Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Is It Just The Thundertech BTA That Sucks ???I've Never Tried Others...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Angry Is It Just The Thundertech BTA That Sucks ???I've Never Tried Others...

Hours of tuning this thing and I'm still wondering ...their other products are good but WTF is it with this piece of shit??? I'm getting rid of it A.S.A.P

Can anyone recommend other BTAs that actually work properly????
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
RCC Addict

your not the only one i never could get mine to work either it would hit the motor and i had a short endbell. along with the servo not really being secured well and the linkage was horrible
rcjunky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I've heard of the Thundertech carbon tie-rod snapping, but not that it didn't actually fit. May depend on what chassis you're using if your issue is with hitting one of the links.

We have a SS BTA kit that keeps all the axle bracing, and there's a Hand Bros kit available that removes the axle brace.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
RCC Addict

#1 I worked out the motor thing by grinding 2mm off on the motor and reduced the servo horn by 7mm

#2 The steering angle was almost non existent...

#3 Played around with the tie rod length and on the next test run the aluminum link was bent (it woulda snapped 4 sure if it were the CF version)

#4 My last try is reversing the link and using a much longer tie rod to reach the connection I had to grind the bottom of the gear case there about 1mm too ...lets see if it holds up
Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
I've heard of the Thundertech carbon tie-rod snapping, but not that it didn't actually fit. May depend on what chassis you're using if your issue is with hitting one of the links.

We have a SS BTA kit that keeps all the axle bracing, and there's a Hand Bros kit available that removes the axle brace.
My issue is not the fitting Brett. Its just that it gives such poor steering angle when installed by the procedure recommended in the manual...

And Ive heard a few guys say that they have spent hours on modding the thing just to squeeze a couple more milliliters of steer out of it ...

So all I am asking is how do for example your BTA kit or Hand Brothers kit do as far as getting a decent amount of steer compared to this one...
Old 01-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

hands bros BTA kit, best for clods, hands down.
bullet1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet1231 View Post
hands bros BTA kit, best for clods, hands down.
yep, its what i use!
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
RCC Addict

You may get away with that kit for a crawler, but you'll break stock axle tubes left and right if used on a basher/racer.

Removing the axle brace like that kit does would be fine if you're running aluminum tubes though.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
MODERHATER™

I never had any luck with it, the carbon fiber piece wore out, so I made a aluminum one, the mount broke, got a new one, broke again, threw it in a box, who needs BTA.

And don't run w/out braces unless you have aluminum tubes.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

i run the CPE one with no problems at all! plus it give you 2 diffrent ways to mount the servo
4ONDFLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have had two on my CNNN and my Hustler and now have Hands bros and no question the hands bros takes it. I got the Thundertech to work but was always breaking things bending servo horns etc. And when I was first staring out I got Thundertech lockers and they lasted all of 45 sec before striping....
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #12

I ran the Thundertech steering on my Clod that I won Nationals with in 07. Overall I'd give it an okay rating.

I got it set-up with out any major headaches. I split the CF tierod but that was my fault. It was a 13+ pound truck which the front axle probably weights 6+ pounds and I was jumping a 4"x4" popping the front end off the ground. Funny part is I super glued it back together and it never split again.

My main issues with it was steering angle and it didn't seem efficient like too must friction.

I've wanted to run the Hands Bro but .... never have yet. I was a little scared about losing the brace.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ONDFLR View Post
i run the CPE one with no problems at all! plus it give you 2 diffrent ways to mount the servo
Got pics of your setup? Got one and waiting to install it when i build the chassis
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I just put the TTR BTA on my truck. My tie rod is aluminum, i don't know if that is weird or not. Mine seems to move the tires from side to side and put them in full lock positions too. The only problems that i have had with it is the screws backing out where the tie rod meets the knuckles. But it seems to be better now since i put some washers in between the nuckle and the tie rod.
Laker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Default Home built

I built my own bta kit from aluminum angle for the servo mount and after alot of trial and error I noticed that the closer I got the tirod to the nuckle the easyer time the servo had and the more turning I got out of it also want to keep the 2 tirods parallel. I know this is different than the thnder tech set up but this might help. I know drilling the stock nuckles isnt anyway to make the most durable mod ....(got aluminum on order)....hope this gives ideas

Last edited by gac1983; 01-25-2009 at 11:53 PM. Reason: mis spelled word
gac1983 is offline   Reply With Quote