Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: How to build a Clodbuster Rock Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #41
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlongisland
How to build - Part 3:
Construction and assorted notes
:

This is a work in progress.

Make sure to use locktight on any metal to metal hardware like a metal screw going into a metal part or into a metal nut.

Nitro or gas powered r/c trucks do not make good crawlers at all for many reasons. Electric motors have allot more "control". You can control the torque and power you apply much more precisely. Electrics have instant reverse. Not all nitros even have reverse systems stock. Nitros free wheel (no brake or engine power) when the throttle on the radio is returned to neutral. This allows the truck to roll which you don't want to do when crawling on inclines.

You can lock your differentials (diffs) using jb weld or hot glue.

Four Wheel Steering:
To make the most capable rock crawler you should setup four wheel steering (4ws - steer the front and rear wheels). You can use a Y servo cable to do this. The y cable is inexpensive ($4-$10) and you can get them at any local hobby shop or online hobby store. But this will give you full time 4ws which is not really that good. The best setup is an independent 4ws system. Setup like this, the front and rear servo are wired seperately into the receiver on different channels. For this you need to have at least a 3 channel radio system. The cheapest method to do this is to modify a tq3 system. You can buy the parts or a complete system from www.thecrawlerstore.com or you can modify your system with the info found here:

My Modded TQ3 Update - Added EPA pots

You can also use a 3 or more channel radio system. Different radio systems are listed above in part 1 of this article.

Mounting servos:
Here is some info on how to mount your servos to the clod axles.
Aggressor Steering System
Aggressor Steering System

You should also cut off the 4 little knubs (steering stops) on each knuckle to increase turning radius. I use a pair of wire cutters or knips, but you can use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel (use safety glasses) or any other means.

About the super clodbuster kits:
The super clod kit does not come with any type of controller and receiver, servos, batteries, or any wiring that you would use on a clod based crawler. the stock clod can't do much of anything. It's only worth buying for the axles.

Making you own links:
http://www.rccrawler.com/customlink.htm
http://www.rccrawler.com/links2.htm

Wiring your motors:
http://www.utrcrc.com/tech.html

Links to other usefull threads:
RCCRAWLER tips, cheap tricks / parts guide.
An explanation of the different types of crawlers, 2.2, super, unlimited, shafty, tubers, price considerations, performance, etc.
A Detailed Description of the Different Types of Crawlers
I need some help here... Your link for Wiring your motors wont work for me. Can you tell me what to click on to get to that section on www.utrcrc.com so I can find out how to wire my motors? Because I just spent over $900 to get everything at once to build a crawler and all i have left to do is wire it. Please help!
Crawlerdude75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Try this:

http://www.utrcrc.com/utrcrc/tech.html
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #43
I joined the Band!

Thanks. Now it works. I appreciate it.
Crawlerdude75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:51 PM   #44
The Wheels Keep Turning

I just updated the "how to wire motors" link as well so it will work now.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #45

Default clod diff

im not sure how to work this site as im a new member so if i did this wrong sry! but i have a ??? i was wondering if hotglue would work to lock my clods diff??? I used it on my tlt crawler but thats a enclosed diff. so im not sure if that will work on the clods nylon diff gears??also mabie jb weld? if anyone has the rite anser let me kno im new to the clods!! thanx !!!
da-real-batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

i have succesfully hot glued 2 of my clods, and run lockers on my other 2 clods, first remove all grease or oil on the gears then apply the hot glue, it should work fine, best thing is that it is reversible
And no you won't damage the gears.

Last edited by cartronicshn; 01-24-2007 at 05:11 PM.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #47

thanx cartronicshn for the advise on the hotglue i kno abought the aluminum lockers but as im on a buget hot glue seems to be the hott ticket for me!so it wont damage the nylon either? kool thanx again!!

Last edited by da-real-batman; 01-24-2007 at 05:16 PM.
da-real-batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

would 2 hitec 5645 servos running in a NN using 8 cells have enough power with one in front and one in the rear, or will the 645 work decent as well? Can the NN take a 8 cell flat side by side pack? also, why does everyone recommend using mambo wheels? is there anything wrong with using 40 series moab tires on beadlock rims? for a radio i will probably run a nomadio react. it has 4 channels, and a 3 position wheel that the march 07' issue of rc driver said can be used to shift gears or be used for rear steering on a crawler.

Last edited by theTman; 01-26-2007 at 09:24 PM.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:51 PM   #49

Default mounting savage wheels/tires

newbe here just got clod project off ebay and have a question, i would like to mount stock savage wheels 17mm. can i just use 12mm to 17mm adapters and be ok? will i have to worry about savage backspacing? i think they are 2in and my clod wheels are 1.5? also if adapters work where is a good place to buy..
hdking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #50
The Wheels Keep Turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman
would 2 hitec 5645 servos running in a NN using 8 cells have enough power with one in front and one in the rear, or will the 645 work decent as well? Can the NN take a 8 cell flat side by side pack? also, why does everyone recommend using mambo wheels? is there anything wrong with using 40 series moab tires on beadlock rims? for a radio i will probably run a nomadio react. it has 4 channels, and a 3 position wheel that the march 07' issue of rc driver said can be used to shift gears or be used for rear steering on a crawler.
There should be no power requirement problems running the two 5645mg servos. Steering might be lacking some but it's allot of money to upgrade to robot servos. The NN skid plate is rather long and will fit a shotgun style 8 cell pack or a hump style pack. You can use any tire and rim combo you like. Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #51
The Wheels Keep Turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdking46
newbe here just got clod project off ebay and have a question, i would like to mount stock savage wheels 17mm. can i just use 12mm to 17mm adapters and be ok? will i have to worry about savage backspacing? i think they are 2in and my clod wheels are 1.5? also if adapters work where is a good place to buy..
The stock clod hex is a 12mm hex. So a 12mm to 17mm adapter would work. The only thing that you have to be careful of is the offset. Most rims like that have allot of offset and you need a widener to push them out.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:25 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

man, what a great thread, lots of info for this newb
Randy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #53

Default locking diffs

just got a clod made and was wondering how o lock the diffs... never done any of this before..?
4tecJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #54
RCC Addict

There are a few threads here for how to lock your Clod diffs. We also sell an aluminum diff locker kit if you want a foolproof solution. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...lodbuster+diff
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #55
The Wheels Keep Turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tecJeeps
just got a clod made and was wondering how o lock the diffs... never done any of this before..?
There is also some information here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/clodlocker.htm
Old 03-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #56
Pebble Pounder

thanks for helpin out all us noobs and not flaming us to death....thank you alot!!!
dannan_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #57
The Wheels Keep Turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannan_w
thanks for helpin out all us noobs and not flaming us to death....thank you alot!!!
You're very welcome!
Old 04-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #58
Official Scale Nazi

How about we change all the links on the "how to" items. There's no reason we should be linking any products to Tower with all the vendors we have selling all the parts needed. Tower does nothing to support our hobby or RCC so we should be supporting our vendors first and foremost.
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #59
The Wheels Keep Turning

Changes are in the works. Just have a little patience.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Could someone point me to where I might find the "Hustler" chassis like on the first page? Thanks
tjcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-clod-buster/4065-how-build-clodbuster-rock-crawler.html
Posted By For Type Date
thecrawlerstore - Xtreme This thread Refback 10-04-2011 10:48 PM