Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: My Crawler Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #1

Default My Crawler Project

Well, here's the begining of my nightmare. This is my supposed "complete" roller kit bought from another site's vendor. I should be able to piece this together, he's sending me the parts he left out(such as the upper link mounts for the diffs, lower link mounts, servo mounts, and a couple other things). I'll do some updates as it comes together. Buying this "kit" is influencing me ever more to build my own tuber. I'll swing by Lowes and sheck out the supplies needed. Anyways, here's the project p.o.s.:

chadmandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks pretty long, what's the wheelbase?:?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #3

yeah, this guy built the damn thing huge, between 18 1/3 and 20 inches....I can probably chop the links.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

So how much did he get you for, if you don't mind me asking?:?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #5

Well, since I'm an admin on another site, we were "teaming our sites" together. He gave me a "discount." My truck only cost total about 400, my friend sunk about 800 into his with a butt load of aftermarket parts. This was for the axles, wheels/tires, motors(don't even know what type), tuber frame, linkages(home made pieces of $**t), servo mounts(P.O.S. also). I would have made my own, but had no clue where to start and was looking for a good starter truck. I was wrong, lol.......We'll see what I can pull out of this. I've spent the last two days grinding down all the brazing drips that ran down the frame since the paint was flaking off anyways. He said he painted some awesome design on the panels, nope, they arrived blank. He wouldn't answer my emails, pm's, or phone calls. Now, who is this mystery jack@$$?!?!?! Does the name Tom Knight ring a bell with anyone???? Lol, I didn't know how shady he was or his past dealings until after we did our transaction. It took him 1 year and 3 months for this POS. After mine, then I'll be fixing my friend's truck. He blamed the broken "welds" and flaking paint on UPS, although the box arrived in PERFECT condition. There will definately be a write up on the front page of my site when I'm done with this truck.....that bastard, sorry for the long rant...I just hate it when I trust someone and I get burned.....sigh.......

Last edited by chadmandry; 02-02-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Well that really blows!
Old 02-06-2006, 12:09 AM   #7

Well, I went bty Lowes and bought the propane torch kit and a bottle of MAPP gas. I re-did the broken weld and added on a front bumper/light mount. I'm playing around with some solid rod I bought. Any special tricks to brazing, or is it just like soldering pluming joints? I'm expecting it to drip and to have to file/clean up the joints. Otherwise, do I still get liberal with the flux? This is turning into such a headache figuring out where to mount crap. I need to make a servo mount as well as trying to figue out how I'm going to mount the bottom of the shock. I see how others are mounting the shocks to the lower links and the fittings their using, I just have to find the appropriate spot since the truck was supposed to have been built to accomodate savage shocks. Please, anyone feel free to bump in some tips/clues if you have any for me, I'd appreciate the help.