Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: 2.2 Comp Clod (hopefully)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 2.2 Comp Clod (hopefully)

Well here she is, this truck has taken a couple of different forms and set ups since i started it a couple of months back. I bought the clod axels second hand and started out with a tube chassis, It never looked right to me so i tore it down and put it on a chewed up K2 Chassis, absolutely hated that so tore it down again and completely started over. When i started I should have just bought berg axels but since i didn't i wanted to see how competitive I could make one of these classic rides. This is my first time posting up so try not to tear me down to bad on my set up.. This is my third truck i have built and each has been a learing experience.
Here is my parts list and set up:

Reign K2-3S Chassis
Clod Axels (shaved)
Axial Upper and Lower Links
Axial Drag Link and tie rod
TTR Straight axel kit - steering nuckles shaved on in the rear
HPI Shocks with Internal springs
RPM Revolvers with Axial Beadlock rings added 11 7/8" width
12 3/8" Wheel Base
Droop set up
Mamba Max ESC
JR XR3 Radio
HItec 645mg for dig switch (overkill)
Hitec 7955TG steering servo
integy axial braces and upper link mounts

Just figured i would post this up and see what people think of it. Any input is always good. Thanks

Laker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Looking good. Still trying to finish my Clod. Converting it to 2.2
sirhc0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

here is a pic of mine. still need to get motors. Just using stock ones right now till i get the suspention worked out.
sirhc0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Nice build...I like the use of axial links, I love the orange color.
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the compliments, yeah i have a set of orange bead lock rings that im gonna run as soon as i get my next set of wheels and HB Rovers. I switched her over to bta steering last night and actually like it better than in front. The only problem i have been having lately my axel clearance, but i knew that was gonna be an issue when i built it. I have some more action shots that i will post up along with my steering set up. Any other ideas from anyone for the old girl is appreciated.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i couldve just spent the money on bergs or bullys as well, but figured that since i had 2 clod supers, i'd try the 2.2 w/ clod axles. if it doesnt work out well, i can always sell the axles for supers and make the switch to bullys or bergs.

its also nice to see something different out on the rocks and be known as the "clod driver".
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Very nice looking Clod you have put together. The small pictures make it difficult to see some of the details however.

Like you I have some spare Clod axles and right now I am in the process of turning them into a 2.2 crawler because I already have a Clod Super Crawler.

Keep up the good work and postings so we can follow you along the rocky crawling road to success.

Carl
quickster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

nice clod. clod's make some of the most capable 2.2, imo. here's my 2.2.

chris_dishmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Yeah they are capable it just blows they are so wide. I really wanna find a good wheel that will get me at the 11" Mark width wise. I was looking at the mayhems, this is the third set of wheels i have had on this truck. The proline Epics were a good wheel but i was over 12" and i just didn't like the way they looked, and the second you got them wet the screws would rust. The revolvers are a good wheel but you get what you pay for im sure i haven't run them enough to beat them up to bad and you have to glue the tire on. I like the peace of mind of a bead lock wheel so i need to find something else. Good looking truck by the way, I have a tlt im going to make into a scale scout soon.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

check out the thread to making beadlocks out of pede wheels... the offset is the best ur gonna get for cheaper clod wheels. luckily i scored jpcustoms' set of rd400 beadlocks!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

So what is the track witth on your truck with those wheels?? I have an Idea to make some adapters for those proline epics that i have used and give them 100% Offset. But we will see how they work out.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
check out the thread to making beadlocks out of pede wheels... the offset is the best ur gonna get for cheaper clod wheels.

i wouldn't do this as the 'pede wheels are junk on a clod. i can't tell you how many times i stripped out those thin a$$ wheel hexes. i'm eventually gonna move my beadlocks over to the wifey's WK and get some mayhems for the clod to shorten it up.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_dishmon View Post
i wouldn't do this as the 'pede wheels are junk on a clod. i can't tell you how many times i stripped out those thin a$$ wheel hexes. i'm eventually gonna move my beadlocks over to the wifey's WK and get some mayhems for the clod to shorten it up.

did u do research here and use the suggestions on how to modify to prevent stripping the hexes?
Old 01-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker67 View Post
So what is the track witth on your truck with those wheels?? I have an Idea to make some adapters for those proline epics that i have used and give them 100% Offset. But we will see how they work out.
i'm waiting on a set of small knuckles from jp's, i can tell you when i get it all togather, or you can ask run2jeepin himself...
Old 01-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
did u do research here and use the suggestions on how to modify to prevent stripping the hexes?
yes i sanded down the lip on the brass hexes so they would sit better and reinforced the inside of the wheel with JB weld and they still broke. just spend the lil extra coin and get the right rim for the job.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I know its not necessarily the best option out there but if you want a narrower track width you could buy the tube shaft knuckle combo's from Integy. I have no idea on durability but they get the axles alot narrower. Just a thought.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
I know its not necessarily the best option out there but if you want a narrower track width you could buy the tube shaft knuckle combo's from Integy. I have no idea on durability but they get the axles alot narrower. Just a thought.
ya, can anyone comment on this combo??
Old 01-25-2009, 01:34 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
ya, can anyone comment on this combo??

The Shafts are weak and the only replacment is the stock ones.... So thats no Good... besides they are not needed.. All you need is a 2.2 Clod offset wheel. Mayhem makes them. Or did anyway.

I'm running TTR CVD's which widen your track width 1/2, Mod'd them for 14mm, Running the Small Tubes and Knuckles that I have listed on my website. No cutting or mod'ing besides the 14mm hex. And that isn't needed. I'm still at 10.5in.. Which is what alot of Bergs are running. There are only really 2 real Tire choices for 2.2 Clods. The rc4wd X-Locks and HB Rovers. Those are the smallest I would run. Before these came out it was Mod'ed Maxx Mashers aka Jordans or the Maxx Badlands Mod'ed aka Molanders... But those both are the old M2 compound. Which is out of date now. The Maashers where 5.6in tall and the badlands were 5.8in tall. Getting the track width down to or near 10.5 allows you to run a shorter tire. 5.5in.. Like the X-Locks and Rovers. Also 2.2 Clods with Alumn Gears and TTR CVD's are Tank proof.. Better then built proof..LOL You will never had to worry about breaking the axles during a Comp.

One more thing. On 2.2 Clods it is better to Flip the rear axle. The axle housing are so big they stock out in front of the rear tires. Having a 4 link helps some if you don't want to flip. As the links help slide rocks past them. At the least I would cut off the plastic and bolt that stick out just right of the motor.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 01-25-2009 at 01:37 AM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
The Shafts are weak and the only replacment is the stock ones.... So thats no Good... besides they are not needed.. All you need is a 2.2 Clod offset wheel. Mayhem makes them. Or did anyway.

I'm running TTR CVD's which widen your track width 1/2, Mod'd them for 14mm, Running the Small Tubes and Knuckles that I have listed on my website. No cutting or mod'ing besides the 14mm hex. And that isn't needed. I'm still at 10.5in.. Which is what alot of Bergs are running. There are only really 2 real Tire choices for 2.2 Clods. The rc4wd X-Locks and HB Rovers. Those are the smallest I would run. Before these came out it was Mod'ed Maxx Mashers aka Jordans or the Maxx Badlands Mod'ed aka Molanders... But those both are the old M2 compound. Which is out of date now. The Maashers where 5.6in tall and the badlands were 5.8in tall. Getting the track width down to or near 10.5 allows you to run a shorter tire. 5.5in.. Like the X-Locks and Rovers. Also 2.2 Clods with Alumn Gears and TTR CVD's are Tank proof.. Better then built proof..LOL You will never had to worry about breaking the axles during a Comp.

One more thing. On 2.2 Clods it is better to Flip the rear axle. The axle housing are so big they stock out in front of the rear tires. Having a 4 link helps some if you don't want to flip. As the links help slide rocks past them. At the least I would cut off the plastic and bolt that stick out just right of the motor.
bye chance have you been running this is comp latly.
1beatjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

run2jeepn,

Would you have an expected date of when you will be getting any more Small C Axle Tubes for Clods in stock? I need two sets for my PC build.

Carl

Last edited by quickster47; 01-25-2009 at 07:35 AM.
quickster47 is offline   Reply With Quote