Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: 2.2 Pimp Cane Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 2.2 Pimp Cane Review

I was looking for a 2.2 Clod chassis that could provide the center chassis clearance and simplicity I needed to build a 2.2 competition Clod based crawler.

A few seemed to fit the bill and looked like they would work. But, when you start looking at the cost and over all design, the choices for a 2.2 Clod chassis were not very broad and the field diminished quickly. I was faced with this problem recently and started looking for an chassis to meet my needs. I needed it to be inexpensive, provide exceptional center chassis clearance, and easy to assemble and repair. Like I stated, Cost was an issue I wanted to address. The Stick, NN, and several of the 2.2 TLT chassis are amazing designs, but they are fairly pricey and it the case of Stick, not easy to convert to a 12.5 inch wheel base.

The problem:

I wanted a chassis that would offer great break over angles, center chassis clearance, and be very stable in off camber situations. The chassis hunt started w/ the NN. Very capable chassis w/ great capabilities and is pretty much the "standard" for crawlers today. But the w/ the cost of a chassis from $100.00+ for a used unit to $200.00+ for a new Carbon Fiber unit, the price was an issue. The Stick was also a consideration, but the inability to adjust it's w/b to suit a 12.5 w/b and the cost were an issue.

The search:

I scoured the vendors section as well as several other hobby sites available offerings as well as the For Sale section. Several chassis looked promising only to disappoint me w/ their overall expense. The SW2 was a possible candidate only to be shot down by my desire for center chassis clearance.

I also looking at the multitude of offerings on e-bay. Talk about availability! The number of different chassis on the bay was staggering! Several different chassis designs were available. Some w/ great information and sellers w/ great feedback. Others w/ items that just didn't seem to be up to par, a lack of information and low seller ratings! After numerous searches I decided on one from our own RCC vendors section.

The product:

I decided to go w/ Syco's PIMP CANE . Mainly because of the price (roughly $40.00) Very small size and an extremely simple and ingenious design! I figured that since it offered the attributes of the stick, the ability to be built as a 2.2 and the cost was right. It would be a great choice! I also wanted to be one of the first to try it in our local crawling scene. Some times it's fun to be the guinea pig. So I traded my 2.2 TLT rig for a 2.2 Clod rig which had a Pimp Cane chassis already installed.

When I received the Pimp Cane equipped rig, I was very pleased with the size of the unit. It is very slim and weighs only a few ozs . It doesn't have any links and uses a very cleaver mount to secure it to the chassis.

The install:

I removed the chassis from my rig and preceded to study it's design. It is extremely simple in it's design and only requires 6 nuts and bolts to attach it to the axles. This made the chassis easily removable w/ a few simple tools and only takes a few minutes. The PIMP CANE also does bot use the traditional links found on a Stick chassis. This is another great feature on the chassis. When I was finished removing the chassis, I re-installing it. I then decided it was time to install the electronics. I choose the side of the chassis to mount the receiver and ESC. I use 3M Duel Lock rather than Velcro or double sided tape. I purchased it at the local Radio Shack for less than $5.00 for ( 8 ) 2 inch pieces. I peeled the backing off and stuck the Duel Lock where it was needed. I Shoe Gooed the On/Off switch to the case rather than bolting in onto the chassis. The flat sides of the PIMP CANE made locating the electronics very easy.

The test:

After assembling the Pimp Cane and attaching the electronic. I charged the batteries and waited for out next GTG. The day of the GTG arrived and to my surprise one of our members had built a 2.2 "Stick" styled crawler. This would allow me to see for my self in a side by side comparison just how the Pimp Cane would work. During the GTG. the PIMP CANE performed well. The stability of the PIMP CANE in an off camber situation is amazing! It is very predictable and doesn't do anything that would get you in trouble. The downhill capability is very stable as well. The only area that it lacked in is it's ability to flex. It does flex and after talking to other owners of the Pimp Cane, they stated that as the chassis gets used more, the flex would increase. As it is, it worked very well!

In review:

The Pimp Cane is an exceptional chassis for a great price! It performance on the rocks is more than capable and only looks to get better w/ time. The simplicity of the design is one of it's strong points as well as it's lack of links. I would recommend it strongly to anyone looking for a inexpensive, highly capable, 2.2 chassis.

On a scale of 10. I would give the 12.5 inch w/b Pimp Cane a 8.75.

I hope this review comes in handy to others looking for a 2.2 Clod chassis that can both meet their crawling needs and still be affordable.

Dez
Attached Images

Last edited by dezfan; 09-18-2006 at 02:52 PM.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Great write up. I don't think anyone could have wrote it any better.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Colt Python/SR9c

Nice Writeup!

I am very pleased with my 2.2 pimp chassis also. I am still waiting on it to break in more, but I do not expect it too much with a 12.5" WB. I have heard so many good things about the chassis, I felt it was time to get one also. I love the simplicity of the truck and not having to deal with all the extra crap is very nice.

Very nice and simple product JB(Syco)
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
RCC Addict

X2 Real nice writeup, man
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Good job on your review Dez, as always very detailed and useful .
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

if the person with the "stick" style 2.2 clod wouldn't have been a moron and used traxxas wheels, you would have got a better run for your money!
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

"IF" is such a wonderful word!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I just feel that the PIMP CANE deserved a good review!
Old 09-18-2006, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
"IF" is such a wonderful word!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I just feel that the PIMP CANE deserved a good review!

most good review's have picture's
furdragon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by furdragon88
most good review's have picture's
Coming SOON nOOb!

Last edited by dezfan; 09-18-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Oh man... Never ask Dez for pictures...
If there is one thing he likes almost as much as post whoring it's picture posting!!!:-P
Old 09-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy
if the person with the "stick" style 2.2 clod wouldn't have been a moron and used traxxas wheels, you would have got a better run for your money!
Hello pot, this is kettle!
Old 09-18-2006, 04:36 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Lol!!!
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #13
RCC Addict

very nice review, your truck looks sweet man
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:09 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Thanks for the review dez awsome job and pics.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

great review bro.
so eh got more pics?
blazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for comments.

Can't wiat for a few others w/ the 12.5 Pimp Cane to chime in.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:59 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

i played with the 2.2 pimpcane frankyrizzo had and i was not at all impressed. the unlimited class one is impressive, but at 12.5" it has NO flex. personally i'd never buy one.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:02 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel
i played with the 2.2 pimpcane frankyrizzo had and i was not at all impressed. the unlimited class one is impressive, but at 12.5" it has NO flex. personally i'd never buy one.
Was it broke in?

Dez's doesn't flex like crazy, but it does crawl well.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #19
RCC Addict

No the one franky had was not broken in I dont think it was even ran.They need a week or so of running before they start to flex.I will say they will never flex bigtime but will hold there own on a comp course.And if you know what you are doing there are other tricks to get these trucks to flex
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Like my next version of the Grunt!

Oh, and don't say mean things in my thread!

I don't like the negative vibe it brings!:-(:-P