Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Dual servo steering ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #1

Default Dual servo steering ideas?

hello,
I was just wondering if anyone has tried to run 2 steering servos in parallel, to work together for twice the steering power.

I have seen the on axle servo set ups, but I didn't know if it could be accomplished any other way? Perhaps ball joints and two servo arms of same length tied together with a turnbuckle so that the action worked together for 2x the strength?

Just an idea I am working on now that I have ESC, and an extra servo.

Thanks
bigd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

yep, check the utrcrc.com archives
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #3

Default ....

I am also working on a dual servo setup and any pics or info would be great!
twitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #4

do you mean 2 servos on 1 axle or 2 servos mounted in the chassis??
ratpower396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #5

I'd think two in the chassis. Wouldn't two on the axle be a little overkill?
1of1547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

On a stock plastic tub Clod chassis? I don't really see the point in that. If you are going for more steering performance, the best thing you can do is mount the servos to the axles. One on each axle. The steering will be much better because there will be less slop, less linkages, and it will be more direct. Mounts for the servos are getting pretty affordable these days, and you can even make your own, if you feel like it. When I couldn't find a mount that worked perfect for my Clod, I just made my own out of some aluminum.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #7

Default yep

sorry, not to hijack bigd's post either but I meant 2 on 1 axle as I have destroyed many servos and there cases running one per axle. making a plate to mount 2 but help would help. lol Again, SORRY Bigd for jumpin in yer post!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

2 servos on 1 axle is not to far fetched . The mini revo uses 2 sevos for the front steering for extra protection and power.
droopmodmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

there are many people mounting 2 servos on each axle with great success. not on the clod axle however, its very difficult to make linkage work and finding room for 2 servos.

kamikaze had the right idea, and one of the only ideas, but pretty sure he still couldnt get it to work just right on clod axles

Reworking the Super

you could alway try 1/4 scale servos
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

That is an awesome set-up, in the link above. Wow. But a lot of work. The cool thing I can see about that set-up, besides the torque, is that the amount of throw for each wheel can be individually dialed in, for the proper ackerman geometery. Very nice. The inside tire should always turn tighter then the outside. Something that is not always easily done with the aftermarket steering kits out there. On the downside, this dual servo set-up would be expensive, and complex. From a packaging stand-point, space would be really tight on that axle. Kind of gives me ideas though. On my Super Class Clod, I made my own BTA steering kit, using an aftermarket linkage, but I made my own servo mount. Turned out great, and I could easily make another servo mount for the opposite side of the axle, if I had to. Hmmm.....

Double up and I would have it.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
Sul
Pebble Pounder

What about just running one of the new HiTech HS-7950TH servos? 486oz/in at 7.4v, lots of punch in small package. I think i'm going to upgrade my HiTech 5955 with one of these.
Sul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sul View Post
What about just running one of the new HiTech HS-7950TH servos? 486oz/in at 7.4v, lots of punch in small package. I think i'm going to upgrade my HiTech 5955 with one of these.
just threw them on mine, they work nice, but just imagine 972oz torque
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
Sul
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbound View Post
just threw them on mine, they work nice, but just imagine 972oz torque

Now your talking!!!!! I see broken parts
Sul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #14

Talking hmm

I guess I'll see what I come up with. Thanks rockbound, I saw kamikaze's thread but forgot. the best ideas by far! (that I've seen) lol also nice to see you around Espeefan, yer rig has inspired mine.. Thanks for the Help every1 ! Peace
Old 05-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

900 something oz. or torque could probably pull the rod ends off the links! LOL I was previously running two Futaba S9156 servos, front and rear, on my super, but the front axle is very heavy, especially with the 8 cell saddle packs on the front knuckles. There were times when the S9156 couldn't turn the front tires to well, so I upgraded the front servo to a Futaba S9157. Now I've yet to have a problem throwing the wheels around, but I have not really tested the limits. The 425 oz. that the S9157 puts out seems great. The S9156 puts out 340 oz. which is nothing to complain about either, but the sub-c cells on the knuckles required a little extra omph at times.

twitch1, it's nice that I have inspired someone. I don't hear that often. Thanks, buddy.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #16

Make sure you use a servo syncronizer or sync your dual servos internally with a servo programmer (if applicable) or you'll quickly break/strip gears in high torque servos...just happened to me this weekend with Hitch HS-7954SH servos :(!!
magicald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Or you could avoid that by using adjustable turnbuckles coming off the servo horns. Center the two servos up so they aren't fighting one another and it's no problem. Or, you could just run one servo per knuckle. No long drag link connecting the two knuckles together. Then each servo works a knuckle on it's own. This would be the cat's meow, I think. You could dial in the EPA for each servo separately, run them with a channel mix, and you could fine tune the steering geometery to get the perfect ackerman effect. Also there would be no knuckle to knuckle steering linkage to get hung up on the rocks.