Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: 2.2 comp clod pvc pimp cane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 2.2 comp clod pvc pimp cane

Well I started a 2.2 clod pimp cane using pvc pipe for the frame . I read on a few and I had it around so what the heck and if it doesn't work I can change it easy .So far I took the axles and did a nice jb weld locker for it and bearings and everything is smooth. In the rear I did the 1/2 inch washer trick for the rear lock out and it worked well and is tight with no give. The front I did the normal trimming of the steering stops and they had to be really smooth in order to clear the clod offset wheels.I got some mayhem spiders in a special clod offset from a freind and this really helps keep the track width narrow and right now it's at 10 3/4 " so we'll see what it ends up with tires. As far as tires I'm getting some made for a 2.2 clod that are called molanders since there moabs and badlanders (max size) spliced together which gives you a 5.8" tall tire which I need to help with diff clearence. Don't have them yet but soon. I'm trying to mount everything on the axles to keep the weight low so in the front I have the servo on the short axle side which is going to be a hi tech 5645 high torque(Ithink that the #) wait for it to show and battery tray for 2 1320 thunder power 3 cells which gives me a compact size and 2640 mah when wired in parrallell for some extra comp time. In the rear On one side I have the mamba max and on the other is were the dig box is going for front and rear dig. I'm not sure were the receiver is going yet but will find a spot for it.
Now I just have to get a few more things like 2 55 turn motors, adjustable mounts, pinions, some wire and deans and dig box handled along with some huge tire foams.
As far as the wheels go how much weight do I ad to the front and rear I was thinking 8 to 10 in front and 5 or 6 in rear?
Well hope you like my rig and someday it will have all the bling but right now just trying to get it going and have fun at the next comp. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

62 bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

lookin sweet, let us know how that pvc works for ya!
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default thanks

Thanks I hope it works good and right now it seems to have good flex but not too much and pretty ridgid front to back. We'll see but have heard of other people having good luck and I made a spare just in case.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
no talent hack

i think with the amount of flex it has now, just add some to the front (4 oz each) for weight bias and call it a day
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default cool

cool e hills I will add that ad try it out since this is different from most pimp cane it might need less weight than the normal alum ones.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:55 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It's nothing like a Pimp Cane...

How do you have it attached to the axles beside that bolt?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:18 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default attached

I have a small bolt to the top of the case behind the large bolt and I thought I might ad another bracket aswell but wanted to see how the assembled flex of it is first to figure out how far from the gearbox to attch the bracket since it's going to take away some flex.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:53 AM   #8

On my pimpcane chassis I found I actually gained some more flex when connecting the brackets (as originally I just had the 2 bolts in there). It wasn't much, but it made the difference between a sloppy loose angle and a nice tight one.
4thgenceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
It's nothing like a Pimp Cane...
True, itll actually flex Just messin with ya, the P/C is a fine product.

My brother-n-law started the PVC thing. Ive been runnin it for almost 2 years. If you take the time to get it fine tuned you will like it
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default attach

How did you guys attach your pvc piece to the axles besides the 2 main bolt? Do you have any pictures of your? I would love to see them and your are the ones I read about and gave me the idea. Thanks alot I love to try different things and since I'm a underground contractor I had the pipe lying around. Hope to here more about yours that would help me alot .
Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 bugzilla View Post
How did you guys attach your pvc piece to the axles besides the 2 main bolt? Do you have any pictures of your? I would love to see them and your are the ones I read about and gave me the idea. Thanks alot I love to try different things and since I'm a underground contractor I had the pipe lying around. Hope to here more about yours that would help me alot .
We used 2 8/32 bolts per end spaced about 1 1/2 inches apart. There is some minor dorsal flexing that can be mediated my using a thicker lexan body. I like the J Concepts bodies they seem to be sturdier than most. What do ya want pics of? Despite whan naysayers say the pvc is strong and light and it flexes well. Ive only broken one chassis in 2 years and Ive been runnin the same one now for about 6 months. Its just a matter of time before some vendor starts marketing the pvc cane
Old 01-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Default pics

Do you have pics of those bolts and brackets to the axles? I still need to do that part. I can't wait to get it going and I'm just waiting for some parts to finish. Do you comp yours ? What is your track width? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I dont think pics of my rig will help, Im running HR axles.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default wheels and tire and servo

Well I got the tires mounted up and servo in place. I love the tires and added 6.5 oz to front and 4 oz to rear and will be making a new pvc chassis with more pipe left on it so it doesn't flex so much. (nice thing with a pvc stick that you an make a new one quick and for pennys) Now after getting it this far I have an idea what I want. I' also going to make it longer so it hangs off the back more to connect the diff to it to keep them square with the chassis. Mounted a tower pro servo 995 208 oz torque and cheap so we'll see if it lasts at all. I do have a hitec 645mg for back up. Making my dig box now and waiting for other motor to show up. I think I'm going to start with a 7 tooth rear and 9 tooth front with the 55 turns on 3 cells and see how that is.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

whats ur width in the front?
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default width

11 1/4 now and I should be able to get it to under 11 with the right adapters and still all stock parts on diff. I'm planning on the jp small tubes and c's with the spindles to get it narrower but I also need ttr cvs aswell and that turns into a chunk of money which I don't have right now so it will stay like this for a while.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 bugzilla View Post
11 1/4 now and I should be able to get it to under 11 with the right adapters and still all stock parts on diff. I'm planning on the jp small tubes and c's with the spindles to get it narrower but I also need ttr cvs aswell and that turns into a chunk of money which I don't have right now so it will stay like this for a while.

ttr cvds will make you abou a 1/2 in wider becuse of the style of hex they run.
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Default mods

Runnin2jeepn shows a mod to use different hexs and redrill the cvds to move it in and make it narrower.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

What diameter PVC?
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Default pvc

3/4 inch and leave 3/4s of the pipe to limit flex some. I at first cut in the middle and it flexed way to much so I got a alum pimp cane since I knew they worked good and had less flex but today I helped a freind build one with the pvc and with more pipe left and it works good and will comp it on sat. so we'll see. It's cheap and accessable and works so perfect.