Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: clod mud monster advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #1

Default clod mud monster advice?

mkay heres my plan get a clod roller chass with no electrics put on all traxxas electrics cause there waterproof & my local shops stock a ton of traxxas stuff, i want it to be a lil bit faster than stock so i was thinkin 20 turn stingers, 1st idk if they'll work since one has to be reversed if they have 0 timing it'll b ok just swich the wires, ne1 know if it can be done on this motor? 2nd i was gonna use the water proof esc from a summit, r they ne good? 3rd was gonna use traxxas water proof servos, do they have enough torque to turn clod tires? ,, basicaly all i wanna do is play in the snow, mud, rocks, tall grass, neighbors pool & chase there cat, so what yall think? found the tires i'm gonna use http://store.rc4wd.com/Mud-Slingers-...air_p_742.html

Last edited by dr.chris; 12-10-2011 at 01:28 AM.
dr.chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

pretty sure the ESC has no drag brakes and the 2075 servo just plain sucks, plasic gears and not to strong, maybe 120oz of tourque. not good for clod tires. get a better sevo and waterproof it yourself.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I agree with crawlhog on the servo, spend a bit of money on your servo. More torque, more better. You can use stingers the way your thinking, but they wont be big power monsters. I would use a good 55x1 motor, something with some torque. You'll be much happier with it in the mud. Its a huge tire on a heavy truck, combine that with heavy mud, you get the point. An evx-2 esc will do a good job for ya, its designed for a heavy truck.
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #4

Default Re: clod mud monster advice?

thanks for the advice , how much torque should i look for in a servo 200oz,250oz,300oz350oz?? I'll probably run a servo on each axle so each one will only be turning 2 tires plus i don't do much rock crawling so tires getting wedged in between rocks probably wont be an issue... also does anyone know a good way to make the tires hold air i saw a set with automotive valve stems but they looked ridiculous i was thinkin football type valve thingies glued to the inside of the rim any one ever try air valves from a ball? i figure by using air instead of foam I'll be able to save some weight & adjust the pressure depending on what I'm runnin in, probably gonna use a lexan body to save some weight to (40's or 50's pickup truck), what yall think?

Last edited by dr.chris; 12-15-2011 at 12:39 PM.
dr.chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I would use a servo with as much torque as you can afford. The rolling mass of even 2 tires is around 8 times more than a 2.2 tire. You will wish you had if you use something sissy. Clods arent known for their steering anyway, so the more you can gain, the better it will perform. As to the air valve question. I've use a valve similar to the stem type, only much smaller. Its called a schrader vavle. You can get tham in many different sizes at a hydraulics shop. They are fairly cheap around here. Clean your tires bead and seal the vents in the wheels around the bead. You can drill out the main vent for the valve. Install the valve and seal it good. Then glue the tires on like crazy, make sure they seal up well. Aired tires will make it a very bouncy truck. I've been racing clods for 20 years and have tried a bunch of different combos of air pressure, foams, styrofaom beads and many other things. I've had the best luck with foams. Clod tires are kinda flimsy anyway, they need the support and they kill alot of the bounce. For a mud truck, I would use a set of B&H tires or a set of rumbles. You can get either from Brett at cpe or at rc4wd. They are a cut style tire, more bite and less weight. You can always whip out the ol xacto knife and cut a set of stock clod tires the same way, but bring a lunch, thats alot of rubber to cut. Feel free to pm me, I'd be happy to answer any questions.
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Definetly put good servos in !Anything with more than 15kgs isn't really necessary in a go fast monster unless you plan on being in a bind !!Stay away from crawler motors you'll want more speed!,and 3s is definetly the way to go!,and unlock those diffs to help with go fast handling !!
im2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #7

Dr Chris, glad to see someone is thinkin in the same direction as I am. I purchase a Exceed Maxstone 8 and have had a blast with it but am ready to break stuff and buy new parts. Very disappointed on what its been like to get a few certain parts for this truck so I recently have ordered Super clod axles for it to replace the stockers. Not really an upgrade more of a sidestep, but as I break stuff, upgrades are readily available, unlike for the original axles. Servos, Ive been using a metal gear Savox with a little over 200 oz in of tourque, best advice given to you already....MO IS MO BETTA, in the torque dept. Spend every penny you can afford to on your servo(s). Someone suggested using an EVX2 controller, go for it Im running 12 cells (14.4volts) on a pair of 27 turn "stock" armatures in modified motor cans... Not sure its the best but the truck is scootin pretty good. I love the direction you wanna go with this, feel free to bounce ideas off me if you wish, I have plenty more to share if your interested...
Chrishercules1 is offline   Reply With Quote