Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: thunder tech CVD question...please help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 12:29 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default thunder tech CVD question...please help!

thunder tech requires you to use 5mm x 30mm bolts when using their wheel adapter(#DEL-CB03) the problem is that i can get about a thread and a half before the bolt stops. i don't want to force it more than that in fear of wrecking the threads. i'm definetely not cross threading it, and i checked the pitch of the bolt.

anyone else have this issue?
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2006, 12:51 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Wierd.

Can you get the old (origonal) bolts to go in all of the way? Have you ever used an excessive amount of threadlock on them?
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
RCC Addict

no threadlock as they are brand new. the original supplied bolts thread right in, no problem. i just double checked the threads with my pitch gauge and they are identical.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I know with the really small hardware, pitch gauges are hard to read. (for me) I suggest you find a nut that fits the original hardware and then try it on your new hardware. Before you mentioned the original hardware threads right in I was suspecting a burr in the axle end.
Bobtail74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobtail74
I know with the really small hardware, pitch gauges are hard to read. (for me) I suggest you find a nut that fits the original hardware and then try it on your new hardware. Before you mentioned the original hardware threads right in I was suspecting a burr in the axle end.
i already checked all bolts with a 5mm 0.80 pitch nut. and i have a metric pitch guage. the original bolts thread in no problem at all, so there is no burr in the axle.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default thunder tech CVD question...also please help

I'm having the same problem- Imagine that-glad I found your post- thought I was just nuts. Also tried some low grade 5x30's at lowes and they didn't go in either (also.080 pitch)- Been working them in very slowly with oil- but somethings not right- barely have any threads in- Not good with a adapter/widener- Also need help please ???(suspect bad pitch on the tap that did the axles-????? Mine are about two months old-:-(
ClodNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

One thing I just thought of...

Thundertech updated the CVD's at one point to include splines so that they fit TXT's and had a few more degrees of stearing-maybe they updated the outer hardware aswell?

I would E-mail or call Darron and ask.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

What I would do is just buy a tap and chase the threads. What most likely happened is that the tap was wore out when the parts were being machined. don't force the bolt in it will only cause more problems.
roydelburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:11 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

id try what roydelburg said or find some washers to make up the difference
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Trying to get a tap now- Washers won't cut it with 2-3 thread engagement. ( especially with adapters/wideners)
Old 07-20-2006, 11:41 PM   #11
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodNutz
I'm having the same problem- Imagine that-glad I found your post- thought I was just nuts. Also tried some low grade 5x30's at lowes and they didn't go in either (also.080 pitch)- Been working them in very slowly with oil- but somethings not right- barely have any threads in- Not good with a adapter/widener- Also need help please ???(suspect bad pitch on the tap that did the axles-????? Mine are about two months old-:-(
Are you using hobby grade bolts? I bought some at lowes and it turns out the 5mm from there are just a hair different than the hobby grade 5mm. Hope this helps.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:23 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

No- I bought the good ones with the CVD's-but after having problems-thought I would just check with the low grade- Been calling around, and can't seem to find a 5x.080 tap for some reason.Still checking-I'm sure that will fix it- Thanks again-
Old 07-22-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Did you push the bearings ALL the way into the knuckles? Do the bolts thread into the stubs ok without the wheels on it? 5x.080 sounds weird. Might they be 5mm x 1.0 or 5mm x .5? LMK what you find.
CRAZYRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I just bought CVDs as well. If your CVDs are the newer ones that have splines and reuse the brass differential nuts, then the outer shaft take 10-32 bolts. I just checked the install sheet and bought extra bolts and they are for sure 10-32.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:27 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

My bro in law had the same exact problem. All he did was order the bolts that are supplied by thundertech and they threaded in like a dream.
jevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I did buy the bolts from Thunder Tech- 5X25 & 5x30's niether of them go in more than a thread or two. Borrowing a tap from a R/c plane guy today- I also checked to see if by chance the axle was 10x32- nope- 5 mm.-DId the other person that was having problems ever get his to go in more than 1 thread or two ????? If so- what ya do ??? Thanks again-stay tuned
Old 07-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Interesting, I just put mine together and they were 10-32. We'll stay tuned for sure.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:33 PM   #18