Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: SWuper build #2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default SWuper build #2

After running three battery packs through my Super pimp cane clod "Grumpy" I knew it was not what I wanted. Over this last year I had talked with a few different forum members who compete in Super class and they all spoke highly of the SW2. My first 2.2 comp rig was a SW2 TLT and I figured it was only fitting to return to what started it all for me. I contacted 666 and was able to get the chassis items I needed and I was able to trade BILLYGOAT my 17.5 pimp cane for some new revo shocks. Once the items arrived, I took this picture of a pile of parts to build my next super out of.

Specs:
- Bender Customs SW2 in black
- 1/2 lower delrin links
- 3/8 upper delrin links
- Revo shocks
- delrin upper link mounts
- Clod axles w/ full bearings
- Integy aluminum axle tubes
- Integy aluminum steering knuckles
- Integy full aluminum gears front and rear
- TTR CVD's front and rear
- Hitec 5955TG steering servos front and rear
- Mamba Max's front and rear
- BM16 brushless outrunners
- TTR adjustable motor mounts
- RC4WD 9 tooth long pinions
- RC4WD steel crawler axle stays
- 3S lipo
- CC BEC
- BR6000 robot Spektrum RX
- DX7 Spektrum TX
- Hot Racing aluminum 23mm wheel adapters / wideners that have been modified
- Pro-Line narrowed Cheyenne bead locks
- Pro-Line Moab XL's that have been modified
- Kreepy ruby red foams in front
- Kreepy pink foams in rear
- Pro-Line '72 C-10 Chevy body (?)

Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

very nice parts list bro, looks like a contender! the time of the supers will be back! keep us posted bro.
bullet1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet1231 View Post
very nice parts list bro, looks like a contender! the time of the supers will be back! keep us posted bro.
Thanks.

I completely agree about Supers making a come back. Once some new quality tires hit the market for supers, that will spark a lot more interest in the class. 2.2 will get played out at some point with all the new RTR kits. Super class is the last class (besides scale) where you have to actually build your crawler and customize some parts. It's not completely bolt ons like comp 1.9 and 2.2. It seems that most/all human beings have the mindset that bigger is better and that is another reason why the Super class will never die. It was RC nitro monster trucks that blew up RC and made it more main stream. The large size and fast speed caught people's attention. Supers could do that as well. I am more amazed by what my super will climb then my 2.2. Maybe it's just me, but supers are better.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Talking Update

Well I did not waste anytime getting to work on this rig. I completed it Friday night and I ran three battery packs through it Saturday. All I can say is WOW! It's extremely stable and predictable. It's very balanced and handles more like a well built 2.2 berg. The revo shocks do not allow too much articulation and I really like it that way. The tires are a bit too tall, but I don't have money to make plowboys or meat grinders yet. I also plan to see if Pro-Line does come out with new Super tires in early '09 like they said they would. Hopefully Panther will jump in the mix as well by then. Unfortunately our local club only runs 2.2 for competitions, so I won't be able to compete with this rig anytime soon. Here are some completed details and pictures:

Wheelbase is 17.5 inches
Track width is 14 inches
Belly clearance is 4.5 inches
Weight is 13 pounds 9 ounces

Old 12-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
RCC Addict

dude that looks great. funny thing is i have an sw2 on the super and changed to the cane. crazy..... glad those worked out.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT View Post
dude that looks great. funny thing is i have an sw2 on the super and changed to the cane. crazy..... glad those worked out.
HAHA, I can't wait to set up a course for that!!

Looks good Eddy did you make new mounts on the links for the shocks or just use differant brackets?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT View Post
Thanks John. The revo shocks worked out perfect for this build. The cane had too much flex for me. I know it can be tuned by adding plate to stiffen the back bone, but ultimately I knew it would prove to flimsy for me since I will be bashing the Super mostly since our local chapter does not run a Super class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Looks good Eddie did you make new mounts on the links for the shocks or just use different brackets?
Thanks Patrick. I did not make new mounting holes in the lower delrin links. I was able to swap out the single hole TLT mounting brackets for the double hole TLT mounting brackets. In doing so it moved the shock mounting location closer to the chassis. I also cut off 1/4 inch from the jato rod end on the chassis side. That moved the lower link & shock mount closer to the chassis as well. Everything lines up great and the articulation is very smooth. Here's a little more detail on the shock set up:

The shocks measure 85mm from eyelet to eyelet.

The Front springs are Traxxas part #5429 and are 1.0 rate tan. I have 30 weight oil in them.

The rear springs are Traxxas part #5433 and are 1.4 rate pink. They have 30 weight oil in them.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Looks great!

I was looking to mount my MM's the same way on my clod but am having difficultly finding a suitable box.

I was wondering which box you used and how well it fitted the MM.
Arct1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arct1k View Post
Looks great!

I was looking to mount my MM's the same way on my clod but am having difficultly finding a suitable box.

I was wondering which box you used and how well it fitted the MM.
Thanks for the compliment.

I use Traxxas T Maxx receiver boxes to house the Mamba Max's. I modify them to fit the ESC inside. I use them on all my builds. They do well protecting the ESC whether it be in competition, practice or bashing. I have also never had one get hot inside a receiver box. I have them mounted to RC4WD steel axle plates on this particular build. On some of my 2.2 shafties, I have them mounted on the back axle. It might be over kill as far as protection goes and it does add a little weight. I have not found it to be an issue and I have been using the same ESC's in multiple builds for nearly two years. I hope that helps to answer your question and good luck on your build.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Bump for a killer super build! Lets see some pics of the plowboys!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #11
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

It has been a while since I updated this build. The SWuper had a few issues and had been sitting for the last few months. Partly because I was lazy and mostly because we do not run a Super Class in the East Texas Chapter of TXRCRCA.

Well the Texas State Finals for TXRCRCA was last weekend and I wanted to compete for the Super Class Open Championship. With that in mind I set out to fix SWuper and get it running. First thing to be addressed was this front case:

That is what happens with BM16 brushless outrunners, 3S, and good traction. It pulled the counter gear shaft completely out of position.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
MODERHATER™

You won't need all that weight inside with the new cases!!

Glad your loving it still, the SW2 gave me many years of enjoyment, Thanks Brad!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The next issue of contention was the steering. The RC4WD mounting plates are good for servo mounting but they are not stable. Under a load the servo plate would flex or rotate out of position. I have seen others make a bracket or rod and attach it to the back of the servo but my servos do not have that mount. So I came up with the idea to cut aluminum angle and form it into a plate support:

The super took a fall at State which why the servo is sitting crooked but from this view you can see the plate/bracket I made, bolted to the RC4WD plate.

The bracket completely cured the plate flex / rotation. It also gives the front axle that much more strength.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #14
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
You won't need all that weight inside with the new cases!!

Glad your loving it still, the SW2 gave me many years of enjoyment, Thanks Brad!!!

That is what I am hoping for. My super owes you a lot. I am really enjoying the SW2. It has handled everything I have thrown at it. I wish it was possible to get a second open side plate in black though.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #15
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I wish it was possible to get a second open side plate in black though.
I'll get you one. Or I'll sell my carbon fiber ones for $1,000,000!!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

It still wasn't quite ready for State yet though. It seems I have made plenty of sets of Plow Boys for others but never made a set for myself. So I did. I never realized how much shorter the Pro Line bead locks are compared to Thorns or HPI Blasts.

I actually like it though. The Plow Boys have a nice short side wall and they are extremely stable in the Pro Line rims. They take a bit more work to make fit because the inside bead has to be trimmed to fit in the bead lock groove. They hold great though.

These are Panther Soft compound Plow Boys. I am running 12 ounces in each of the front and 5 ounces in each of the rear. I have Kreepy ruby red foams up front and Kreepy pink foams in the rear. I like the combo so far but the tires still need more breaking in. It did hurt me on one climb having new tires at State. Other than that one climb though, they did every line I pointed them at.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #17
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

For some reason when I first set this super up I would get a glitch in the servos every time the Castle Creation Mamba Max's would do that annoying warning beep if you weren't using it. Thankfully Castle released new software and that fixed it completely. I also programmed the dead band bigger in the Hitec servos. Between the programming and the Plow Boys, I can run a full battery pack without the servos over heating. I also added a Losi Grappler body. So here is how it sits currently:

Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #18
Old guy

I seen this rig run 1st hand at the Texas comp, it looked good. I had a great time running with you. Good to meet you too.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #19
MODERHATER™

Care to show more of the Plowboys on 40 series? I tried doing that but could not come up w/ the height I wanted...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #20
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
I seen this rig run 1st hand at the Texas comp, it looked good. I had a great time running with you. Good to meet you too.
It was likewise great to meet and talk with you Ricky. I had so much fun competing aganist you in the Super class and congratulations on your Super Class Open Championship win.

I will take it back next year though.

Quote:
Care to show more of the Plowboys on 40 series? I tried doing that but could not come up w/ the height I wanted...
It's an old family secret.;)

Seriously, I have made several sets of these now and have figured it out. There are ways to cut them to make the side wall a little bigger and ways to cut them to keep them small. I prefer to have them small like raptorman does. That way they just grip and go, no side wall flex to wad/bunch up on like Moab XL's.