RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Clod Buster (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/)
-   -   What is a good ESC for my new CLOD (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/296560-what-good-esc-my-new-clod.html)

4X42HEL 01-31-2011 10:43 AM

What is a good ESC for my new CLOD

Hi,
Just ordered a CLOD, hope to have it arrive sometime this week. I had a clod back in the day, not sure what the deal is but it seems like there really isn't any good option/selection for an ESC.

This is basically what I want, I want to run some 20 turn (give or take) motors with a LiPo system. The motors can be brushed.

I know the super rooster used to be the one to get back in the day, but what is it today? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mtnhrdgr2 01-31-2011 11:24 AM

i personally prefer the tekin fxr or a holmes hobbies br-xl

4X42HEL 01-31-2011 11:30 AM

I have a TEKIN FX-R on my Honcho right now.

I have no complaints at all. BUT, I'm running the TEkin 35T motor and a 7.4v LiPo which is light compared to what I want to run in my clod.

I dont want another crawler. I dont mind if it ALSO crawls, the purpose to have nough speed to play around and mess around with and do ramps and wheelies and such.

Can an FX-R handle two 20'ish (19~21) turn motors? I'm not sure...

Then, it says it can handle only a 3 cell lipo with 35Turn motor or greater.... so that will limit me to the battery I can run. I'd like to put an 11.1 volt LiPo to help with the speed....

mtnhrdgr2 01-31-2011 11:46 AM

i have a fxr on my clod super using 3S lipo with two holmes hobbies 35T handwounds. i am also using a ccbec to power the two servos. everything is good.

Per Tekin's specs, the FXR can handle down to 13T motors if you use a battery less than 3S lipo (11.1volts). If you use a 3S lipo, then 35T motor or higher is what is compatible. As far as real world experience, I have only used the FXR on a 35T brushed motor on 3S lipo with no issues. I have also used it with a HH 7T and 10T Cobalt Puller motor on 3S with no issues.

edit:
The br-xl will be able to handle your two 20'ish motor limits on pretty much your choice battery. The only thing with the br-xl is the footprint of the esc. It is much bigger than the FXR. I am planning on using the waterproofed version of the br-xl only my SCX-10 build.

mtnhrdgr2 01-31-2011 12:02 PM

i just reread your last post...you can also increase the pinion teeth. I'm not sure how fast you are thinking of going, but go with something like a 22T pinion. You'll lose low end torque but you'll gain wheel speed.

4X42HEL 01-31-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnhrdgr2 (Post 2897255)
i just reread your last post...you can also increase the pinion teeth. I'm not sure how fast you are thinking of going, but go with something like a 22T pinion. You'll lose low end torque but you'll gain wheel speed.

With what motors are you thinking about?

mtnhrdgr2 01-31-2011 12:42 PM

With the 22T pinion suggestion, I was referring to you using 35T brushed motors so you can use the fxr with the 3S lipo. That should give pretty good wheel speed.

However, if you want faster, then a lower turn motor plus a high tooth pinion and 3S or even higher (like 4S lipo) maybe what you will be happier with. If this is the route you want, then I would suggest the br-xl.

4X42HEL 01-31-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnhrdgr2 (Post 2897337)
With the 22T pinion suggestion, I was referring to you using 35T brushed motors so you can use the fxr with the 3S lipo. That should give pretty good wheel speed.

However, if you want faster, then a lower turn motor plus a high tooth pinion and 3S or even higher (like 4S lipo) maybe what you will be happier with. If this is the route you want, then I would suggest the br-xl.

Good stuff... I had no idea about the br-xl... i'm researching it now, looks good, now I need to think of some good motors for it.

mtnhrdgr2 01-31-2011 01:08 PM

That is a whole different thread! There a few good name motors out there. Do a search around the electronics section. If you are going brushed, make sure to get handwound motors (as opposed to machine wound). Hand wounds are more expensive but have more power.