Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Can someone review my settings for my clod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Can someone review my settings for my clod

Here's what I got
3s 11v 2200 mah lipo
CCBEC set at 6v
2 crawfordengineering servos (for now)
Spektrum SR3300T receiver
Spektrum DK3S Radio
2 either 40 or 55 t Warrior II motors. I originally specified 40's but changed it to 55t's if they are not already built, shipped.

I'm going to wire it as follows

And my Mamba Max Settings. I would like someone who knows what they're doing to review it and see if it looks ok?

Is the Arming setting ok for the radio I have?

Thanks a lot.

knuckleslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

on my spektrum system with a sidewinder i also run 1.5 sec. arming.
The wiring looks to be good also.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

looks ok to me. im not sure on lipo stuff though. i run my brake at 100% also for both brakes
4ONDFLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Wire the rear motor the opposite of the front one or they will be fighting each other to see what direction the truck will go.
xblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I've been reading to have the BEC power the servos only, what do you think?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleslammer View Post
On my crawlers, I run my BECs exactly like you posted in your diagram and have had no troubles thus far...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Do you have a clod also?

Here's what someone else told me in an email. I swear, I'm taking pictures of everything to put up for sale now. I don't have any money left, I'm completely discouraged.

You need either a 4 channel stick controller or a 4PK Futaba. Without dual ESC's the rear motor will cut out under load. The only way around that is dual ESC's. Single ESC's create clod stall.

I also made a new wiring diagram for dual ESC's that is attached to this email. Also the DX3S controller only has 2 position 3rd channel. It doesn't work correctly with rear steer or ESC control with out mixing. I do not think the DX3S will work.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Aw man.....dont get discouraged. Every crawler has it's advantages and disadvantages and Clods have "clodstall". There are way to work around clodstall, just read through the threads here.

Yes, I have a 2.2 clod as well. Here is a pic:

There is a build thread on this board for that truck.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Well, I thought I could have 1 esc, 2 motors, 1 bec and have it all work. Aparantly not. Now I don't know if this 2 esc thing is for competition, I don't compete, no interest. But I think I'm done. No matter why I buy, it's not good enough and not enough.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Sure! You can run only one ESC....there are plenty of builds that use only one....and some of them are competition crawlers. Hell, I'd be willing to bet that EVERY Berg build has only ONE ESC and dual motors.

Just build what works best for you, within your budget and dont worry with what everyone else here says that you "must" do...this hobby is supposed to be fun, not give you a migrane!
Old 04-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

yep, two motors, one esc and radio with at least 3 channels (i use a Nomadio React)

Here is how I did my dig setup on my berg
Shane's Kamikaze Kustoms Zero ST Berg

I did the same dig setup on my clobuster
Shane's Kamikaze Kustoms Zero ST Berg

i dont have 4ws on my clod and gets around great with the elec dig setup.
I used a diagram I found on the board. It is on my computer at the house though. Then you just solder bec to battery lead and plug into reciever. I got frustrated with the dig (wirign everything up) stuff too, until i actually started building one. Trail and error, and some cussing too. But i finally got it down.

Last edited by Szczerba; 04-21-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I would turn your brake up to 100% and set your motor timing to 0 unless you have adjusted the timing on both motors. Arming time is fine. Also if you run one ESC, wire your motors in series ESC to front motor then from the front motor to the rear motor it will setup good "clod stall" it's like dig.

Last edited by hitman46mod; 04-21-2009 at 03:08 PM.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys, I've had it. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm selling it all.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

dude you have it! i run the same xact setup on my super with a cheap tq3 radio and its awesome!!!! dont let someone ignorance defer you from a super! what you have is great!!!
4ONDFLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
I would turn your brake up to 100% and set your motor timing to 0 unless you have adjusted the timing on both motors. Arming time is fine.
X2....

You can also adjust your brake and throttle curves (green and red lines) to help you out as well. Everyone likes a bit different set up on those,so just do a little trial and error with that until you get it dialed to your likings.

Quote:
You give up to quick. What you have will work just fine. There have been ALLOT of comps won with ALLOT less "fancy" stuff than what your starting with. There was a day when crawlers HAD to build EVERYTHING for themselves. You noobies got it made now. I don't know who told you that you HAD to have 2 ESC's in a super. They must be a jackass. Sure,it's nice,but not mandatory.

Once you get your rig built and drive it,get used to it. Learn how to work with what you got and you can always upgrade or try new things later.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Here's what I got
3s 11v 2200 mah lipo
CCBEC set at 6v
2 crawfordengineering servos (for now)
Spektrum SR3300T receiver
Spektrum DK3S Radio
2 either 40 or 55 t Warrior II motors. I originally specified 40's but changed it to 55t's if they are not already built, shipped.

I'm going to wire it as follows

And my Mamba Max Settings. I would like someone who knows what they're doing to review it and see if it looks ok?

Is the Arming setting ok for the radio I have?

Thanks a lot.
Your wiring and Mamba settings look good.

Quote:
Nah, the way you have it drawn is fine.

Quote:
Do you have a clod also?

Here's what someone else told me in an email. I swear, I'm taking pictures of everything to put up for sale now. I don't have any money left, I'm completely discouraged.

You need either a 4 channel stick controller or a 4PK Futaba. Without dual ESC's the rear motor will cut out under load. The only way around that is dual ESC's. Single ESC's create clod stall.

I also made a new wiring diagram for dual ESC's that is attached to this email. Also the DX3S controller only has 2 position 3rd channel. It doesn't work correctly with rear steer or ESC control with out mixing. I do not think the DX3S will work.
Knuckle slam that fool! You do NOT need 2 esc's. I've competed for the last 3 years with 1 esc in my clod, and I was very competitive in my club. I was almost always in the top 3, and I even took it out to the '06 Nationals like that. You'll be just fine.

Clod stall, you should embrace clod stall. It's a great thing to have. It acts like a dig on steep climbs. Just lightly squeeze the throttle until the front tires grab, then increase the throttle lightly and the rear motor will kick in. Without it, the rears will continue to climb. And if the rears grab before the fronts, the truck will flip over backwards.

Now as far as the DX3s goes, here's what I would do: Mix the aux channel(rear steer) to the front steering so you have 4 wheel steer controlled by the wheel. Then if you ever want/need to crab walk, just turn the mix off and steer with the third channel.

Don't give up man. You've obviously done your homework. Just do some more searching, and figure out how you can make it work.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

You do not need 2 ESC's to have a pretty good Super.
My son finished 8th at the 08 Nationals with a single ESC.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
You do not need 2 ESC's to have a pretty good Super.
My son finished 8th at the 08 Nationals with a single ESC.
I know for a fact #4 and #5 only had one ESC also. I would say 90% of the supers in CO are done with one esc. That is how I am building mine.
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

dont give up man. Im building a clod i can bash with and some crawling for under 100 bucks . It dont matter what you dont have but what you do and how you work it to work for you. Its easy to feel overwhelmed i guess, but this is a hobby and sopposed to be fun and relaxing, it is to me anyways, even if i lost a clod to the mighty river this summer, right back at it

Just so you know i made a great crawler last summer from a clod and maybe 40 bucks in parts...most were laying around. I dont run really expensive stuff, mainly cuzz i beat the snot out of things and i like to be creative . Never give up.

There is creativity and motivation in us all, just got to find it

Quote:
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote