Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Northern colorado newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Northern colorado newbie

Greetings to all. I have been going over this site for about the last 4 months as I researched my first build. Thanks go out to a young veteran ft. collins local and to all of the characters on this site for giving me the inspiration and guidance for my first build. Any issue I could not figure out was always clarified by digging through the forums. Great site.

Here are the details of my project:

Chassis: NN

Axles: clod w/ jb weld locked diffs

motors: 2 Integy 55t w/ 8 tooth pinions

ESC:Tekin rebel2

Servos: Hitech HS45 4ws

wheels: narrowed Maximizer beadlocks

tires: Imex red rocks w/ starcut foams and BB's

wheelbase: 16"

width:14.5"

clearance at belly: 4.25"

Check out these pics and let me know what you think.

http://server4.pictiger.com/albums/419/city-crawl-1/
dystance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks good! How do you like the Red Rock Tires?:?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
RCC Addict

sweet, first to see run the new imex tires.
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:56 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looking good .
mp3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Nice looking rig. I also live in the Fort up at Horsetooth. We get together almost every weekend (weather permitting) mostly 2.2s and an occasional clod/powertool hybred. I'll let you know so you don't have to always "city wheel".
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

hey guy's, let me know when you go crawlin, I live in Johnstown not to far of a drive for me. I'm always looking for a few new places to play!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

good to hear from some northern colorado locals. meeting up would be great. will be out this weekend at the resevoir if weather allows. I was just urban crawling to get my setup right. I went out to the resevoir later in the day but had no memory card in the camera. I with all this great terrain around we should organize a bit and show what colorado has to offer. lets try to gather as many locals as we can and set up some informal gatherings. great things can happen when people put their heads together. as far as the Imex red rocks go, I don't have alot of experience but they seem to grip the rocks well. we have lots of sharp edged rock here. I do like the height and width of the tire. I did a regular star cut on the foams narrowed to match the rims but thought the sidewalls needed more support. so I glued triangle shaped pieces to the end of each star point, and now have the same paddle effect on the sidewalls. seems to work great. thanks for the feedback guys, looking forward to crawling with others. more pics in the near future ( as soon as it dries out)
Old 03-22-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

Rumor has it the next competition may be at Skippy's place near Redfeathers, ya'll should try and make it.

That's a good looking rig and I'd like to see it in action.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I don't know if skippy's is gonna work, He was saying that he has 1' of snow on the ground right now. So unless it does some major melting it's gonna be snowy and muddy.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I though I would post some shots showing the layout of my rig to see what you think. I have only had one problem which seems to be some type of glitching when the crawler sits still. I will be paused to negotiate an obstacle and the motor will briefly twitch. Any ideas? It seems to be some interference. Thanks for the positive feedback so far. Let me know if anyone is going crawling in the area.

http://server4.pictiger.com/albums/435/rig-setup/
Old 03-22-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Could be the way you have your antenna bundled and zip tied to the chassis. :? Maybe build yourself an antenna mount something like this, Made from scrap Lexan.
Attached Images

Last edited by dezfan; 03-22-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:01 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I'd agree with Dez antenna looks very suspicious especially zipped to aluminum. Put that wire in a mast not touching any aluminum and you should be good to go. Also make sure rec. is not touching aluminum. Obviously no wheeling the tooth this weekend (weather and I'll be in AZ) we still have snow on 80% of rocks. Hopefully next weekend will be good.
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:35 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The resevoir was great on saterday, good weather and the snow had melted off almost everywhere. Thanks for the antenna tip. I did as advised and the glitching is gone. I've attached a link to some pics of the rig (still no name) in action on the rocks at horsetooth reservoir. All shots were driven into and out of. She seems to work very well. I am suprised at the terrain these things can get over. The underside of the axles were taking a beating so I did a quick skid plate that helps. Hope you enjoy the pics. Let me know.

http://server4.pictiger.com/albums/476/horsetooth1/
Old 03-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Nice crawling spot! Glad to hear the glitching problem has been eliminated. As for a name for your rig? How about Rambunkious!:-P
Old 03-26-2006, 10:07 AM   #15
MODERHATER™

Man that looks like a great place to crawl! Maybe sometime we can hook up and crawl there! WICKED TRUCK! ROCK RAM?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Bring it to the comp next Sunday! See the comp section, I wanna see how those tires work!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:25 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

The spot is great for crawling. I've been there several times and no hassle. It would be great to have some others there to check it out. It's a short walk from a small parking lot just before one of the dams. I have spent some time working out some routes. The place has lots of potential. Any time some one wants to meet up on the weekend or evenings let me know.

I am planning on attending comp #5 to check out the scene. Never been to a comp before. Looking forward to meeting some folks into crawling.

Thanks for the comments and name suggestions.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:37 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Looks good man, I have played there at that same spot before. It's probably the best (and closest spot) to crawl around here. You'll love the NN I sure do, hopefully we'll see you at the comp.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote