Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: TTR CVD's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TTR CVD's

where can i order ThuderTech Racing CVD's for the Clod?

Seems everywhere i look is backordered and doesn't even give the option to place a back order.

Are they still making these CVD's? My HotRacing cvd's absolutely SUCK!! I've broken 3 so far in three times to the rocks. I went from 4s lipo down to 2s lipo and still broke the HR's. Stockers are no better..... my rig is brushless and weighs 15lbs and I need some serious strong axle!

Want to try these TTR's!

vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXTTYov_OJc

Last edited by WRXronald; 04-19-2009 at 04:20 PM.
WRXronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

Did you try emailing Thundertech? If you own a Clod or TXT you can't live without them!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

TTR is out as well. He has more being made now.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
TTR is out as well. He has more being made now.

How come nobody's site will take back orders on these though? Any idea timeframe or just have to keep checking back to jpcustoms for availability ?
Old 04-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I have two sets sitting around new in plastic. I picked them up for a set of TXT's but never got around to building them and don't think I will get around to them any time soon. PM me it you are interested
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
I have two sets sitting around new in plastic. I picked them up for a set of TXT's but never got around to building them and don't think I will get around to them any time soon. PM me it you are interested
you've got PM!
Old 04-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'm waiting for the TTR too...
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default ...

looks like Clarkrw3 was nice enough to HOOK ME UP!!!

lucky because my rig is basically sidelined till i can get the TTR's going. Don't waste your money on the HR's, unless you're just wanting a "CVD" vs the stock dog bones.

Now comparing the broken HR's to the stock dog bones, I would have to guess the stock dog bones are stronger than the HR cvd's. The HR's have a TINY little hinge-pin in the cvd portion... it breaks easily.... and not to boot the inner 6mm axle breaks easily as well right where the axle meets up into the elbow. The whole mechanism just lacks enough METAL TO METAL contact surface to hold up strongly. Looking at the TTR even though they are the same 8mm outer stub axle and 6mm inner axles construction, the bone/ball joint is completely reversed from the HR's. Placing the ball area on the thick 8mm stub axles side, and the cup on the inner axle side, again -- this is reverse of the HR's, which place the ball/pin on the inner axle side which is a small 6mm thickness. Makes the whole area WAY too weak.

Who knows, i could be too hard on rigs, maybe the TTR's will break on me too. If that happens I don't know what the heck to do, put my rig on a BIG diet or something :-P and go down to 2.2 wheels with 5.5inch tall crushers instead of 40series 6in tall narrowed Maserh2k's on heavy aluminum wheels.

good luck with your search dude26!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXronald View Post
Who knows, i could be too hard on rigs, maybe the TTR's will break on me too.
Nope, you're not the only one who has broken those HR CVDs....I snapped one within 5 minutes of running my 2.2 clod in my driveway.

You wont have ANY trouble with the TTR CVDs!!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
good luck with your search dude26!
Thanks

but I hope they have not stopped production.. ?:?
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Nope, you're not the only one who has broken those HR CVDs....I snapped one within 5 minutes of running my 2.2 clod in my driveway.

You wont have ANY trouble with the TTR CVDs!!
Well ok that is a BIG relief to hear... thanks Jeremy.

Its always difficult when trying to buy aftermarket parts -- you never can tell for sure if they'll be as good as you need them to be. I went with the HR's due to availability.... that was a mistake. To date have paid for 3 pairs, and have busted 3 axles. That's the cost of a set of TTR's + several drinks at the bar

after blowing so much $ on the HR's, I was hesitant to go after the TTR's, thought maybe i could just buy up a bunch of cheap stock replacements ($10/pair) and go from there. But its such a hassle to swap out the inner axle piece over and over again (i'm getting good and quick at it now though).

I just figured the TTRs could be no better than the HR's since they were constructed the same. But then I compared pics of how the TTRs were made compared to the HR's i had in hand --- It seemed to me the TTR's were intuitively a better design by putting the ball joint on the 8mm stub axle side.

Just glad to hear others who have had issues with the HR's have had success with the TTR's

thanks again!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I have the TTR's on both of my supers and have never broken an TTR. If I was worried about there strength I wouldn't have parted with these spares that I had purchased for the TXT 14'r rock racer I had planned. You should have NO problems.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I just figured the TTRs could be no better than the HR's since they were constructed the same. But then I compared pics of how the TTRs were made compared to the HR's i had in hand --- It seemed to me the TTR's were intuitively a better design by putting the ball joint on the 8mm stub axle side.
Yep, not only is the design much better, but the material and hardening process is better with the TTRs. You should give TTR a call and speak with Darren (or Dwane, I cant remember exactly)....he can tell you a LOT about the CVDs and knows his stuff!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Got them today,

Thanks Clarkrw3 !!

But problem -- they don't fit with stock axle dimensions? The "C" is not deep enough to line a knuckle up with the holes in the C. I have alum HR tubes/C's... but they are stock fitment/dimensions.

What do i need to run to make these fit? new knuckles or C's/tubes? that sucks.... i have already got all alum HR stuff and it actually does seem ok quality (i've beaten on it and its not broke)

So whose knuckels/C's fit?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

They should fit. Are you running the Small C tubes and knuckles? Can you post a picture?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Default ...

gosh dang....

yeah i just checked and although the alum HR's look like same fitment as the stock tubes, they are indeed not.

The TTR w/HR knuckle does fit fine in the stock tube C.

It does not however fit with the HR alum tube C.

jeez.

Well i guess i go back to stock tube C's or buy some other new ones.

Anyone know which alum ones fit AS STOCK for sure? Integy, others?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

That is quite strange! You might PM Run2Jeepin about this....he has quite a bit of experience with the different clod products sold by Hot Racing and should be able to help you out.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Im sorry you had trouble...I know the Integy tubes work that's what i have on my rigs also RC4WD axle tubes work.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Default ..

thanks,

yeah no prob for now i'll put them in with the stock axle tubes.

i've never broken a stock axle tube yet, just went for the alums for looks. And havin' the TTR's is MUCH more worth it than having alum axle tubes. The TTR's look much better than the HR's in terms of the cvd joint.

eventually maybe i'll get the integy tubes or another set; after i sell the HR's.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #20
MODERHATER™

Just don't use the inside bearing on the knuckle.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote