Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Clodiator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Clodiator

Here goes build #2.......

After completing the first build (JK Rubiclod) i decided to go another round with a different 1:6 body. I had a Jeep Gladiator truck body laying around and starting mocking up a frame for it but wanted to see what you guys thought about the choice of tire.

Too small or ok? The tires seem a little on the small side due to the huge wheelbase of this rig.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

They look perfect for a scale build to me. They aren't replicating 42" tires, but they look right for some aggressive stock meats.
AMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

They do seem to be on small side, like you metioned the wb is the determining factor here.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I wish someone made a 6" tire. They seem to stop at 5.5 for whatever reasons. Hey RC4WD, if you happen to read this, start rounding off!
Old 12-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The tires do seem a tad small. What aout All-t's?

Or maybe some Narrowed Imex clod-size tires?
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavelinSST390 View Post
The tires do seem a tad small. What aout All-t's?

Or maybe some Narrowed Imex clod-size tires?
You can see the all-t holding the body up (front). It's the same height as the new tires there but wider. It does look a little better due to it's width but those all-t's are for the JK behind it. I tried the stompers on the jk but the jk's fender flares are alot wider than the gladiator and make the tires look even smaller.

I have 6.5" claws from the nylint but those suck and also a set of narrowed MGT's that are nearly 7" tall but those are toooo big.

I guess i'll build around the stompers for now and see how it turns out when i'm done. I might lower the body 1/2" more than what's shown so the tires appear a little bigger. I might make this a tow-rig for the JK with a REAL hitch.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
RCC Addict

or.......i could cut the extended cab off and shorten the wheelbase
Old 12-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
or.......i could cut the extended cab off and shorten the wheelbase
That would look killer, also less likely to get hung up
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

they look perfect to me, for a scale rig anyway.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
they look perfect to me, for a scale rig anyway.

"300" fan? I like your avatar

Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Man I love that body. I bought the same exact truck from walmart and broke it in its first outing. I decided to build it into a scale looking prerunner. I put a stampede front end under it, modded to accept the stock wheels and axle. And on the rear end, I opened up the gearbox, removed the stock like 270 size motor, and modded the motor plate to fit a 17T 540. I put oil shocks all around, locked the axle, blah blah. I will try to take some pics and post it in the scale forum. I used traxxas talon tires that are 5.75" I believe, and it looks really good in my opinion. I think the tires in the pic will look fine. a 6" tire would probably be ideal, but those are pretty awesome looking. Also, don't cut the body, it looks so nice as an extended cab!

Anyways, I love the look of that truck, and if it turns out anything like the JK, then we are all in for a treat.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Somehow I missed the idea of making it a tow rig. I think that is a great idea. I would lower the body like 1/2" to 1" like you said and go that route, set it up as a trail/tow rig!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Man I love that body. I bought the same exact truck from walmart and broke it in its first outing. I decided to build it into a scale looking prerunner. I put a stampede front end under it, modded to accept the stock wheels and axle. And on the rear end, I opened up the gearbox, removed the stock like 270 size motor, and modded the motor plate to fit a 17T 540. I put oil shocks all around, locked the axle, blah blah. I will try to take some pics and post it in the scale forum. I used traxxas talon tires that are 5.75" I believe, and it looks really good in my opinion. I think the tires in the pic will look fine. a 6" tire would probably be ideal, but those are pretty awesome looking. Also, don't cut the body, it looks so nice as an extended cab!

Anyways, I love the look of that truck, and if it turns out anything like the JK, then we are all in for a treat.
You will be ;). This one will be more time consuming and detailed better (steering box on frame, leaf springs (hopeful), coils and shocks seperate, trackbar, etc...but with clod axles but that's not so bad

I'm still debating on which motor/pinion setup to run. I'm probably gonna use the evx again and dual batteries. I want this rig to be able to crawl but still have plenty of wheelspeed to kick up some mud. The jk is 55t/10t and crawls great but not enough wheel speed to kick up any dirt. The only way i get the body dirty on that is by crawling behind my buddy's WK, which splashes me well
Old 12-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Maybe a set of 27 turn motors then? That would be pretty sweet! With dual ESC's or the EVX you could run 2 7 cell NIMH for some pretty sweet wheel speed!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:04 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Maybe a set of 27 turn motors then? That would be pretty sweet! With dual ESC's or the EVX you could run 2 7 cell NIMH for some pretty sweet wheel speed!
Do the 27t motors use bigger cans? I need the motor to be teh same size as my old integy 55t's due to upper arm clearances.

It's definately gonna get the evx out of my Rubiclod and some new dual 3600mah batteries. Now if i can just find some time to start on the frame.......
Old 12-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Got a little done today. Mocked up a frame with two temp crossmembers. Stuck on some red springs i had laying around and also bent up some axle tube supports that share the duty as lower coil spring mount. It's 1/2" steel that's a PITA to bend. I have to cut it at the top and bolt it on. The coil springs mount on the flat surface above the tube.

I think these springs are from a tmaxx or emaxx and i'm hoping they aren't too stiff to cause bouncing. I have some thick 1/2" steel that's got some weight to it and i am using those as crossmembers to add weight until i get to about 20 lbs (total vehicle weight) evenly distributed.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Rear coil springs on.

Right now it's at 3.3 lbs.
17 more lbs to go and it should be about 1/2-3/4" lower.

Last edited by muddeprived; 02-07-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:33 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Wow, very awesome. Are you going to run some springless shocks for the dampening duties? I really like the coil idea, nice and scale looking. Also, the 27 turn motors shouldn't be any bigger, but I think a lot of websites list the dimesions. But, for what its worth, I have two seperate brands 17 turn motors, and a set of 65 turn Axioms, and they are all the same size.

Oh, and what are you going to do on the front? If you go for the same setup, are you going to make up a drag link attached to a pitman (servo) arm?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:13 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Wow, very awesome. Are you going to run some springless shocks for the dampening duties? I really like the coil idea, nice and scale looking. Also, the 27 turn motors shouldn't be any bigger, but I think a lot of websites list the dimesions. But, for what its worth, I have two seperate brands 17 turn motors, and a set of 65 turn Axioms, and they are all the same size.

Oh, and what are you going to do on the front? If you go for the same setup, are you going to make up a drag link attached to a pitman (servo) arm?
I plan to run a set of shocks in the rear (alone) depending on the height. I have t-maxx and savage shocks laying around so whatever the final height is will determine which shock to use. I'm gonna angle the shocks like they are on wranglers.

As for the front, i haven't gotten around to planning it. My goal is to do the same as the rear but that plans lookin slim. There's very little space between the center of the front fender and grill for a steering box. I thought of running it vertical on the front of the axle but that becomes a "bumper" and doesn't look right. If i can't copy the rear then i'll do coil-over in front.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Default Motor tech question

Help me out with this motor decision:

As stated before, i want some wheel speed to sling mud and maybe launch it a couple inches (just a couple!!!) but still have some slow speed for technical spots. I'm not too familiar with what pinions are available but can i run like a 45t or 55t motor with a high tooth pinion, say 12t-21t and get some wheel speed from that setup? I don't mind going with 27t motors but i feel i will need some low end grunt with this heavy rig and doubting the 27t's can ditch out what i expect. I have no experience with any motor except my current 55t with 10t pinions.

Please share your setup and how it runs. Videos would be excellent too.

thanks