Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Just starting out in rc rock crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #21

So trying to get a headstart on the clod before I move (and cause I was bored. I decided to take apart the shocks and clean them up good and put new shock oil in them. Found one missing a few internal parts so I quit after my second one. When I get my new chassis in the mail. Should I let the axle hang and then measure from screw to screw? Or how should I measure them or is there an average size shock I should look into? I was looking at the 125mm shocks with the reservoir. Will these work?

I only ask cause their around the same size as the ones I have on it now.
mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Just starting out in rc rock crawling

The best shocks I have found were in the 4" fully extended range. I have never used those specific shocks, so I cannot comment on them, but, my advice is to find a shock that you can get different springs for. Because the springs it comes with may be too stiff or too soft. Having that adjustability is always nice. Now, most springs are interchangeable with a 14mm diameter, but, make sure whatever ones you get, at least have that size spring....
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
The best shocks I have found were in the 4" fully extended range. I have never used those specific shocks, so I cannot comment on them, but, my advice is to find a shock that you can get different springs for. Because the springs it comes with may be too stiff or too soft. Having that adjustability is always nice. Now, most springs are interchangeable with a 14mm diameter, but, make sure whatever ones you get, at least have that size spring....
Ok I appreciate the help. I'll look into that. Is there another website besides rc4wd to get parts from?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #24
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Oh yeah. Tons! Too many to list. They are smaller and specialize in specific parts. Go to the vendor section here and you will find a lot of them....
Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Oh yeah. Tons! Too many to list. They are smaller and specialize in specific parts. Go to the vendor section here and you will find a lot of them....
Oh ok thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #26

Hey rmk should I change the gearing or leave it at stock for now and wait til I get it going? I was just reading a couple threads about gearing other trucks so I figured I would ask.

Also do you know what my 540 motors are rated at? Should I get 2 55t motors? I guess if I do that I should look into a combo of esc and 2 motors, right?

Last edited by mike2; 04-01-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Ok let me throw in my 2 pennies in here, first off, you are wanting to build a super crawler right?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I have 2 supers for comp, 1 built for speed, one tubed rig for bashing and one unfinished project, I have pinions on these anywhere from 6t to 23t, depends if you want crawling ability and low end control, I also have twin esc on my crawling rigs, these are hooked up with a fly sky radio on 6ch receivers which give me control for rear steer, front and rear dig and proportional power to either motor also, also the 645 hinted servo is marginal at best with 40 series tires, I would suggest a more powerful servo and a bec also.

Couple of my builds, these are old an nowhere near competitive with the new supers out there but you will get some ideas from them hopefully.
Yes, you need an external BEC!
First Stick Chassis Build...in Honduras
Cpe Claw Build, #2 Prototype

Last edited by cartronicshn; 04-01-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added links.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #29
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Build your truck with the parts your getting and then go from there. See how it does for what your wanting and then we can start making adjustments. It's gonna be trial and error from then on out..... Get it all together, drive it, notice what exactly it is doing or not doing and then you can start fine tuning it..... Everybody has a different preference on motors and gearing and yet they all do about the same.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2 View Post
Hey rmk should I change the gearing or leave it at stock for now and wait til I get it going? I was just reading a couple threads about gearing other trucks so I figured I would ask.

Also do you know what my 540 motors are rated at? Should I get 2 55t motors? I guess if I do that I should look into a combo of esc and 2 motors, right?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #30
RMK
Quarry Creeper

You have some nice setups! mike2 is technically building a super class rig, but its more of a personal rig that happens to be super class size. I'm sure as he gets deeper and deeper into it, he will end up getting most of that, but, I think let him have some trial and error along with a few of us guiding him in the right direction he will be better off.... But, that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
I have 2 supers for comp, 1 built for speed, one tubed rig for bashing and one unfinished project, I have pinions on these anywhere from 6t to 23t, depends if you want crawling ability and low end control, I also have twin esc on my crawling rigs, these are hooked up with a fly sky radio on 6ch receivers which give me control for rear steer, front and rear dig and proportional power to either motor also, also the 645 hinted servo is marginal at best with 40 series tires, I would suggest a more powerful servo and a bec also.

Couple of my builds, these are old an nowhere near competitive with the new supers out there but you will get some ideas from them hopefully.
Yes, you need an external BEC!
First Stick Chassis Build...in Honduras
Cpe Claw Build, #2 Prototype
Old 04-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #31

I found this chassis for $60 and it includes servo plates and a its expandable from a 14in wheelbase to a 17in wheel base. I'm glad I found that how to make a clod buster crawler thread. Just talk emailed Kevin and he's cutting the side plates as I type this. So hopefully they'll be back in stock soon. Still unsure about an esc but I'm gonna stick with the same wheels, tires, and servos.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #32
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Which chassis is that? Were you still wanting the links? Or you waiting for the new chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2 View Post
I found this chassis for $60 and it includes servo plates and a its expandable from a 14in wheelbase to a 17in wheel base. I'm glad I found that how to make a clod buster crawler thread. Just talk emailed Kevin and he's cutting the side plates as I type this. So hopefully they'll be back in stock soon. Still unsure about an esc but I'm gonna stick with the same wheels, tires, and servos.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Which chassis is that? Were you still wanting the links? Or you waiting for the new chassis?
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/disabled-...-anodized.html

Sorry forgot about the link. I'm gonna see if they become available again. Cause I need the servo mounting plates and the links for the steering. If they don't come back in stock then yea ill still order a set of links from you.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #34
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Nice! That's a solid chassis. Right on. It looks like the chassis comes with the suspension links. If your needing just steering, lemme know.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

X2 on the chassis, that was my first crawling chassis back in 06, I got mine from Dezfan, I then sold it my first crawler buddy here and he is still comping it
Old 05-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #36

you could of bought mine for 400 and save a bunch of money LOL

Good luck with the build. Looks good
25-5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Just starting out in rc rock crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting crawling in Southern Illinois dano104 Illinois 19 05-27-2015 08:08 PM
Just starting in rc rock crawling mike2 Newbie General 9 04-03-2013 07:50 PM
New to Crawling starting build. comments spersky Axial XR10 11 07-01-2011 11:45 PM
starting some rock crawling action GReddy California 2 12-12-2004 02:44 PM