went out and bought 2 clod supers.

one of them i am gonna be running 2 escs for independant throttle/dig and steering w/ my dx6.

the second clod, i wanna have so my wife and buddies can crawl (without the complication of a 6 channel stick tx), i figured i'd use my dx3. i'm thinking i'd run an electronic dig set-up for front and rear motors, and run 4 wheel steering with a servo-reversing y-harness. how many guys out there are running their 3-channel set-up this way? are they happy with it? whats the downfalls of doing it this way? any advice would be great before i wire this thing up.

thanks.
Y-harness 4 wheel steering sucks imo. I've seen many rigs that couldn't make obstacles because the rear steer was hurting the ability and turning the tires when they shouldn't be. I'd rather have 2ws and dig than full time 4ws.

The 4th, 5th, and 6th place finishers at Nationals this year all ran 3 ch radios on their supers. They had independent rear steer and no dig, this is a very good setup for a Clod super. The Clod axles give you some amount of natural dig from the stall.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Y-harness 4 wheel steering sucks imo. I've seen many rigs that couldn't make obstacles because the rear steer was hurting the ability and turning the tires when they shouldn't be. I'd rather have 2ws and dig than full time 4ws.

The 4th, 5th, and 6th place finishers at Nationals this year all ran 3 ch radios on their supers. They had independent rear steer and no dig, this is a very good setup for a Clod super. The Clod axles give you some amount of natural dig from the stall.
X2 you would be better off running indi steering and no dig.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

boy, thats a first! 2.2 guys will take dig over 4ws (as proved in a thread started not too long ago on this site) anyday. i didnt think 4ws would be more important than dig in a super...
Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

if u have 2 esc's u wont need a dig, the drag brake would be enough, well for most people.
bullet1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
MODERHATER™

With my TXT super, I would rather have dig than rear steer.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:04 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet1231 View Post
if u have 2 esc's u wont need a dig, the drag brake would be enough, well for most people.
i'm only running 2 esc's on the one crawler, the other one i'm only running 1.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
With my TXT super, I would rather have dig than rear steer.
ya, it just kinda seems like a waste to have 2 motors on a crawler and not use the potential... i dunno, if there were that many guys w/ good runs in nationals w/ only rear steer, maybe my thinkin is off.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I run the TRAXXAS radio it has the rev switch taken out and a switch in its place to control the rear steer on my Clod Crawler One speed control Novak Super Rooster and stock motors.Check out Radio Control CAR ACTION mag in March of 2008 it shows how to do it.
Greg
LOSIASSOCIATED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:53 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Yea honestly unless you can get a 4 channel radio to have both dig and i4ws just go with the 4ws. On supers there is just to much leverage with the bigger tires to use dig effectivily meaning the rear tires won't hold.
Terminator13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator13 View Post
Yea honestly unless you can get a 4 channel radio to have both dig and i4ws just go with the 4ws. On supers there is just to much leverage with the bigger tires to use dig effectivily meaning the rear tires won't hold.
i guess i never thought of that.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #12
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
boy, thats a first! 2.2 guys will take dig over 4ws (as proved in a thread started not too long ago on this site) anyday. i didnt think 4ws would be more important than dig in a super...
Depends on the wheelbase really. For a 15" wb or so super, dig would prolly be more of a benefit.
When you get to 17", 4ws becomes important for maneuverability. Dig will not get you around corners like 4ws will and with the long wheelbase it takes a big obstacle to make you use the dig to plant the front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator13 View Post
I have dig on my super. Using the FR dig switch to dead short the motor it holds really good.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Depends on the wheelbase really. For a 15" wb or so super, dig would prolly be more of a benefit.
When you get to 17", 4ws becomes important for maneuverability. Dig will not get you around corners like 4ws will and with the long wheelbase it takes a big obstacle to make you use the dig to plant the front end.

I have dig on my super. Using the FR dig switch to dead short the motor it holds really good.
Really? From everything I've been reading dig is pretty much pointless unless you have the dual ESC's. Maybe I should looking into dig, although 17.5in wb probally wouldnt sufice from dig.
Terminator13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #14
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i won the '08 TXRCRCA state super championship and nats invite with a Tq3 controled clod.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote