Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: super crawler help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default super crawler help

i building a super crawler
need to know what is the best set up (like a diagram or something)
with 2 esc a dig or something i dont know what i need
corvair wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i built mine with a 3 channel radio and no dig because the rear steer worked better.. and one esc. the novak super rooster crawler did the trick for me...
roninwarrior555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #3

I've had good luck using a Traxxas EVX-2 ESC
Soloratov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

What is your budget?
Comp or backyard fun?
If you check out the builds in this section and the super section you will find alot of good ideas, then tweak them to your preferences.
lud98r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

comp i dont know how much i cost so i have just been saving and hopeing i wont be to much
Old 12-09-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

This is a good statring on a budget. To crawl you will need some good tires and have lockers. jb weld works to lock them up. Also look into getting a punk dig for dig and burn. There are allot of chassis out there for super crawlers just use the search and type in (super chassis).

2 55 turn motors
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/i...86/6419391.htm
adjustable motor mounts
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/i...74/5274018.htm
pinions
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/i...74/4842329.htm
servo
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/i...80/8177208.htm
radio
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/i...89/8177233.htm
battery
3 cell lipo
BEC
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/i...75/5647989.htm

Last edited by tuner; 12-09-2010 at 02:12 AM.
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

would a
Traxxas Summit 2.4Ghz Radio Set (4-Channel, RX & TX) work for the remote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I would same your money and invest in sone good servos $100 bucks each for something that will actually move the big tires. Aluminum knuckles and tubes and locked diffs fr and rear. you could fab some 1/4 servo mounts and us e1/4 servos, quite a bit cheaper. do you plan on going 1 or 2 esc? I like the dual with the stick. If you keep an eye out in the 4 sale section there are some great deals you can come across.

Good Luck
Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

2 esc i hope
but my clod hase something that makes it do the same thing as haveing two esc but dose not have 4 wheel steering dose any one know what this is called have not seen it, picking it up i a week or two and wont to know what he did (it was my uncle clod but he gave it to me)

Last edited by corvair wally; 12-11-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I think your talking about dig. Keep an eye out for a set of super tires in the 4 sale section, probably better than the rock loks and could be cheaper including rims.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:55 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

The most capable super tires are usually the ones people make. It sounds harder that what it really is. I just made my very first set of cut-n-shuts a few weeks ago, and they weren't too bad at all. You just have to use the right glue. And if you want them to be tall, you'll have to use a tall wheel. I used Panther meat grinders for the tires, and HPI blast wheels, and the blasts totally dwarf any "40-series" wheel out there.

The cut-n-shuts with blasts run about 7" tall. Not quite as tall as the rock locks, but the compound more than makes up for it, and I can still drive upside down lol.

As far as electronics go, driving a twin-stick super takes some getting used to. Once you get it down though it's pretty awesome. There's really nothing quite like being able to drive your front and rear axles seperately. The best speed controls I've found so far are the holmes hobbies br-xl's. Not bad at all for the price, and their hold-brake is simply phenomenal. Not to mention they'll handle any brushed motor, and they're programmable via computer. They seem to work well with the Novak 55's I'm running. Very smooth and predictable. The nice thing about running twin-stick and dual speed controls is that it pretty much makes dig obsolete. There are things you can do with stick radio that you never thought possible with 4 wheels. If you're running 2 servos, you will have to run an external BEC (battery eliminator circuit) or possibly 2. I won't go into how it works (because honestly I don't know how to explain it) but basically it allows your servos the juice they need to not suck. Don't skimp on the servos either. I know 403 oz. of torque sounds like overkill, but when you have the weight of your entire crawler resting on super-sticky 7"+ tires up against a rock, the extra torque owns.

Apologies for the long-winded post, but hopefully it helps some. If you need any more help, feel free to shoot me a pm.
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lud98r View Post
I would same your money and invest in sone good servos $100 bucks each for something that will actually move the big tires. Aluminum knuckles and tubes and locked diffs fr and rear. you could fab some 1/4 servo mounts and us e1/4 servos, quite a bit cheaper. do you plan on going 1 or 2 esc? I like the dual with the stick. If you keep an eye out in the 4 sale section there are some great deals you can come across.

Good Luck
What knuckles do you guys use? How are you guys getting more steering (other than getting thunder tech cvds)? I have aluminum knuckles, and it appears the only way I can get more steering is to shave down a part of the knuckle.

How much to shave is the question...tough balance between more steering and weakening the knuckle too much, unless there is another knuckle that I should use.

These are the shafts, knuckles, and wheel extenders I have
http://www.hobbyetc.com/item.cgi?par...#ilikepictures
http://www.hobbyetc.com/item.cgi?part_id=47403
http://www.hobbyetc.com/item.cgi?part_id=35493
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

You can shave down some on the cvds, there are some pics on here of guys who have done it.
Do you have ttr cvds?
If not try to find some, its well worth the investment.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I definitely agree on the TTR cvds. The problem is that those are quite rare nowadays.

edit:
I shortened the axle cups by 2mm like dezfan described. Then I ground the inside of the axle cups. With these two mods, I had to grind a bit more from the knuckles so they wouldnt hit the axle Cs. Now at max lock left or right, the dog pins are right on the edge of the cups. I really need them TTRs

Last edited by mtnhrdgr2; 01-27-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Well theres talk of maybe another run being done but well have to wait and see. I have an extra set but unfortunatly dont think I want to part with them. I think I'll be buying another set if they do another run.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

@ Corvair Wally

Didnt mean to hijack your thread, but the questions I asked I think would help you out too.

My 2 cents on the questions you were asking, based on a smaller budget:
- if you already have a traxxas 2.4ghz 4-channel, that is perfectly fine to use. when you get dual steering set-up, then you can use the 3-position switch to control the rear while you use the steering wheel for the front.
-i recommend the FXR esc. reliable and lots of programmability, you can control 2 motors, and it has lipo safety cut-offs
-servo wise, i agree with the post above about saving for a hitec 7950 or something similar. your servo needs to have power and strength because of the size and weight of the super tires, not to mention the weight of the entire rig
- 55t machine wound motors are fine, but you will be happier with 35t handwound motors
-1 castle bec
- since the cheaper TXs dont have end point adjustments, if you buy a Hitec brand digital servo, get a HPP-21 servo programmer to adjust the EPAs

i have one fxr for both motors, and one bec for both servos. front and rear steering is a must for me because in my opinion, the steering is terrible without the rear steer. i use the traxxas 2.4ghz 4channel and is good enough for me. I use the regular steering wheel for the front wheels, and the 3-position switch to control the rear steering.

i have dual 5955s and i do not think they are putting enough power for the size of the rig (mine weighs just under 11lbs). later i will upgrade to 7950s, but then again the bec is still at the stock 5.1 volts. i will reprogam it to 6.0volts and see how much better it is.

this is my first super, and i am having a blast with it. i'm sure you'll like yours a lot also. good luck.

Last edited by mtnhrdgr2; 01-27-2011 at 11:21 PM.