Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: my 1st rock crawlwer clod based.. need a few questions answered

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #1

Default my 1st rock crawlwer clod based.. need a few questions answered

i have just built a clod based crawlwer.. i used the esp rockzilla. is it a decent chasis? also what gearing would be recommended for 55 turn integy motors? what kind of runtime would i expect using the maxx amps lipo 8000mah pack? any tuning/ improvments would be great thanks and this is a great site !!
gabbyb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2006, 07:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

esp has been around along time, you dont last as long as esp making bad products so i'd be surprised if it wasnt a good chassis. 55t lathes, you can get 8t pinions and motor plates from rc4wd. 8000mah lipo?!?! could get as much as 2 hours run time
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I would watch the Lipo though depending on what ESC you are going to use. Might be a bit much.
RodyRazorBackc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Keep the 55t lathes, they provide lots of torque. In my opinion, gearing depends on tire size, and/or "intensity" of crawling. For nice, slow finessful crawling go with the 8 tooth pinions. They'll give you a nice low gear ratio with pretty much any tire (except maybe jumbo kongs). In my Gecko 2 clod I'm running 12 tooth pinions and alternating back and forth between cut maxx swamp dogs: slow crawlin for torque and control, and moab 40 series: slow crawlin for wheelspeed and bashing. What pinions do you have now and what tires are you going to run?

P.S.-- sorry for the long post and info on my truck, just trying to give you a bit of an idea on situations/setups (well as much as I can with my limited knowledge)
krawlinCJ is offline   Reply With Quote