Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: UPDATE: "HOSS"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default UPDATE: "HOSS"

Here's a few new pics of "HOSS". New body and finally rolling under it's own power. Enjoy.

Anybody got any ideas about what batteries I need to be running? The one I got is pretty much an old piece of crap and won't hold a charge very long.
Texrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2004, 06:52 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: UPDATE: "HOSS"

I'd go with a 2400 mah or higher. Nicd's are more forgiving than nimh's but nimh's will give you the longest run times.
BigSmokinGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looking good!!! Can't wait to see it out on the rocks!!! Great job on the body too!!! Now it's time bash it up! hehehe

Oh as for batteries I'm running Orion 3000 nimh's. It's called the rocket pack and I got 2 for $60 not bad! I get about 35 min run time outta them now with my 72t/9t gearing. I like em!

I like nimh b/c they don't retain a memory as much as nicd's too......or at least so I'm told.

I've heard good things bout the 2400 nicd's too though, so either way is cool.
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

What kinda wheelbase did you get?

Nice rig, looks like we got some competition...

Whos gonna be first for the smack talk?!?!?!

That a MGT in the back? When we go crawlin, if you wanna bring it along, I have a Savage.........
willyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Willy,
I think I ended up with a little over 14 inches for the wheelbase. I need to get the MGT fixed. I sailed it off a jump the other day (showing off for a friend) about 20 feet and broke a front suspention arm. I need to invest in the RPM arms. I've just been sinking all my time into "HOSS". I just need to get some better batteries.

Come crawl with us sometime. Looks like me and cman and some others will be getting together on Sept. 4.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I am losing track of all our threads between here and CT. I will be at the CalRock at Katemcy on the 17th???? Was gonna go to Grapevine on the 4th, but I can only do one of those crawls. (hotel and all plus convincing the better half) Still on for Oct also. See pics of Cmans new shaft?!?!?!?
willyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:55 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

No I have not seen cman's new shaft, but I probably will. Here's some more pics. Worked my ass off this morning to get this thing finished.

A little flex.

See thru gear cover.

How's this for a servo mount?

My trucks.

Now all I need is some better batteries. Need to work some overtime!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

WOW!!! New parts look great! Super beefy! Glad you got it finished!!!

Never seen anyone do a see through gear cover like that on a clod! Looks fantastic! Way to be different!

Is that a 9t pinion in there?

I just got my skidplate installed today. Had to take the whole chassis apart and drop the tranny just to install 4 screws!!!! aaarrrgghhhh

Oh and yes my new shaft is pretty big!!!.......
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I got my batteries off of ebay. GP3300 for cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...41740&rd=1

Thats not the same name of the guy I bought from but I think it might be. I got 2 7 cell and 1 6 cell shipped for under $100...I think? I have no complaints about them except for the small gauge wire compaired to my Reedy batteries.
nktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:57 PM   #10

nice it is coming along good
vo-techer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:46 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

what are the types of shock mounts you have on that rig to mount the shocks to the 4 links
also where can i get them
trapt1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:51 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Best batteries I've run, also the cheapest. DIRT CHEAP!

Http://www.amondotech.com They have 3300 MaH w/ 10C (same as panasonic or sanyo's) discharge rate, $17.50. Great batts, flat rate shipping too
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:03 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Trapt,

I fabbed the shock mounts myself. I'm glad you like them. I changed out the exposed set screw with a now consealed allen head set screw (or grub screw). They weren't hard to build. If you can get you hands on some 1/4" aluminum stock, all I used to build them was a hacksaw, drill, and a threat tap. And then polish them with a Dremmel.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Egad, dare someone utter the name of Amondo Crap in my presence?!?! I bought two 3000mAh 8.4v 7 cell hump packs off eBay from them.....worst....purchase....ever!!! $45 down the drain for shipping, those pieces of crap BOTH blew up and oozed white crap all over my Pede's chassis, but before bursting, they had such gosh awful internal resistance that not even cycling them a ton of times could save them. I got 5 cell mushy performance that my cheapo Epic 6 cells could kill, and having them blow up was the last straw. I don't know about their 3300's, but DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT get their 3000 NiMh packs!!!
dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 04:45 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I finally picked up some batts at my LHS. I got a couple of Venom 3000. So far so good. They get a little warm while charging but no HOT. They seem to run fairly well too. We'll see, time will tell, right? Sorry to hear about your batts Dabid, that's gotta suck. I think I'd be pissed too.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:07 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabid
Egad, dare someone utter the name of Amondo Crap in my presence?!?! I bought two 3000mAh 8.4v 7 cell hump packs off eBay from them.....worst....purchase....ever!!! $45 down the drain for shipping, those pieces of crap BOTH blew up and oozed white crap all over my Pede's chassis, but before bursting, they had such gosh awful internal resistance that not even cycling them a ton of times could save them. I got 5 cell mushy performance that my cheapo Epic 6 cells could kill, and having them blow up was the last straw. I don't know about their 3300's, but DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT get their 3000 NiMh packs!!!
Dude, I was running 12T puller motors (they pull 250 watts at 7.2V) at 14.4V, off 2 of the 3,000 NiMHs and they even when my EVX started to short out, the batteries were still fine. And you shoulda gotten them off their site... 5$ flat rate shipping. Mine are the Titaniums. Haven't run the 3300's yet but I'm VERY happy with the 3,000s
Old 08-30-2004, 12:52 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Interesting, now I've heard a story from each side: one that supports my crappy experience with them, another that says they're a good company with good batts. :? Maybe I just got a couple of crap packs, too bad they blew up and I chucked them in the trash without giving Amondo Tech a piece of my mind about it.

I heard a saying once: If you have a positve experience, you tell 5 people....if you have a bad one, you tell 10. Good luck with those packs man!

EDIT: What I meant to say earlier is that they cost $45 with shipping, not that I payed so dang much to send them to me.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:59 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I heard a saying once: If you have a positve experience, you tell 5 people....if you have a bad one, you tell 10. Good luck with those packs man!
So true! Well I'm glad they work for me, they're pretty much the most inexpensive thing out there! I even got the packs so hot (from running too much voltage into a crappy motor) that the wrapping melted open, still runnin strong. I noticed they need deans plugs, their tamiya ones that come on them are less than stellar (I melted several)
Old 08-30-2004, 09:34 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I'm at the point where I don't bother with cruddy Tamiya plugs anymore, I went straight to Deans on those packs. I first noticed something was wrong when the pack got super hot and melted the cheesy green shrink wrap, so I set it aside......only to have it make a "pop" and start oozing white crap all over! I grabbed my dikes, held it over the trash by the Deans, clipped the plug off, and let it fall where it deserved to be.

If anyone is in the market for some cheap GP3300's, the cheapest I've gotten any for was $26 per pack. They're called Reedy "Black Label", and are readily availible on Tower's site.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm at the point where I don't bother with cruddy Tamiya plugs anymore, I went straight to Deans on those packs. I first noticed something was wrong when the pack got super hot and melted the cheesy green shrink wrap, so I set it aside......only to have it make a "pop" and start oozing white crap all over! I grabbed my dikes, held it over the trash by the Deans, clipped the plug off, and let it fall where it deserved to be.

If anyone is in the market for some cheap GP3300's, the cheapest I've gotten any for was $26 per pack. They're called Reedy "Black Label", and are readily availible on Tower's site.
With my lathe motors I shouldn't pull enough wattage to hurt a damn thing! So I should be fine in the future

ok.. Sorry for stealing the thread! [/hijack]