RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Clod Buster (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/)
-   -   The 2.2 Cruiser (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/36922-2-2-cruiser.html)

cartronicshn 08-02-2006 06:54 AM

Nice work8) , i love the toyo body, might have to get one, on the LST's how do you rate them against the moab xl on slippery rock and jagged rock?

bRIBEGuy 11-14-2007 09:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
THIS THREAD..............BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.........well, it has been over a year since I've posted in this thread, and since then I've been doing a great job of driving the hell out of this truck. The 2.2 clod turned out to be WAY more fun to drive then i ever expected, and also far more capable then I thought. Over the past year it has seen dirt, rock, water, mud, and snow, and taken them all in stride. It's lived through constant abuse from myself, my girlfriend, and numerous friends who've taken the wheel.

And up untill very recently, there has never once been an issue.

And then it happened..............the chassis bent.

:(

Now I have to admit, I am surprised it took this long, considering how thin the chassis plates were to start with, and how much we've abused this truck. That being said, it sucks none the less.

So for a moment of memory, here are couple of pics on the rocks....................

bRIBEGuy 11-14-2007 09:14 PM

And now the good news.......................

I have a brand spankin' new K2-3L chassis in the mail, along with a few other goodies to give this clod a rebuild/make-over and a second shot at life.

:)

Stay tuned..............rebuild thread additions to come..............................

don_ricardocarl 11-15-2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bRIBEGuy (Post 922484)
THIS THREAD..............BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.........well, it has been over a year since I've posted in this thread, and since then I've been doing a great job of driving the hell out of this truck. The 2.2 clod turned out to be WAY more fun to drive then i ever expected, and also far more capable then I thought. Over the past year it has seen dirt, rock, water, mud, and snow, and taken them all in stride. It's lived through constant abuse from myself, my girlfriend, and numerous friends who've taken the wheel.

And up untill very recently, there has never once been an issue.

And then it happened..............the chassis bent.

:(

Now I have to admit, I am surprised it took this long, considering how thin the chassis plates were to start with, and how much we've abused this truck. That being said, it sucks none the less.

So for a moment of memory, here are couple of pics on the rocks....................

the last picture looks very nice! great driving action!

bRIBEGuy 12-16-2007 02:18 PM

Alrighty.................

Well my K2-3L chassis showed up quite some time ago, and I finally managed to get some free time today to start working on getting this rig going again. :)

I cut about 1/2" off the front of the chassis so it would squeeze into the Landcruiser shell, and I'm making up a custom skid plate out of some black delrin.

Pics and more posts to follow latter today!

bRIBEGuy 12-16-2007 06:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The K2-3L chassis, and the new skid plate.......................

bRIBEGuy 12-16-2007 06:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New chassis means new links.

Out comes the 6/32 all-thread and 1/4" aluminum. :)

Lower shock mounts are carried over from the trucks previous version.................

bRIBEGuy 12-16-2007 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And of course, the chassis mock up.

bRIBEGuy 12-16-2007 06:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Axles, shocks, wheels and tires give us a quick rolling mock-up.

The shocks are standard maxx dampers, with internal springs, 100wt oil, and short firm green springs from some duratrax shocks. The Lower spring perch is also from duratrax. The truck is being set up for a 80% droop, 20% conventional suspension set-up.

Rims are now RPM's new narrow 2.2 crawler wheels, and tires are currently RC4WD Rock Stompers.

bRIBEGuy 12-16-2007 06:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Original Toyota Landcruiser body mounted up.

bRIBEGuy 12-16-2007 06:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And of course, the mandatory articulation shots.

;)

Flex isn't uber-huge, but since this will spend alot of it's time as more of a trail/trials basher then as a hardcore crawler, it should be fine.

bRIBEGuy 12-16-2007 08:12 PM

Some specs to go with the pics:

Wheelbase is now at 13.5". Overall width is 12 1/8". Ground clearance (center) is 4 1/8".

Too bad snow and cold doesn't make for the best crawling...................

topdawg 12-16-2007 09:03 PM

rig looks as good as new , nice looks killer with the stompers.

JakeSpeed 12-17-2007 03:45 AM

Mean looking rig Dude. Its good to see some Canadians with fab skills too.
Cheers

bRIBEGuy 12-17-2007 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I had a chance to do a bit more work tonight. Got the electronics installed and working. Hitec 645MG's are still on duty for steering, but I've yanked out the Super Rooster and dropped in a Moped V16R instead.

Focused on the wheels tonight and made some mods.

Started with the new RPM 2.2" narrow crawler rims.

bRIBEGuy 12-17-2007 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Then I added 3.75oz of lead to each of the front rims and drilled 2 1/8" breather holes.

bRIBEGuy 12-17-2007 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And digging into the model supplies yielded a little silver paint. Voila, instant faux 30-hole beadlocks!

Turned out pretty decent IMO.

bRIBEGuy 12-17-2007 09:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Next up was the tires.

Started off by trimming between 1/16" & 1/8" off of the tire bead so it would be narrow enough to sit in the rim channels.

Then I focused on the foams. Started with a standard "Star" cut, and then notched out the center of each "point". The RC4WD tires are quite stiff, so I'm looking for all the tire flex I can get.

balang_479 12-19-2007 12:59 PM

The rock stompers look awesome on it... really nice FJ

Grizzly4x4 12-19-2007 04:39 PM

Glad to hear this thing was working out so good for you bribe. I think 2.2 Clods are the ultimate bashers and this one looks great too. The Wild Oats Clone I made for my friend is still going strong and getting the hell beat out of it too. "thumbsup"

I'm still trying to get used to the skinny tire look of the Rockstompers on the Clod axle, but it's growing on me. The new wheels look great and the chassis should rock.

Great rig! "thumbsup"