Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: run time question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default run time question

i was out driving my cralwer the other day after i put in a new hitech high torque servo and had some questions.

First, i run stock clod motors with a tekin rebel 2 esc. I got like maby 5 mins of run time while out bashing. It was some rugged terrain where my tires would often get jammed in the rocks and lock up so im sure that had a little to do with it because of the stress on the motors.

My question is, if i change to the lather motors (which i need to do anyway) will i see a heavy increase in run time? oh the bat was a 3300 nimh.
lilcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
RCC Addict

When you install the lathe motors you should see 45min runtimes, some times even longer! Makes a big difference.
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

No disrespect meant but the way you charge your 3300 nimh batteries is REALLY key also. The only reason I say that is because the silver can clod motors should still give better run time than that. I run my regular Clod with Saphire motors and a Super Rooster with smaller nicad batteries and get better run time than that.
Bobtail74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Switching to lathe motors will help out tremendously. You can also increase run time by using lower gearing. Any way you can reduce the load on the motors, the better run time you will receive. Even running smaller tires will help. I see 10 miniute difference in run time between 2.2 and stock clod tires.
polyophio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobtail74
No disrespect meant but the way you charge your 3300 nimh batteries is REALLY key also. The only reason I say that is because the silver can clod motors should still give better run time than that. I run my regular Clod with Saphire motors and a Super Rooster with smaller nicad batteries and get better run time than that.
There are several factors that effect run time. Yes the charging does make a difference. The condition of the battery is a big factor. Plus binding up the tires will kill battery life as well. Throttle control can increase run time too.

I run 12 cells with stock clod motors and 11/10 gearing. I only see around 13 minutes of run time using 3000mah batteries.
polyophio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
I lost my vendor privileges

i still run stock gears and kyosho stock motors with moab xls and get about 7 or 8 minutes run time just got motor mounts and ordered some 8 tooths from a buddy of mine going to put them in next week should help alot. i still have the original clod from 1987. i have had it for about 12 years still does pretty good.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'm running stock silver cans, EVX modded to single pack, 1100 RX pack for the servo, 645MG servo, Zombie Maxx's on offset Maximizer beadlocks with 3oz weight added to each front wheel with some el-cheap-o 3300's and I can get 45 mins at least if I run it near full out all the time and at least 2 hours of crawl time on a single pack... When we go for a good 4-6 hour bash day, I change my packs out no more than twice, usually only once...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:56 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Some lathe motors and lower pinions, smaller tires, better charger or charging habbits. last but not least...stop binding up the tires as much.
CLODZIRRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

hehe yeah i was jsut curious. i think the abt i was using might be shot anyway. i was more jsut curious about the increase from to motors. tho for some reason i cant seem to find them in stock.
lilcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote