Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Starting from absolute scratch...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2004, 06:43 PM   #1

Default Starting from absolute scratch...

..because I just don't want to fool with buying a stock clod only to modify it. I've been reading post after post. Looks like the Novak Rooster is the popular ESC and the lathe motors (which I don't know what they are..what are those?) and so on. I am more than capable of building a frame. I would really appreciate some dimensions. Things like how big the ESC housing needs to be, general width of the frame, and so on. I figure wheel base and overall length is personal preferences. I would really appreciate your input on this. Whatever suggestions you may have on other parts would be dearly appreciated too.
Thanks,
Doug
79DUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
06 Super National Champ

Default Re: Starting from absolute scratch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79DUG
..because I just don't want to fool with buying a stock clod only to modify it. I've been reading post after post. Looks like the Novak Rooster is the popular ESC and the lathe motors (which I don't know what they are..what are those?) and so on. I am more than capable of building a frame. I would really appreciate so dimensions. Things like how big the ESC housing needs to be, general width of the frame, and so on. I figure wheel base and overall length is personal preferences. I would really appreciate your input on this. Whatever suggestions you may have on other parts would be dearly appreciated too.
Thanks,
Doug
Super Rooster.

Lathe motors are made by Integy, they're 55 turn motors. Those and some 9 tooth Robinson pinions work pretty decent on Clods.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I dont really understand why you pay the exta $30 for a Super Rooster on lathe motors? I mean you have two 55 turn motors so your ESC only has to be able tohandle a 22.5 turn motor (Rooster will do 15 easy), most people use a reciever pack AND the last time I check the rooster and super rooster are the same in terms of programming

BTW the measurement on the frame I have here are 4 1/4" tall, 2 1/2" wide and the length is really dependent on where you measure because of the battery being on the skid. The demensions arn't really important though, it's more of putting everything as low as possible.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 12:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark
I dont really understand why you pay the exta $30 for a Super Rooster on lathe motors? I mean you have two 55 turn motors so your ESC only has to be able tohandle a 22.5 turn motor (Rooster will do 15 easy), most people use a reciever pack AND the last time I check the rooster and super rooster are the same in terms of programming

BTW the measurement on the frame I have here are 4 1/4" tall, 2 1/2" wide and the length is really dependent on where you measure because of the battery being on the skid. The demensions arn't really important though, it's more of putting everything as low as possible.
Because of the BEC being twice as high. Dug, the BEC is what gives power to the servo's, so a super rooster will handle big gnarly servo's with no problem.

I try to do my frames about the width of a battery, ESCs are generally 1.5"~ square. They need lots of vetilation to keep cool, cause they get very warm.
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote