Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Clodbuster Crawler Noob questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Clodbuster Crawler Noob questions

Kind of noob to RC crawling but I plan on diving in head first when I get back home from my current deployment. My main plans are to build either an AX-10 or XR-10 to comp and for some reason I got bit by the Closbuster bug. I guess probably I remeber I always wanted one before and never had one. I will be home soon so I ebayed some Clods while waiting to leave. My plans are to build an old school Clod with some upgrades and another Clod as a Super class crawler. The stuff I picked up is mostly parts/clod lots but there is what I believe is an old Sassy Chassis in one lot and another has a Clodzilla II Chassis. I probably have enough to build 2 clods but will probably sell some of this off. What I was wondering is is the Sassy chassis right for kind of an old school build? Are they common or no? Building an old school one won't be too difficult just wondering what are some good upgrades for that type of build. I already have some locked clod axles so was thinking of building a clod based super class but really no idea where to start as I have not done one from scratch before. An opinions on good current chassis that will work with clod axles? I see a whole lot for the ax-10 and xr-10 but not too sure on the differences. Any suggestions would be helpful. On another note I know about "search" and have used it but just looking for ideas. Thanks
rangerhavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

The CPE Claw chassis look pretty nice. I haven't used it myself. There are alot of people that make custom chassis, but I think that take some crawling experience.

I would find a simple chassis like the Claw with the stock axles, motors and electronics and then slowly upgrade. Wheel adapters, with wheels and tires. Then servos. Then ESC and Motors with pinions and ajustable motor mounts. Then start fixing what you break with the new motors.

Thats how I've been doing it.
prioret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I myself built a clod in 2003 back before all of these ready to run trucks came out. This is the chassis that I run. Have alumn side plates as well as carbon fiber which I currently run. Axles are still completely bone stock. Just need a set of shocks for this 4-link kit. I went with this one due to I wanted much scale look without having to cut off half of my body off.

http://www.thecrawlerstore.com/nn.html

Get good quality electronics your first time around as well. Buy the cheap stuff and you will be wrenching more than crawling. And I would get adjustable motor mounts which you can get for cheap. I run 60T motors, on a 2cell lipo pack. Look into metal gear servos as well.

I was running a Novak Super Duty Rooster until just the other day it quit on me. Its been added to the discontinued list. Have you looked into the Novak M2 speed controller? You can control each axle independently dig is built into the ESC. I myself am looking to get one of these.

I myself find myself wanting to build up my own Axial. But I just like the big rigs my self and stick with the clods.
Rok Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #4

Default the m2

I have the m2 and i like it. im using 55 turn motors with it. but i like how much settings there are for it. i am new to this also but i always spend good money on electronics.
Jeckel4438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

I love it when newbies help other newbies(in terms of # of posts).I'm a newbie to the site but not to rc. If I were you, I would start out with two good, cheap esc's like the castle creations sidewinder, a pair of 45 of 55 turn motors, either a 2 cell or 3 cell lipo, and some 1/4 scale servos from www.jpcustomrcs.com/home.html, and as for the chassis, you could go with the pimp cane from jp customs. I have found that it is very affordable, but that's your choice.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote