Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: E-hills Team RCC AKRCC Zues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
no talent hack

Default E-hills Team RCC AKRCC Zues

It was time to build a new super for 09. With the new 09 wb restriction's just around the corner I needed to get something done. I started off by sending Rocky over at AKRCC a pm. 2 days later, I had a new chassis sitting in my mailbox. I quickly brought it inside and opened up the package.

The chassis is one of the nicest I have seen. Fitment is A+ and it went together super easy.

Specs for this build will be:
AKRCC Zues
Clod Axles With metal gears, rc4wd tubes and knuckles, Hand brothers BTA's, and TTR cvd's
Downtown 1/2" delrin lower links
Losi Crawler shocks
Hitec 7955's
Dual Mamba Max
Handwound 45t's
Panther Plowboys on HPI Blast wheels
and a bunch of other stuff im forgetting

Last edited by Nabil; 03-09-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
no talent hack

Once that was done it was time to start tearing down the old truck for parts

Time for the electronics to come out

Goodbye Mantis

Old 03-09-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
no talent hack

Downtown hooked me up with some 3/8th's Delrin to use for mockup and make sure the measurements I gave him were correct. And I threw them on to continue on with the build.

Threw some tires on to get an idea of link angles at the 4" ride height

I am having Dave build me 4 pairs of links. They will be 5 1/4", 5 1/2", 5 3/4" and 6" (all lengths are without rodends). Using the adustments built into the chassis and the combination of lower links I should be able to adjust wheelbase from 16 1/4" to 17 3/4". In this picture I am using 5 1/2" and 5 3/4" link lengths.

I need to go pick up some more stainless tubing in the morning to sleeve the last upper link.

Last edited by Nabil; 03-09-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Who made that BIG Mantis chassis? It looks pretty nice.

Carl

BTW, nice build.
quickster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
no talent hack

VisionaryFabrication production Mantis chassis. (prototype build)
Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Default MiNd SaBoTage!

It will never work!
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
no talent hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by carver View Post
It will never work!
Probably not, but atleast it will look cool
Old 03-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

Look cool it will for sure! This is looking like a killer build so far, great stuff Nabil.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I DON'T LIKE IT!

Inside joke..
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

nice looking build so far. seems to me that the chassis might bend in the middle like the blackjacks did.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #11
Im Brandon

Looks great. I will be watching this so I can copy you when I start mine
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Looking foward to see this Nabil! Looks like its gonna be a killer! The plates are SUPER strong. Stress tests have been done up and shes performing great at comps from all around. Those extra holes on the skid are for extra support as well. If anything just make sure you use your standoffs where Steve (Raptorman57) is running them and you should be good to go. Looks like you already added extra standoffs to help cure some chassis flex if your running a lot of weight. I hope you like the skid, I must have tested dozens of different types of materials before sending all the team drivers there protos. This baby should slide like butter.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #13
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Can't wait to see it live and in action!
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default Looks sweet Nabil

Looks great nabil and can't wait to see in person but must say I did like the mantis aswell.
62 bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
no talent hack

Heres some updates for tonight. Started off by putting together the Losi shocks. Assembled them with 50 wt oil and a combo of green and silver springs. I also used traxxas shock ends instead of the Losi ones. i have always had bad luck with the Losi ones popping apart

I was able to meet up with downtown after school today and picked up my lower links. All the sizes were spot on and the quality is amazing. I dont see myself breaking these things anytime soon.

I assembled the links and threw them on the truck. I used the 5 3/4" links in the rear and 5 1/2" links in the front. This set me up at a 17 1/4" wheelbase, exactly where I wanted to start

The shocks are just ziptied to the lower links so I can figure out where I need to mount the lower shock mounts. Oh yeah, I also sleeved the other upper link
Old 03-10-2009, 01:08 AM   #16
no talent hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 bugzilla View Post
Looks great nabil and can't wait to see in person but must say I did like the mantis aswell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
Can't wait to see it live and in action!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Looks great. I will be watching this so I can copy you when I start mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver View Post
I DON'T LIKE IT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Look cool it will for sure! This is looking like a killer build so far, great stuff Nabil.
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
nice looking build so far. seems to me that the chassis might bend in the middle like the blackjacks did.
I dont think it will. The sideplates seem much stiffer then my blackjack did. Plus the skidplate wraps around the bottom of the chassis acting like an additional brace preventing it from flexing downwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRCC View Post
Looking foward to see this Nabil! Looks like its gonna be a killer! The plates are SUPER strong. Stress tests have been done up and shes performing great at comps from all around. Those extra holes on the skid are for extra support as well. If anything just make sure you use your standoffs where Steve (Raptorman57) is running them and you should be good to go. Looks like you already added extra standoffs to help cure some chassis flex if your running a lot of weight. I hope you like the skid, I must have tested dozens of different types of materials before sending all the team drivers there protos. This baby should slide like butter.
Thanks again for the chassis Rocky! I'm not even close to finishing it yet, and it's already shaping up to be my favorite super I have ever built. Another thing I found out is a revo pushrod can be bolted to the side of the chassis to act as an additional brace closing in the chassis
Old 03-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #17
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Nice clean build as always Nabil. It's wonderful to see new Supers being built. What type of controller are you going to use?

I hope that with renewed interest in the class, manufacturers will get off there @$$es and come out with new tires and products for the super class. It would be nice if a club in the state of Texas ran supers as well
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #18
no talent hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Nice clean build as always Nabil. It's wonderful to see new Supers being built. What type of controller are you going to use?
Thanks Eddie, as far as the controller goes I am still not 100% decided. I got a DX3R, Nomadio React, and a 2.4ghz Hitec Optic 6 sitting here right now. I would like to stay with a pistol grip but cant decide if i can live with just 3 channels or a Nomadio.

I have been looking at a 4pk aswell for my berg, so this might be the push that forces me to buy one.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 AM   #19
no talent hack

Default Tonights Updates

Didnt get too much done tonight, started off by switching the lower links to the 5 3/4" and 6" combo with the longer links out back. This bumped the truck up to a 17 3/4" wb. Next it was time to locate the tlt suspension stays on the lower links. Once I figured out where they had to go I grabbed the drill and made 2 #40 holes 1/2" apart on each link. I then grabbed my 3mm tap and threaded all 8 holes, and bolted the tlt stay to the link.

The shocks are mounted to the tlt stay with a small piece of fuel tube and a 3mm screw and nylock nut

I test fitted the battery in the skid plate, and mounted the old wheels and tires so I could make sure I didnt screw up my measurements and ride height was where I wanted.

The battery is a 2200mah Poly RC 4S LIPO from Holmes Hobbies, here is a link to the pack

I placed the old body on top of the truck to try and get an idea of what I want to run. CrawlerGraphics will be painting a new body for this truck once I figure out something that would look good and still be able to be slammed. I have never been a fan of tiny (2.2 sized) bodies on a super.

This should be close to the stance I am shooting for

Old 03-11-2009, 04:15 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Looking good Nabil! Like the stance. Pretty cool how you can still tell what type of chassis your running with the body cut out like that. You can see the AKRCC TM along the side.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote