Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: A couple of updates for the clodhopper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2004, 05:57 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default A couple of updates for the clodhopper

The way I had my savage shocks mounted to the new chassis were causing them to come in contact with the upper links. So I saw Grizzly's "The Duke" and saw he was happy with his coil/shock setup, so I figured I'd give it a try.

So I mounted some stock red Tmaxx coil springs to my chassis, and link mounted stock tmaxx shocks to my lower links using nylon cable clamps. To keep the clamps from moving, I drilled and tapped a 3mm hole in the link, drilled a hole in the clamp, and ran a 3mm screw through the clamp and in the link.

Pics are on my site http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/afertig...dbuster2.0.htm

After a few minutes driving around the backyard, it seems to do MUCH better than before. Very stable. But one coil did pop off the mount, so I may have to get creative and maybe super glue the coils to the mounts. That is, after I try a few different sets of springs to see which works best. I decided to use the maxx springs because they seemed to stretch a lot better than the savage springs.

let me know what you think
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
PapaGriz Yo

Default Re: A couple of updates for the clodhopper

Looks great Adam!
I am suprised to hear that you had a coil pop off though. :? I have never had that happen. It looks like you are using the Maxx spring cup at the axle end but I cant tell if the one at the frame is a Maxx cup. You have to use either Maxx or Losi cups, smaller ones like Associated will let the spring slip off cuz the axle pulls so hard on the spring when it droops. (I'm sure you knew that)
Keep the updates coming.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 06:30 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks Grizzly!

The coil mounts on the axle are maxx and the frame mounted ones are Savage. The one that popped off was a maxx.

And my rear steer lockout works great. My current servo doesn't have enough holding power to keep the wheels centered, so I had to lock it out for now. With the front servo saver gone, it steers pretty good.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

Huh, maybe yer just gettin more arti than I had with the canti's since you got the link mounted shocks. My droop is pretty limited with the limiting straps all cinched down on The SuperDuke.
Be careful running the LST's with no servo saver, I have been having problems stripping gears in my HiTec 5645's and 5945's. But I have to say that the steering control is worth it. (kinda :? )
The rear lockout looks great!
FYI, I really like the 2.5" Losi buggy springs, orange and red. I have never tried Maxx springs but I think I will.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Yea, I know I'm gambling with the LST's and no saver. Like you said, it's worth it. Servo savers are too damn sloppy.

The red maxx springs are nice and soft. You can pull on them and stretch them pretty easily. The savage springs I had are much stiffer and require too much force to extend.

Now I have to chop off my previous shock towers, and repaint everything. Oh, and get an aluminum servo saver.

Oh and mount a body. The Land Cruiser body that I ran previously is too small and looks goofy. I have a larger Chevy Avalanche body that I'm going to try. I might have to narrow it though. Cut it in half, take a few inches out, and glue it back together!
Old 08-31-2004, 06:58 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Location: ROCK CRAWLIN AND RACING WHERE I WANT AND HOW I WANT!!!

looks good I like that spring and shock set up.
RocJoc is offline   Reply With Quote