RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Clod Buster (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/)
-   -   Speed controller (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/153889-speed-controller.html)

sixshooter 01-11-2009 08:58 AM

Speed controller

I have been out of the R/C scene for a long time. I decided to pull out my clod after visiting the site and starting a scale build. I am going to upgrade my speed controller, since the one that is in it is a borrowed one. I want to know what speed controllers are good. I am going to be going between crawling and bashing, never going higher than like a 19/20 turn modified most likely. I am interested in some of the traxxas speed controllers because I like water and snow. Are any of their SCs able to handle both crawling and bashing? If not, what should I get. Thanks

4ONDFLR 01-11-2009 06:27 PM

i run a traxxas evx in mine with no problems but it doesnt have a drag brake so ill be getting a new esc soon.

sixshooter 01-11-2009 07:06 PM

What is a drag brake?

blackradon 01-12-2009 01:05 AM

This feature makes the ESC try to keep the tires from rolling when the throttle is in neutral. Its pretty good option to have on a ESC.

sixshooter 01-12-2009 06:57 PM

Thanks for that info...Which ones fit that parameter, yet can fit what Iam looking for?

sixshooter 01-12-2009 06:58 PM

Does it act like a brake then when you let off the throttle? Can you dial it out at all? Thanks

blackradon 01-12-2009 07:21 PM

Yes, SOME(not all) you can "dial" to your likings...there are water proof ESC out there..MTroniks is one company that is well known for this. Also LRP makes water proof ESC's. But you can also rig something up to make it all water proof...I would take a look at the electronic section of these forums, TONS of info..there is also the always handy search tool.

King of Beers 01-13-2009 06:46 PM

I would buy two cheap esc's insted of spending alot on one. I bought a $200 novak super duty and have regreted it ever since. Get a set of duratrax intellispeed 16t esc'c and you will be alot happier. if you run one esc it will have the tendancy to "skip" whatever motor has traction and send all the power to the motor with no traction. oh and you can easily waterproof almost any esc.

sixshooter 01-13-2009 08:28 PM

I like the idea of running two ESCs, that will give me more options correct? I can run 2 smaller ESCs correct?

King of Beers 01-14-2009 10:07 AM

Yes

sixshooter 01-15-2009 08:49 PM

I looked in the electronics thread and did not find how to wire them...I am assuming I am not using the right words in search. Would I want 2 ESCs that are very tunable, or woul dI be happier with a simple one touch traxxas style ESC? Is there a thread on wiring them? Thanks for answering all of my ?s

TattooKenny 01-15-2009 11:41 PM

Spend the money and get a Mamba Max or 2 Novak Rooster crawler ESC's. The Mamba will handle anything you want to do and will run brushed or brushless. You can program it for what ever you want. Drag brake, brake, throttle, punch control, battery type and size, voltage cutoff, ect.......

Pzl1nz 01-16-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixshooter (Post 1521178)
I have been out of the R/C scene for a long time. I decided to pull out my clod after visiting the site and starting a scale build. I am going to upgrade my speed controller, since the one that is in it is a borrowed one. I want to know what speed controllers are good. I am going to be going between crawling and bashing, never going higher than like a 19/20 turn modified most likely. I am interested in some of the traxxas speed controllers because I like water and snow. Are any of their SCs able to handle both crawling and bashing? If not, what should I get. Thanks

I would look at Novak or Tekin. I have always had good luck with either brand.

Pzl1nz 01-16-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixshooter (Post 1525855)
I like the idea of running two ESCs, that will give me more options correct? I can run 2 smaller ESCs correct?

I have to disagree with running two. You want both motors to be synced so they are not fighting each other. I would run a single ESC and then decide if you want to run the motors in series or parallel.