Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Ok, so I will start my noob build thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Looks good. Can't wait to see the delrin chassis all finished

Keep up the great work
CLODZIRRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2006, 06:52 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

you could pm syco133, he made me a set of 1/4 scale servos for my clod , which i still haven't used . but they fit on the axles and mount horizontally
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #23
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn
you could pm syco133, he made me a set of 1/4 scale servos for my clod , which i still haven't used . but they fit on the axles and mount horizontally
Any pics of said servos installed?
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #24
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I fabbed up a battery shelf to hold the pack up above the front axle...actually mounts to and sits just above the upper link mount post. I don't know if it is making it better in terms of weight transfer forward of the axle centerline...or if it's hurting it more by adding to the center of gravity??

Does anyone else think it's sitting too high??

Tell me what you think. :-(

Here's the pic album: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...wler/?start=40
Old 08-27-2006, 07:03 PM   #25
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

So.......opinions on the battery mount? Too high? Higher center of gravity going to hurt it you think? Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings on the mount ...it only took me about 20 minutes to make and if I need to ditch it, it won't hurt too bad.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:19 PM   #26
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I changed the suspension links to black acetal (Delrin) in lieu of the aluminum versions. I upgraded to 3/8" from the 5/16" size also to try and counteract any flexing of the arms. The Delrin will make the links slide easier over the rocks..and the black just goes way better with the overall look I am going for.

Try and imagine the pics below except with the "rail" chassis I posted earlier in 3/16" black Delrin also. Using SS hardware on the chassis itself and the black hardware on the rod ends like shown. Almost everything on the rig will end up either black or silver/polished....minus the blue anodizing of the shock caps ...the upper shock springs will also be black and not the green you see.

In regards to a name for the rig.....I have thought about what it would look like after it was done and imagined that it would look obviously black, but also maybe like the silver color of mercury....hence I guess I will call it the Mad Hatter. If anyone knows the history of black top hats and the manufacturing of them....they will understand the name.

Click Me's...........

Old 08-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

You could mount the battery on the axle grace and lower your CG.
Attached Images

dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #28
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
You could mount the battery on the axle grace and lower your CG.
I thought of that...but right now, even with the Crawler Store adapter/wideners...the inside sidewall of the tires would hit the pack at steering lock.

I have thought of getting the Maximizer 3/4" offset outer wheel faces to install on the wheels I have to give me another 3/4" width gain....then I could fit the pack on the drivers side long axle brace.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #29
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Does anyone know of a place to get new knuckle screws in a socket head cap version for the Clod??????? I am taking about the 4 phillips head shouldered screws that hold the steering knuckles on the axle. The stock one's are already starting to get beat up and borderline stripped in the head from removing and replacing them over and over.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:49 AM   #30
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Bump for the knuckle screw question.....

On a side note, I got the steering linkages made. Used 1/4" Delrin rod and I had to make a slight bend in both the tie rod and the drag link for clearance to the gear box due to modifiying the steering knuckles to turn as far as possible. No pics...cause it's just steering linkages...how many of those can you look at
Old 09-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #31
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Came up with a different name for the new Clod. Since my goal when this thing is complete is to keep as much of this build in the black and dark end of the color spectrum...I thought the name Lygophilia would be appropriate. Look it up if your interested

I thought of calling it "Black Betty" after the old song...but then thought it could possibly be taken the wrong way by some.

Last edited by Offroader5; 09-06-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

LYGOPHILIA(Greek:lyge, twilight) is a desire to be in a dark or gloomy place.
People who are lygophilic like to be in dark places, or travel at night. Typically the term with respect to Satanism or Goth Subculture, however patients who have been diagnosedas allergic to sunlight have developed cases of mild Lygophilia.
Lygophilia is most commonly used for the aid of sleep, romantic technique, asnd deep meditation, but the effect is short at best.

Interesting Name.....
Kev808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Huh?.........

MORE PICS!
Eazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

i like to travel at night just because its more comfortable, i might be a little of that.

more pics.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #35
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Alright.........I ordered up the 3/4" offset X-75's from Maximizer to get some additional width to fit that big bastard of a 1/4 scale servo. It's going to fit perfect now laying down on the axle stay...I just have to make the mount for it.

I had a really trick idea while looking at the new wheel faces...or should I say the backside of the new wheel faces. I thought of a way to use the voids in the backside of the spokes to house the wheel weights. Here's what I did:

Here's everything you need...the wheel faces, hot glue gun, and some lead fishing sinkers.

Here's what the backside of the wheel face looks like:

The weights are the "torpedo" shaped versions that are 3/8 ounce each...and you'll need 8 per wheel (luckily they come 8 to a package )

First ya bend over the tabs to close them up:

Then insert them into the back of the spokes in the wheel...these weights are a PERFECT fit with no modification other than bending over the tabs:

Here's another view after they are all in place:

Then using the hot glue gun, simply glue over the top of them filling in the whole backside of the spoke:

I also had some stick on 1/4 ounce weights that I put on the inside ring of the wheel...2 each spot at 3 places evenly around the ring (in a triangle pattern):

And...walla, here is the finished product from the back. Talk about stealth....

Per wheel, there were eight 3/8 ounce weights in the spokes, plus the three pairs of 1/4 ounce stick on weights on the inside of the wheel...which makes for a total of 4.5 ounces. The only other way to get some ballast weight out farther on the truck is to make new heavier rock rings..and this takes WAY less time.

Also...just because you asked for pics....here's a gratuitous shot of the steering linkage made of 1/4" Delrin and bent slightly to clear the gearbox at steering lock.

Last edited by Offroader5; 09-08-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

Very slick idea there.
Kev808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #37
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Been a while since my last post...and I have gotten alot done since. First of all, the Delrin rail chassis is on hold right now for certain reasons, but it WILL live at some point soon. I am just going to finish the build with the aluminum chassis and then just swap over later.

Let's see, where to start....

Finished the front steering. Made a servo mount for the axle stay and finally got that big a$$ 1/4 scale mounted and functioning. Now that I know the mount works and there is turning clearance, I can fabricate and finish the rear. To get the mount and servo to fit...I had to make new taller upper link posts. I ended up using the same 3/8" Delrin as my links, but since the mount hole in the axle is just a smidge larger than 3/8", I just wrapped aluminum foil tape around it till it fit very snug...perfect fit. Then using two 6-32 cap screws, I secured it...and believe me, there will be NO rotation in this mount.

Made some lower shock mounts so I could mount the shocks to the lower links. Just shaped and drilled some small stainless angle material I had lying around.

Made a new lower belly skid (chassis bottom) using 3/16" Delrin.

Mounted all the electronics (in new places). Made a trick little shelf-bracket-thingy just for the RX. Everything including the battery fit nice and neat (and a tad tightly) in the chassis center.

Ran all the necessary wiring to the motors...all I have to do is solder the connections at the motors themselves and solder on the capacitors (soldering iron is a piece of crap and need a new one).

Anyways...here's the pics. Newest pics are about half way down the page.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...wler/?start=40

Last edited by Offroader5; 09-24-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:49 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5
Does anyone know of a place to get new knuckle screws in a socket head cap version for the Clod??????? I am taking about the 4 phillips head shouldered screws that hold the steering knuckles on the axle. The stock one's are already starting to get beat up and borderline stripped in the head from removing and replacing them over and over.
GPM makes some, I have the aluminum knuckles, and the screws came with them. They sell them seperately though, I saw some on ebay last week. You might have to search for them, but they do exist.
beatnbruised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #39

How bout the new pics with the sick rod ends?
BMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #40
RCC Addict

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...wler/?start=40
I think this is the link you need.
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote