Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: newbie jps gear question , will stock clod gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #1

Default newbie jps gear question , will stock clod gears

Sorry if this has already been discussed , I have searched and searched . I have a crawler with jps axles and just purchased a clod with jps axles . The crawler stripped a gear . Not sure which gear yet , waiting until I find gears before I open it up . So my question is, will stock clod gears work in jps axles ? Or is there somebody that makes gears for jps axles ? Thank you for any help I can get !!!

Last edited by newtocrawling1973; 03-27-2013 at 01:42 PM.
newtocrawling1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: newbie jps gear question , will stock clod gears

Stock Clod gears should work.
scorpiondave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #3

Thank you ! I appreciate your help !! I'm just trying to not waste anymore money. I keep gettinv bad information from my lhs' s because they just don't know but want the sales . Thank you again! !!!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #4

I agree with scorpiondave. Stock gears should be fine. When you start changing the pinion gear is when you could have troubles. Some larger pinions wouldn't fit, but I can't remember what tooth count it was before it was too big.
sosume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #5

Thank you guys ! All the research I have done shows the gears are the same . But I'm tired of wasting money , that's why I asked here . Thanks again .
Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #6

How often are you stripping gears? Out of all the clods I have owned in the last 20+ years I don't think I ever stripped a gear. Broke many axle tubes and plastic tubs, etc, etc....., but no gears. lol.

I'm just curious, but what do you use the truck for. Is it a pulling rig? If it's strictly a pulling rig, then it may be worth looking into the steel gear sets. They use to make delrin gears too.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #7

i bought this clod based crawler used with jps axles . i have only had it about 3 months , been on the rocks about 6 times with it . from the first time i got the truck running i heard a clicking sound coming from the rear axle . then it finaly stripped all the way . i am replacing all of the bearings . i ordered everything sunday . should be delivered today or tomorrow . i have never owned a clod before this one and now have 2 . one is a stretched out crawler . the other is a jps everything racer .
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
RMK
Quarry Creeper

New bearings are always good. Were there any chips or teeth missing on the gears? What was the clicking noise in the rear axle? You should post up some pics of those rigs.
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #9

Yes 2 of the gears were stripped . There are aluminum shavings from the gears . I wish I could post pics . But I'm a newbie. I just got the 2nd clod , its set up pretty much like the one one jps' s website. The only difference is mine does not have the cantilevers , just links I just need to figure out which bodies I'm gonna get for them . I think bug body for the crawler . maybe excursion or suburban for the other . Not sure .
Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
RMK
Quarry Creeper

You can still post pics being a newb. I posted pics on my very 1st post. I just go through photobucket. It's an extra step, but a lot easier.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocrawling1973 View Post
Yes 2 of the gears were stripped . There are aluminum shavings from the gears . I wish I could post pics . But I'm a newbie. I just got the 2nd clod , its set up pretty much like the one one jps' s website. The only difference is mine does not have the cantilevers , just links I just need to figure out which bodies I'm gonna get for them . I think bug body for the crawler . maybe excursion or suburban for the other . Not sure .
Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #11

I'd like to see some pics too!

Photobucket is free to use too.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #12

I'll try to figure out how to do the pics . I'm not very good with computers . I'm lucky I can figure how to get here on my phone
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
RMK
Quarry Creeper

It's a bit more of a pain to do it on your phone. It is capable, just more of a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocrawling1973 View Post
I'll try to figure out how to do the pics . I'm not very good with computers . I'm lucky I can figure how to get here on my phone

newbie jps gear question , will stock clod gears - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie: TXT-1 servo stock gear stripping YSL Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 5 04-26-2005 11:00 AM