Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: How To: Nylint wheels on STOCK Clod axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default How To: Nylint wheels on STOCK Clod axles

wrote up allite how to i thought id share. i wanted to put 1:6 nylint wheels on 100% stock clod axles, no longer stub shafts, no cutting the hub surround. NOTHING. there are other ways of mounting them, but this is how to do it and not touch your axles at all. heres what i came up with..

first off youll need the nylint wheels of course and the adaptors in this bag... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGB72&P=Z
youll need the second one from the left.. it comes with all 4, and some other great spare parts....

THE PROBLEM:
not enough threads to get a washer or even just a nut on...

again i wanted a way to mount them WITHOUT modifying the axles or housing at all.

heres what i did:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

STEP 1:
slide adaptor and wheel on, draw circle around hub surround onto back side of wheel.

STEP 2:
disassemble wheel and cut out circle from wheel backing, i used a rotozip bit in my dremel.

STEP 3:
Grind or cut off SHORT side of adaptor (makes it easier to get them all the same) i cut it off with a hack saw then ground down the remaining until perfectly smooth.

STEP 4:
slide shortened adaptor into outer chrome wheel half.

next using the adaptor as a guide grind down center hub of wheel until flush.

STEP 5:
assemble wheel and install with washer and lock nut...

and there ya go nylint wheels on a stock clod axle...

now get out there and enjoy your $5 dollar beadlocks with more axle clearance than most tires on the market ;)
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

nice, cheapest way to get the scale look
Techball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:17 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice write up and looks great.
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Good job, now you need to marinade those tires to soften them up a little.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Which motors would be good to turn those heavy nylint tires? I was planning on lathe 55t motors with 8t pinions but wanted to make sure it'll handle the nylint shoes before ordering.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

nice work, thats really cool.
Crawler Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I am doing this mod for my 1:6 RubiClod buildup but i'm a little worried about the slight opening at the hubs. We have to cut a large hole for the clod hubs to fit through and i'm thinking water/mud is gonna fill up in the tire from that. The extra weight may help but once those tires get 1/2 full, they can get quite heavy. I may have to drill a hole or two between the tread blocks for it to drain. I could avoid mud alltogether.......well...no i can't.......
Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #8

I did something simmilar to this but i wanted to still be able to use the wheels on the nylint so what i did was i took the stock clod adapters (the plastic part)and clamped it to the grey part of the nylint wheel and drilled out the 5 holes and bolted the 2 parts togather with 5 bolts then using the stock clod axl nut with a washer i bolted the (inner rim and adapter)to the clod axle then i put the tire and outer rim on with the 4 screws that hold the 2 halves of the nylint rim togather and you have a clean install no butchering and a set of wheels that can go on a clod or a nylint.
ZUKRUE(achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKRUE(achilles View Post
I did something simmilar to this but i wanted to still be able to use the wheels on the nylint so what i did was i took the stock clod adapters (the plastic part)and clamped it to the grey part of the nylint wheel and drilled out the 5 holes and bolted the 2 parts togather with 5 bolts then using the stock clod axl nut with a washer i bolted the (inner rim and adapter)to the clod axle then i put the tire and outer rim on with the 4 screws that hold the 2 halves of the nylint rim togather and you have a clean install no butchering and a set of wheels that can go on a clod or a nylint.

pictures!!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKRUE(achilles View Post

I did the same, i needed to ream out the outer hole a little to get to the nut on the stub shaft.. To run on the nylint agian all you do is put a washer that fits over the bigger hole.. All the screw does is keep the wheel from falling off.

here is what mine looks like...
donnie316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #11

hey, is that your stock clod hex or it's he nylint's hex? if it is clod's hex then mine clod's hex looks totally different.
iphong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:41 AM   #12

sorry, my bad. didn't read the thread carefully.
iphong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:26 AM   #13

Good call donnie i would have reamed the hole but i wanted the rims to go on the nylint with no mods so i left the hole stock and just put the inner 1/2 of the rim on the axl first and screwed the tire and outer1/2 on after . NICE WHEEL WEIGHTS are those for a 1:1 rim?
ZUKRUE(achilles is offline   Reply With Quote