Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: My homebuilt clod build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My homebuilt clod build

Here is the new clod I am building. Building it to 2.2 comp specs. I don't know if I am going to comp it, but want to be able to. Torsion style chassis, GP gear reductions, behind the axle steering, locked diffs... all the normal stuff. This is just the start, did some more work today and will hopefully get some more pics up later.

TurboShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Here are some more pics

Locked the front diff, rear is already locked

Cleaned up the chassis, still trying to decide wheather or not to drill holes in it. Probaly gonna run it first, if I am not happy I will drill it then.

My severly narrowed pede front wheels. They are as close to full reverse offset as I think I am going to get. Turned out great, ended up 1" wide and gave me a 11 1/4" track width.

Here is one of the gear reductions units I am using. Normal GP unit. But I first used these in 2002 ;)
Old 05-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have the truck a roller! Getting closer, need to build another plate to hold the 2nd batt pack, add some weight, and wire it up!

Sorry for the crappy pics, my flash isnt working for some reason :(
Old 05-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Default Nice!!

Looks awesome!!!
gac1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Gord. Hope fully I will have it up and running this week sometime. Just have to decide on where to put my batts. Im really leaning towards a 50/50 or 60/40 weight balance.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Drove it today! Decided on a batt layout, and wired it all up. Ive never had a 2.2 crawler and I am VERY impressed with just the random stuff I found to crawl in the yard. Steering needs some work, but all in all it ran good. Still almost to fast for me though. Might need to get some lower pinions and drop the gear reductions down some more. Anyways here are the pics, let me know what you think!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Took it out today... Did not work near as well as I hoped. Chassis doesn't have much travel, and not enough weight on the front end. In fact, not enough weight on the truck at all. Gonna head back out to the shop and add a ton of weight, and then hit it again. If the weight doesnt fix the issues, Im gonna start drilling some holes.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Added about 2lbs of weight in the past couple days. Also drilled the backbone. I have been twisting the chassis too, to get it to break in. All of it seems to have helped alot. Had about 4" of travel before, now I have 6-7" and I am sure I will have more the more I drive it. I am going to be in dire need of a real servo now. A buddy of mine just bought one of those cheap high TQ hobbypartz servos, if it works out good for him I am going to pick one up.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Got a body mounted!

And it looks like crap! But, a buddy gave it to me, and now it has something protecting the electronics. Added a BUNCH of weight. Probaly a 1/2 pound per axle. Two wraps of 1/4 lead around the wheels, and I filled the hubs with lead. Suspension seems to be working much better, but haven't had it out yet.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

WOW.. It's like looking at a Thread of 2005 again... Cool...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Lol, I know the chassis design is dated, but I drove one of jeeper_05's years ago and really liked it. So simple, but yet worked so good and had so many advantages. If I cant get this to work I will probably end up with a 4-linked truck but I really want to give this a try. I am hoping to get something better then a clod based truck down the road, but right now I have to work with what I have.