Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Just starting out in rc rock crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #1

Default Just starting out in rc rock crawling

Hey guys new to this forum. I've been into rc for well over 10 years with both surface and air vehicles. I would like to get into rock crawling. I would like to upgrade my clod buster into a rock crawler. I want to use my spektrum dx6i air transmitter so I can independently control the front and rear steering. Any idea if its possible? Hopefully you guys can help me find a rock crawler kit for my clod or helpful ideas on how to set it up for rock crawling. I have oil filled shocks on it (only 4 instead of 8 like from factory) I have a custom made chassis and also custom made mount/protector plates for the steering servo. I just need to upgrade the electronics cause its still using the stock speed control. Thanks for the help guys.
mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Just starting out in rc rock crawling

You can deffinately use that radio for independant steering. You can even use it to control your front and rear motors.....you can possibly use your chassis, but it depends which one it is. What tires are you wanting to use? What size of a crawler are you wanting to build?
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Btw, welcome to the forum!!!!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
You can deffinately use that radio for independant steering. You can even use it to control your front and rear motors.....you can possibly use your chassis, but it depends which one it is. What tires are you wanting to use? What size of a crawler are you wanting to build?
Can someone help me find a receiver to help me achieve my goal? Also here's some pics of my monster

This is where my battery sits. Nice and low.
These are my oil filled shocks. Are they any good?

So that's what I'm working with. I found a crawler chassis on eBay for $119.95 with free shipping. Comes with a new aluminum chassis with the tubular links to make a four link suspension.

I'm also looking at getting a Novak rooster esc since it can handle up to a 6s lipo and is set up for dual brushed motors. I use 3s lipo with my rc airplanes so they should work fine with this. Tires and rims? I have the stock tires and rims on it now but the rims slid real bad inside the tires last time I messed with it. So what are my options? I'm extremely new to this part of the rc hobby so I could use all the help I can get. So with the above parts I mentioned am I on the right track to get started? I just need help with finding a receiver to meet my needs and a tire and rim combo. After that I think I'm good to go to get started. Right???
Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

my Novak rooster is rated for 2s. I've been running it on 3s for a couple of years and haven't burned it up yet
ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10 View Post
my Novak rooster is rated for 2s. I've been running it on 3s for a couple of years and haven't burned it up yet
Oh I must have mistaken it for another one. So what do you guys think about my other parts that I have selected? I still haven't found tire and rim options available for my clodbuster axles.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Novak does make an esc for 2 motors, I don't remember the name though
Old 03-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10 View Post
Novak does make an esc for 2 motors, I don't remember the name though
The Novak 1841 rooster crawler esc says it can do dual brushed motors but I don't see how.

If this one can't handle 2 540 motors then I guess I'm gonna need some help finding a good esc. Should I get those combos I've been seeing that come with an esc and 2 crawler motors?? Or is it better just to get an esc since I already have 2 540 motors?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If you want to stay with Novak, check out the m2 dig esc on Novaks website. I've heard that the drag brake is a bit weak on that esc though
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #10

I mean I'm willing to try anything that works that other members have tried. I'm completely new at this part of the hobby so if you guys have set ups that work or chassis' that work. By all means please post them. I'm not worried about brand name parts, I would just like a set up that works and is going to be a good set up in my first truck.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Great starting point! That chassis is awesome!! It's an inet r/c chassis. It's my favorite off all of them. Super light with plenty of space for everything on the lower part. Look into their machined lower links, they are better for shock stability.

Wait till your chassis is complete and try your shocks, if they work, rock em. You don't need super fancy expensive shocks for crawling.

As for your receiver..... Just get a new spectrum reciever. It's gonna be a lil touchy on the throtttle, but, you just have to get used to it.

If you want a solid esc and motors, go with the Holmes hobbies esc. They can handle 6s Lipo, dual motors, they have amazing crawler programming built in, you can get them in fully waterproof setup, and they start at round $100..... Holmes hobbies has some mind blowing crawler motors too!!!

Now, onto your wheels and tires..... The question needs to be asked.... What size are you going for? Are you wanting to have similar sized tires? Are you wanting smaller? Because there are TONS of sizes and types and costs.....
Old 03-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Great starting point! That chassis is awesome!! It's an inet r/c chassis. It's my favorite off all of them. Super light with plenty of space for everything on the lower part. Look into their machined lower links, they are better for shock stability.

Wait till your chassis is complete and try your shocks, if they work, rock em. You don't need super fancy expensive shocks for crawling.

As for your receiver..... Just get a new spectrum reciever. It's gonna be a lil touchy on the throtttle, but, you just have to get used to it.

If you want a solid esc and motors, go with the Holmes hobbies esc. They can handle 6s Lipo, dual motors, they have amazing crawler programming built in, you can get them in fully waterproof setup, and they start at round $100..... Holmes hobbies has some mind blowing crawler motors too!!!

Now, onto your wheels and tires..... The question needs to be asked.... What size are you going for? Are you wanting to have similar sized tires? Are you wanting smaller? Because there are TONS of sizes and types and costs.....
Awesome just the response I was waiting for. Ok I looked into the holmes esc and that's where I think I got the 6s lipo from. Should i go with the holmes esc and motors combo or will the 540 stock motors be ok? Do you have a link to those machined lower links for the chassis? I think for tires I'm not looking for the same width maybe half as wide and I'm ok with the height. Something with beadlock.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Here is the link for the links.... InetRC.com Custom RC Fabrication

As for the motor esc combo, well, you can never go wrong with adding the motors. It all depends on your budget.....

Now, as for your wheels and tires.... Here is a nice tire.... https://store.rc4wd.com/mobile/home.asp?

Here are some wheels that will work with those tires.

If your wanting something smaller, just check out the 2.2 tires and wheels. There is a huge selection of those.....
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Here are some wheels that will work with those tires.
Can you post the link for the wheels?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
RMK
Quarry Creeper

oops, sorry. Forgot that part....well, just go to the same website that the tires are on, go to the beadlocks and then the 40 series....

Last edited by RMK; 03-30-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #16

So I found out I'm able to use my airplane receivers in my truck so I can have control over both front and rear steering independently. I've chosen to use these parts with the stock motors.
2 hitec metal gear high torque servos
holmes hobbies torquemasters br-xl esc
these mudslingers all around (I've used these on my revo and from experience I know they grip very well and have a sticky compound)
last but not least these predator wheels all around.

I decided to go with the 2.2s cause I felt the 40 series weren't wide enough at only 1.97in wide. Plus the 2.2 had more options with wheels.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Good setup. Those servos will will work good. The 2.2s are huge for crawlers that's why there is so many options. The nice part is you can use the 12mm hex that the clod already has..... I think you will like that setup and then you start making adjustments from there....

Post some pics when you start getting parts in and start the build....
Old 03-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Good setup. Those servos will will work good. The 2.2s are huge for crawlers that's why there is so many options. The nice part is you can use the 12mm hex that the clod already has..... I think you will like that setup and then you start making adjustments from there....

Post some pics when you start getting parts in and start the build....
I must have read the dimensions on another tire. So the 40 series is about an inch and a half taller but an inch smaller width wise. So I think after measuring to get an idea what size would look best I'm going to go with the 40 series.
still gonna use the mud slingers but in 40 series size.
chose these as my new wheels and I think they look a little nicer as well. Also read I need the 14mm hex adapter for my clod so I'll be getting a set of those as well. I'm moving into an apartment next week so I probably won't get any parts anytime soon. But I will definitely post pics of the progress once I slowly start getting them in.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #19
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Those mud slingers are 7.55" tall and 3.5" wide. They are big! The 3.8" you are reading is the size of rim they take. Which is those 40 series beadlocks you have selected.... Your rig will get a whole lot bigger....
Old 03-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Those mud slingers are 7.55" tall and 3.5" wide. They are big! The 3.8" you are reading is the size of rim they take. Which is those 40 series beadlocks you have selected.... Your rig will get a whole lot bigger....
Yea my stock clodbuster tires are 6in high so I figured an extra inch and a half isn't bad but I'm losing an inch from the width which isn't bad. More ground clearance is a definite plus in my book so that's why I chose the bigger tires. I just hope their not too big.

Just starting out in rc rock crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting crawling in Southern Illinois dano104 Illinois 19 05-27-2015 08:08 PM
Just starting in rc rock crawling mike2 Newbie General 9 04-03-2013 07:50 PM
New to Crawling starting build. comments spersky Axial XR10 11 07-01-2011 11:45 PM
starting some rock crawling action GReddy California 2 12-12-2004 02:44 PM