Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: UA Taco NN Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default UA Taco NN Build

I'm back with another build, but this time I'm building a clod for a friend of mine...unless I decided I like it and then it's mine

Going to use the parma tundra body and paint it up to look like Petersons Ultimate Adventure Tacoma. Should turn out really sweat. I'm going to use what I learned from building mine and make this a clean build. I'll try to take picture of every step along the way so people new to this can follow this build and get a good idea of what is involved. I'm also going to try to time how long I work on it from start to finish.
Here are the specs:
-NN Chassis
-Clod Axles w/ JB locker
-Hot Boddies T-Maxx Shocks
-Axiom 65t lathes
-Hitec HS-645MG servos
-TR 2 ESC
-TQ3 Controller w/ rear steer
-Moabs on Proline WeldRacing BL's
-8 cell battery

Feel free to ask questions and please point out anything that I can change to make this a better build. Always looking for opinions to improve something. Onto the pictures
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

ere's proof I didn't run off with the money and buy an atlas
Nolen, Notice the Rudy's cup. I bet you don't have one of those up there
For those that have never used JB weld to lock the diff, look in the 2nd picture. All you need to do is slop a little JB down ontop of each of the 3 spider gears. Then just slap that outer gear on. Be careful not to get and glue on part of the gears that come in contact with each other.
I'm still waiting on the chassi so I put the axles together tonight and also started stripping the wheels with over cleaner. I'll dye and narrow them this weekend probably, and then hopefully the chassis will be here sometime next week.

Last edited by TxCruzr; 07-28-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:01 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

looks good you might wanna look at the one pic it says your name p.o. box etc etc
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thats for people to send me donations
Old 07-29-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Got the wheels de-chromed. Used some oven cleaner and just soaked them with that and let them sit. The first time I used the fume free stuff and I ran out and apparently picked up the regular can yesterday. That stuff is bad. Make sure you do it in a wheel vented room and you might want to wear gloves when you wash the wheels off. Make sure to get all of the flaky yellow crud off to. You can use an old tooth brush or your roomates
As for dying them, two bottles of rit dye in a big pot on the stove. Heat to a low boil and let them sit till they're nice and black. Then dry.
Next is to narrow them and put them back together agian. Kevin said he shipped the chassis so that should be in early next week to finish up on the axles and put the chassis together

Old 07-30-2006, 02:25 PM   #6

Damn dude, I like chrome!!!

Thanks for the link, I am gonna go get a yard of rip-rap rock and dump it in the pasture...........
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:09 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

When I narrowed them the chrome looked like ***, it was chipping off from where I cut it, other wise I was gonna see which one you wanted. I think mounting these beadlocks is worse than mounting real ones
Heres the finished picture
Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 AM   #8

Sick!
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

shoulda rit dyed the chrome, would have gave it the black chrome look...but since it was chipping wouldnt have been really good..going good soo far
swamp_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Would that work? I didn't know if the dye would stick to the chrome.
If I ever do this again I'm going to have to get a chop saw. I have the worlds largest blister on my finger from pushing the saw blade down, and go figure I had a test with 2 essay questions today :-P
Old 07-31-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCruzr
Yes, it works well.

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/faq/dyepg2.htm
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:31 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Thats cool, I almost want to get another set of rims and try it....minus tightening all the screws.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Got the chassis in today and will start on it tonight as long as is does not interfer with the 50cent pizza rolls :-P

Got a bunch done tonight, I'll post the pictures in the tomorrow after class.

Last edited by TxCruzr; 08-01-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:00 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCruzr
If I ever do this again I'm going to have to get a chop saw. I have the worlds largest blister on my finger from pushing the saw blade down, and go figure I had a test with 2 essay questions today :-P

thats why i use my trusty dremel tool. and it takes no time either
octigonwallrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:42 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

ill send you a donation ill take a dump in a box and mail it to you jk looks good so far cant wait to see it done
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by octigonwallrus
thats why i use my trusty dremel tool. and it takes no time either
i used my dremel untill the plastic started burning and flying everywhere, a hand saw works just as good, amazingly fast too, cant wait to see it done, what w/b are you heading for?
swamp_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

The only power tool I have in my apt up here is a old battery powered dremmel that holds charge for about 10-15 minutes, otherwise I thought about using that on the rims :-P
Going for a 16" wb with a 60/40 split front to rear. I'm mounting the reciever/esc in the chassis instead of on the front axle so to make up for that weight I put some stick on wheel weights in the front wheels. The guy at discount tire didn't understand why I wanted wheel weights and not have them balance my tires
Old 08-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I got addicted last night and put in 5 hours or watched 3 movies while putting everything together. Chassis is complete with axles mounted and shocks installed. I'll start on the shelf to hold the electronics tonight and try to get everything wired up so my next post will include how many times I burned myself with the soldering gun
There are two pictures at the bottom with the body sitting as a mockup...its going to look bad @$$ when its painted

A note on when you install the axle braces. Don't use the supplied screw for the upper mount that mounts the brace to the center diff on the side that holds the steering servo. Use one of the extra flad head screws that come in the steering servo mount bag. You can snug them up tigher and it keeps the brace from shifting when steering.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I took some time and cleaned the side plates up and got everything real smooth. You can't really tell from the pictures but it has a nice shine to it. I think I need a non-hand me down camera I also tried to smooth out the edges because I learned when putting mine together if you hit it just right, it tends to cut you.
I also have a idea on the rear link mounts that popped into my head at work. I'm going to try it out on mine to see if I can tell a difference on my hardcore offroad course in my room
Nolen, those are oil filled shocks cause I know how you like the bling
Apparently they also make remote res. shocks too, I can't wait till they make air shocks for these

Old 08-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Can't wait for it to be done.
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote