RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Clod Buster (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/)
-   -   Project GoGo Gadget (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/36684-project-gogo-gadget.html)

rcracer 06-27-2006 08:16 PM

Project GoGo Gadget (short vid added)

4 Attachment(s)
Here is one of my projects. I have it mocket up and only tac-welded. I wanted a clod that could vary the wheelbase at a switch. the downside is my idea requires an additional esc. I bought a small mtroniks esc which should work nicely on the motor to drive the chain. the idea is to spin the threaded rod, as it turns it can shorten or lengthen the wheelbase. works really good when I tested it out.

thanks for looking guys.

short vid added
http://home.comcast.net/~rcracer_2/v...0629225534.avi

rcracer 06-27-2006 08:23 PM

I think the front sprocket should dodge any rock(I hope). I was thinking of putting a jeep or truck body and attach it to the front portion so the front wheels are always under the wells.

any added thoughts are appriciated and sorry it looks poor, I need to really work on my welding

HannibalLecter 06-27-2006 08:32 PM

Geeezzz Marty, it just might work! :lol:

What I need you to figure out is how to put one of DeWalt's new 32v hammerdrills on the front of mine and run it off of a waterlogged EVX! ;-)

Keep it up, I'd love to see some video of this one for sure! :lol:

Robb 06-27-2006 08:48 PM

Might want to look into a Clod with some tires that can actually perform.:flipoff:

Seriously though, the concept of the variable wb is pure genious!!!!!:shock: Picking "the perfect wb" is always an impossible task since the terrain is continuously changing, and if you can make your rig work, you solved a problem that is decades old in the 4x4 community. VERY NICE WORK!!!!!!!

dezfan 06-27-2006 09:01 PM

Pretty nifty Swifty, cant wait to see it on the rocks.:twisted:

rcracer 06-27-2006 09:01 PM

thanks guys, I agree, those tires suck so I'll prolly go with moab xl once the prototype is done.

so far it can adjust from 12-18 inches of wheelbase using a TQ3 and the added esc.

I'll get vids up as soon as the esc comes in.

Unholy 06-27-2006 09:03 PM

Cool concept!

How fast does it adjust with the relatively fine threads?

dezfan 06-27-2006 09:05 PM

Need a 4 channel so you have re-steer. Very inventive.:lol:

rcracer 06-27-2006 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unholy
Cool concept!

How fast does it adjust with the relatively fine threads?

It adjusts alittle too fast as is, I also tried a servo but it was too slow and weak when adjusting on an incline.

I'm going to install a potentiometer in the 3rd channel so the speed will be variable.

I agree with the 4 channel radio idea.

rcracer 06-27-2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HannibalLecter
Geeezzz Marty, it just might work! :lol:

What I need you to figure out is how to put one of DeWalt's new 32v hammerdrills on the front of mine and run it off of a waterlogged EVX! ;-)

Keep it up, I'd love to see some video of this one for sure! :lol:

hahahaha, one problem at a time, I'm still baffled with this project just looking at it.....and I built it. :)

RodyRazorBackc5 06-27-2006 09:18 PM

This is a very UNIUQE idea . As I was looking at your mocked up version I was wondering, as the "chassis" reduces it wheelbase where does the rod go that actually has the axle moved to the disired wheelbase. I guess what i'm asking is as it shortens its wheelbase does the rod hang out in front of the rest of the chassis. Can you post a pic of it down to its smallest wheelbase?

dezfan 06-27-2006 09:22 PM

Looks to me like the front portion of the chassis slides into the rear of the chassis as it shrinks.

rcracer 06-27-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodyRazorBackc5
This is a very UNIUQE idea . As I was looking at your mocked up version I was wondering, as the "chassis" reduces it wheelbase where does the rod go that actually has the axle moved to the disired wheelbase. I guess what i'm asking is as it shortens its wheelbase does the rod hang out in front of the rest of the chassis. Can you post a pic of it down to its smallest wheelbase?

I'll take some pics tonight, as it shortens, the threaded rod goes inside the metal tube.

EeePee 06-27-2006 09:27 PM

You guys have forgotten about Ace's adjustable wheelbase truck.

I do like it!

clod booster 06-27-2006 09:30 PM

sweet, if you could figure out how to use a bigger threaded shaft as the center rod for an adjustable wheel base stick youd be f***ing rich!:shock:8)

rcracer 06-27-2006 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clod booster
sweet, if you could figure out how to use a bigger threaded shaft as the center rod for an adjustable wheel base stick youd be f***ing rich!:shock:8)

that is 3/8 rod so it's about the same size as the stick, what I like best about Kevins design is how Effective, Efficient, Simple. He truely has brought the Crawling world to a new level.

rcracer 06-27-2006 09:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RodyRazorBackc5

Here are some pics with it shortened.

clod booster 06-27-2006 09:37 PM

kevin, i thought it was yours?:?: but i mean take out the slider and make a system where the threaded shaft is the stick back bone.

rcracer 06-27-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clod booster
kevin, i thought it was yours?:?: but i mean take out the slider and make a system where the threaded shaft is the stick back bone.

It is mine, I was just stating that Kevin (the stick designer) has really brought us to a new level.

If you applied this as you say, there would be a long threaded end hanging out the back when it is shortened. Not saying there isn't a way to do, I just haven't thought of one, this is the best I could do I hate to say. thanks for the suggestion :)

clod booster 06-27-2006 09:48 PM

you could have it inside another shaft, the thread shaft in the middle then it could telescope out of both ends. duh.