Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: what do do with the clod on the shelf.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 03:46 AM   #1

Default what do do with the clod on the shelf.

Hello all, thanks for any replies. Let me first say,I have done lots of searchs and found nothing conclusive. I have an old clod eyeballing me from the shelf to do something with it. I would love to build a super out of it. but axle parts and even chassis are getting harder to find. I really like the hustler chassis, it's out of stock.

I've thought about building an oldschool monster flatbed with a bullhead body to haul my creeper out to my rock pile. Or possible just restoring it for a shelf queen.

Basically, Is it worth building a super with basically stock axles? or should I just build a custom hauler out of it?
grapeape1000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

A super with stock axles can work but, like anything, add big tires and lots of load and stuff starts breaking. First you will strip the hex on the main gear so you will replace it with steel gears, then you will start snapping axle shafts so you will need to get some thundertech racing shafts... next you will break a c or a knuckle so time to get aluminum. After that you are left with original gear cases.

By no means am I trying to tell you not to build one... supers rock and I have built several. Personally I would loook at some stick builds. I know I have done a couple on here that include some very detailed information. And they are way easier to build than they look. A drill, tap and dremil are all you need.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #3

thanks for the reply. I tossed around a stick build. I might be missleading by saying I want to keep axles stock. I should say. Most upgrades seem to be obsolete now. If I could get shafts and gears, I would. Every major vendor seems to be sold out of Most parts. It might be smarter to buy some bully axles or something similar.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

check thundertechracing.com for axle shafts and adjustable motor mounts, Crawford performance for servo mounts and as much as I hate to say it, Integy for tubes. I think the gears I used before were either axial or hotracing.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

eBay has tons of Clodbuster parts as well. Not as good as supporting a vender. But works in a pinch. Just picked up a sweet Clod custom roller two days ago . I saw everything from axle housing's and pinion gear's. To a complete bearing set and locker's.

Last edited by uplate; 09-02-2010 at 03:57 AM.
uplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 AM   #6

Yeah, Im gonna give it a shot to build some axles. time to open up the wallet a bit.